Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF 8400+ICC & RIP software  (Read 3383 times)

Jantórur Emil Joensen

Canon IPF 8400+ICC & RIP software
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »

Hi there.
I got a canon ipf 8400, i´m a amateure hobby photographer with a printer, i dont use it much, but i have done some printing for other people, and i´m not so sure about where i am, i have no knowledge except from trying by my self, the printing looks really good, by then i have nothing to compare with
and for now there are some things that i hope to get some answer on. :)
RIP software, i dont have any rip, i´m thinking about getting posterjet, after reading some about it online i start wanting that, i have guessed that this rip software will help me use my media more efficient, +more, can someone try to explane to me what rip software is good for ?.
ICC profile, i have tried some Hahnemuhle Monet Canvas and i got the ICC for that, i also got them in lightroom4 witch i use when i´m printing, but i´m not sure i´m doing it right, i try to attach a screenshot to explain what i mean, is it possible to get icc profile in printer driver or is it not necessary ?.

I think what i really need i one on one lesson, but where i live there is no one to get it from. :(

Jantórur

jvadasz

Re: Canon IPF 8400+ICC & RIP software
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »

Jantorur,

In the image you posted you noted the Media configuration setting. I am new to the Canon as well but have noticed that with many of the manufacturer profiles a media configuration file is included. I don't use the paper you have so I don't know if the manufacturer supplies one for your paper. If they do the file will end in ".am1" and can be imported with the Media Configuration Tool. (Should be available on the canon web page).

Even if they do not you should be able to make one,likely as a copy of the one you are already using. I have not done that but am am sure someone in the forum could walk you through it.

I can't help you with the rip as I don't use one.

--Jeff

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:16:00 am »

As the one who use printer to pay his bill, I can 100% surly tell you that you DON'T need a RIP.
Do you do high volume work?
Do you do CMYK proofs?
Do you do Vector art work?
Do you know how to make a CMYK+RGB ICC profile correctly?

If you can't say yes of any of these question, you don't need a RIP.

For most photographer, a printer driver does what they need already, in a superb way.
So, don't waste you money and time on a RIP, just pay more attention on your photography :)

aaron

Jantórur Emil Joensen

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 02:04:59 am »

Thank you for rapid reply.

Jeff. As soon as i get home i´l try to find out what you did mention.

But what about in lightroom, where i can choose to set managed by printer or i can choose as in this case Hahnemuhle Monet Canvas, if i choose the second, does that take over or is it the printer driver at all times that i need to set in correct profile ?.

Aaron.

I must confess i did say no to all of those you set up there= i dont need a rip, BUT is it true that with a rip i can print say 2 different pic side by side= reduse unused space ?, and can i with a rip do longer prints (have read something that printer driver has a limit witch is abour 3 meters in length)

Thanks again. :) 

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:30 am »

Hello,

But what about in lightroom, where i can choose to set managed by printer or i can choose as in this case Hahnemuhle Monet Canvas, if i choose the second, does that take over or is it the printer driver at all times that i need to set in correct profile ?

Hahnemühle dos not provide .am1 media setting files, unfortunately. I keep asking them and they say they are working on it.
You should set the profile in lightroom. On the printer driver you must have set the paper type to the custom paper created by you (as Hahnemühle does not provide the .am1 file) or the "special 9" as they suggest for matte media. The color mode on the driver must be set to "no color correction".

(...) BUT is it true that with a rip i can print say 2 different pic side by side= reduse unused space ?, and can i with a rip do longer prints (have read something that printer driver has a limit witch is abour 3 meters in length) 

You can do the nesting part in lightroom on the "custom package" option with a bit of manual labor. Or you can do pretty much all you said (and more) with Qimage Ultimate by a fraction of the price of any true RIP. Far superior nesting capabilities than lighroom and a lot of other benefits as well. Google it, download the trial, watch the tutorial videos and give it a try.

Good luck.

Jantórur Emil Joensen

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:17:58 am »

Geraldo.

Thank you for you´r input/advise.

I know i can do some in Lightroom, but i think it take to much of my time, now i must  have a look at Qimage Ultimate. :)

I have to do some testing with that "special9" you mention, i have the driver set t   no color correction.

Jantórur
Pages: [1]   Go Up