Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss B1 Repair Help..  (Read 9940 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Arca Swiss B1 Repair Help..
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 11:59:37 am »

"then buying one and reverse engineering it is a small overall cost."

But if they do that it proves willful intent to violate the patents.

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:11:32 pm »

The P0 utilizes the asymmetrical ball that our Z head series first used.  This protects or, at least cuts down the force of your camera/Lens combo striking a leg of your tripod if you fail to tighten down enough.

Weight of the is approximately 11 to 14 oz, depending on the quick release, used.

Capacity: 46lbs leverage weight.  This is determined by hanging the weight 12 inches from the center of the head, on a rail.

A heavy lens with a Pro style body puts a considerably heavier stress on a head, than just the raw weight.
So one needs to keep this in mind.

Panoramic movement is at the top, making pano stitching a much simpler operation then dealing with a head with base pan only.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 11:54:34 pm »

Glad to hear they're taking care of you, despite the hurdles.

Thanks.  Precision Camera is great.  Arca on the other hand has really upset me.. but I can't think of a way of sharing my experience without also hurting Precision Camera.. so I won't.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Rod.Klukas

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 12:29:28 am »

Ah, but then you have the Chinese who do not recognize almost any patents out there....

Rod

Rod Klukas

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »

Panoramic movement is at the top, making pano stitching a much simpler operation then dealing with a head with base pan only.
Rod

It's true, but... 1) during the panoramic movement  the head of my P0 doesn't remain perfectly levelled;
                 2) the movement of the ball is not very fluid (less fluid than that of my other head, Gitzo GH2780 QR);
                 3) my P0 is not very precise (less precise than my other head Gitzo GH2780 QR)
                 4) the slidefix clamp of my P0 doesn't work well (doesn't tighten completely)

nevertheless I prefer to use it instead of the Gitzo...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:15:49 pm by muntanela »

Rod.Klukas

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 11:02:01 am »

If you are moving the head with the ball loose, and no camera mounted, it will feel a bit rough.
Put it on a tripod and mount a camera and it should feel much smoother.

Also vis-a-vis leveling:  The levels on any head are only as good as your eye.  If you level the head using the head level, a tiny error is is greater 2,4 or 5, inches above
the platform. That is why using a level in or on the camera, at as close to the highest point possible, is always the most accurate. 
The levels in ours, or any manufacturers, heads are to get you close to perfect, as I said above, are not the end all.
I always us my camera's level, when leveling to get the platform level for panning.

The plates for slidefix are polarized so must be mounted correctly.  The lever for slide fix, is pulled out to seat plate.  But then it should be pressed into center to finsh locking plate in place. It will sort of click to position. If this is not true then send it to precision for an adjustment.
5 year warranty.
Hope this helps,
Rod
Rod Klukas

SangRaal

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 11:56:45 am »

Maybe someday our government will actually enforce the Magnuson Moss Warranty act and addenda that requires mfgs to post schematics and make repair parts available.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 04:59:27 pm »

If you are moving the head with the ball loose, and no camera mounted, it will feel a bit rough.
Put it on a tripod and mount a camera and it should feel much smoother.

Also vis-a-vis leveling:  The levels on any head are only as good as your eye.  If you level the head using the head level, a tiny error is is greater 2,4 or 5, inches above
the platform. That is why using a level in or on the camera, at as close to the highest point possible, is always the most accurate. 
The levels in ours, or any manufacturers, heads are to get you close to perfect, as I said above, are not the end all.
I always us my camera's level, when leveling to get the platform level for panning.

The plates for slidefix are polarized so must be mounted correctly.  The lever for slide fix, is pulled out to seat plate.  But then it should be pressed into center to finsh locking plate in place. It will sort of click to position. If this is not true then send it to precision for an adjustment.
5 year warranty.
Hope this helps,
Rod

Thank you for the advice, Rod. I use the head on the tripod with the camera mounted and use indeed the electronic level in camera...
Certainly I press the lever etc, but there isn't any click and after a while it goes back and the clamp loosens, the clamp of the (Arca Swiss) L-bracket, on the contrary, works perfectly.
Even with this defect, the camera is sufficiently blocked and I don't lose shots, even with the 70-200 2.8 or in macro shots. Sending it probably would mean sending it to France (I think there is no assistance in Italy) and I can go on well enough so.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 05:20:06 pm »

Maybe someday our government will actually enforce the Magnuson Moss Warranty act and addenda that requires mfgs to post schematics and make repair parts available.
Wouldn't that be nice..

I'm old enough to remember how great Sears was because you could go in and find any part for any product on their microfiche and repair almost anything indefinitely.  You could get factory new parts for decades..

And then things started to change.  Factory new parts turned into factory warranty parts.. now you might have a car 7-8 years old with zero support on critical parts.  I bought a 1999 Mustang Cobra new.. ordered it from the factory.  Five years later most of the Cobra specific parts were permanently out of stock, and repairing this car in some areas and regards is the same as repairing a Model-T.    Ford knows all the GT and even 6 banger owners will buy Cobra trim parts especially because they think it makes their car cool.. so why not produce them in enough numbers to serve their customers?  I went on a quest to find out.  Each car model is different, but after approximately 7-9 years Ford sells all their stock of parts from all their dealerships.. to an "old stock" dealer.  This guy is centrally located and as long as the parts hold out the dealers can now order the parts through them.  At 4-5 times the price.  That's the only way this guy can make money.. so they say.  Why not leave them at their respective dealerships and ship them where needed when ordered?  It's a lot cheaper (for the dealership) to pack them all up once.. at the end of the 7-9 year period.. and ship them out to the old-stock dealer.  Then, the customer pays for shipping on each individual part.. and the dealer doesn't need to pay for space for this inventory or be vested in it's worth.  It's all about the dealer!

Anyway.. the ability to fix things is becoming a lost art.  I learned to do it because I came from a family without much money and that's just what we did.  We couldn't even consider paying someone to fix our car, or washing machine, toaster, etc..  And there used to be a fix it shop in town.. but we couldn't afford to go there either.. :(   So the guy/gal in each family with the natural ability and desire became the families fix it guy..  which can keep a guy busy.

Now, despite two graduate degrees which no one in my family, or even on my block since my wife has no idea I have.. everyone in my neighbourhood thinks I'm a mechanic or a carpenter or a landscaper and one guy thinks I fix televisions.   They actually knock on my door and think they're being nice by bringing me work.  I stopped doing this for a while when I lived in Thailand.. but now my college age son is living with me so I'm teaching him stuff and we get to spend time together.  They wonder how a 21 year old kid can drive a nice BMW.. easy, buy a broken one cheap from someone who can't afford BMW service prices and fix it yourself.  Cheaper than a Honda that way.  Seriously.   

Boy have I digressed.. I could talk about this subject forever.  In the car world, the guy who raced who had the power used to be the guy with the biggest collection of catalogues and knew where to get things.  Now anyone can look up anything on their smart phone in 15-20 seconds.  Televisions once out of warranty aren't repaired, they're replaced.  Remodelling a kitchen used to cost a few grand, now you have to take out a second.    And the city wisely (and infuriatingly) wants permits for even the smallest repair just to keep people from hurting themselves or sending blackwater into the fresh water supply..

If our country ever has the much talked about meltdown.. most people are going to starve.  And walk.  No wonder the number of preppers is growing exponentially..

Enough already.. sorry for the dribble..

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:46 pm »

My B1 arrived via UPS today and it DOES NOT WORK LIKE NEW.  Nope, it works about 1000% better than new.  NOW it matches up to the way I read it was always supposed to work.  Wow..

A big thank you to Precision Camera not just for good service.. but for their understanding.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 11:24:22 pm »

I sent my Z1 to Precision Camera about three years ago and my initial concerns of the high repair cost were put to rest when I received the ballhead back. Exactly the same reaction as you. 1000% better!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up