Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidden Barn  (Read 46034 times)

michael

Hidden Barn
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:30:39 am »

This topic is for discussion of the image and commentary found in Michael's Phlog titled Hidden Barn.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Re: Hidden Barn
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:12:28 am »

Hi Michael,
I really like the brightness and tonalities of the foliage in your Hidden Barn.  I'm curious how you would print this photograph.  Would you use Quad Tone RIP or Advanced Black and White Mode in Epson?  What sort of adjustments would you make in the printer interface? 

michael

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:54:50 am »

If the image hasn't be toned, and this one hasn't, I simply use Advanced B&W mode.

I might tweak things a bit after making a test print., but that's just a matter of taste.

Michael

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »

Michael,
I know you're probably still recovering from your cologne experience, but let me ask you about the Pentax.
you wrote, that you are happy with it. I have seen a couple of pics online in reviews and first looks, and I can't shake the impression that some lenses for it are not really good. when making the move to MF, I expect to have edge to edge sharpness, as this is one thing that is really hard to get with the D810 and nikon lenses and I have tested and own about 10 of them, all worldclass on lower res bodies.
I am only interested in a very good standard, a macro for portraits and a wide(28mm~FF).
is there anything in the pentax line that you consider good enough all the way to the corners?

wishing you a colourful fall and thanks for your time
cheers from NZ
Stephan
mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

michael

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:58:44 am »

Here are three lenses that meet your needs that I would rank highly.

The 120mm Macro

The 75mm f/2.8

The 35mm f/3.5

I suggest that you look at http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-645-Medium-Format-Lenses-i4.html

This is a very valuable compendium for user reviews, scoring and ranking. Of the six lenses that I own I find that the scoring they offer closely matches my onw.

There are some people who make a generalization about Pentax 645 lenses. This is inevitable because there are so many lenses over so many years and such a rich used market in them. A bit of research will show up the gems. The ones above are among the best.

Michael

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:13:40 am »

Thanks so much Michael
will look into that
warm regards
Stephan

http://www.zobelaudio.de/blog/
mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »

Edward Hopper would love it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RWP

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:29:50 pm »

Hello Michael,

Just a comment...
First of all, thank you for taking the time to publish this phlog...I always look forward to your next image!

This is one of my favorite images in your series...as a photographer, I'm always on the lookout
for something unusual or eye catching...we all love barns for their textures and reminiscent shapes...yet
here the barn is relegated to the background...the main subject is simply the ordinary plants of an ordinary
field...how many photographers would ever have conceived of this image in the first place. Not many I think.
So you managed to take some goldenrod, dogwood, and grass....common things most would walk right by without a
second thought and create this richly compelling image....

Regards,

RWP   

michael

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:04 am »

It's an interesting exercise when shooting to identify the main subject, then make it secondary or partially obscure it.

This creates a dynamic tension, which you have quite rightly identified.

Michael

David Mills

• Outdoors for Everyone
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 04:39:57 pm »

Michael, thanks for posting the “Hidden Barn.” I happen to have an affinity for barns which began with my being married in one; the barn at my cottage almost 30 years ago. I’ve shot plenty of barns since. And, while personal preference is that I’m not a huge fan of black and white, this is perhaps the best example I’ve seen of how the photo works infinitely better in black and white. In color “not so much” in black and white, “very nice.”

AreBee

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:09:55 am »

Michael,

It's an interesting exercise when shooting to identify the main subject, then make it secondary or partially obscure it.

This creates a dynamic tension...

Do you consider that retitling the photo: Goldenrod, Dogwood and Grass would eliminate the "dynamic tension"?

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 09:06:50 am »

I agree that it creates tension ... but not a pleasant tension for me.  I prefer the image cropped with the bottom half discarded - the main subject is still partly hidden but there is then a nice balance between the light bush at the bottom left and the barn at the top right.  Just my opinion, of course :)

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:54:20 am »

It's so sad to let a good man's threads wither when so much of his imagery remains.

Is there a possibility of perhaps sort of regularly posting one of his pictures here, and then inviting comment?

People live on for at least as long as we remember them. We, us regulars here, owe him so much for different things.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:51:31 pm »

It's so sad to let a good man's threads wither when so much of his imagery remains.

Is there a possibility of perhaps sort of regularly posting one of his pictures here, and then inviting comment?

People live on for at least as long as we remember them. We, us regulars here, owe him so much for different things.

Rob
Good point, Rob.
As soon as I have more time, I will browse through Michael's "phlog" pix and add a comment or two.
He still has so much to teach us.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »

That's very kind of everyone to remember Micahel.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him.  Lot's of great memories.  You can find more images of Michael's on the Endowment page on his Pholg heading.

Of course, we and he would greatly appreciate any support for the Endowment in whatever form it could be.  This was something Micahel really believed in and we would like to keep it moving forward.  If you'd like to help in any way drop me a personal message.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up