Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to Gator Board  (Read 11825 times)

huguito

Alternatives to Gator Board
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:44:30 pm »

I use Gator board to mount canvas and Epson Hot Press paper.
For the mounting I use Miracle Muck, I may try hot pressing one of this day.
After that I place the mounted prints on frames without glass

I like the fact that gator Board, even in prints that are several square feet in size, remains flat once is cured.
I dislike the prices, my prints are not for sale, so I pinch every penny I can. And my the closer source I have is an hour away, or has a very expensive delivery fee because the size of the package, I buy 32x40 sheets.

Is there any alternative to use Gator board for the type of mounting I just described with lower prices?
Would be nice if the alternative is an archival material

Hugo

jferrari

Re: Alternatives to Gator Board
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:29 am »

Hugo, I am using the PSA MightyCore for dry mounting my canvas products. I buy 4 by 8 sheets by the case and cut to size. Less expensive than the Gator and no waiting for the muck to dry, just peel and stick.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

geezerhood

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:55:05 am »

Jim,

Where do you get your MightyCore?  It sounds like I would like to try some.

--------------

Hugo,

The cheapest mounting surface I have found is hardboard aka Masonite. You do need to seal it if you want an archival mounting surface. $13 for a 4x8 sheet at the lumber yard.  Not rigid enough for really big stuff but a 32" 3/16 thick sheet seems to hold up well. 1/8th inch thick tempered does fine in 11x14 sizes.   A LOT heavier than foam core of course.  It has to be cut with a saw then the edges smoothed with a sander. 

In the past they said not to use tempered board due to the oils on / in it but everything I am reading says that today's tempered board no longer has the oil issue and is actually preferred to non tempered for art use.

Don

jferrari

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:19:33 am »

Don, I use DonMar for the MightyCore. I have to ship my products so weight is an issue. The Masonite is pretty heavy and since it is a wood product it will change dimension with changes in relative humidity which could lead to warping. The MightyCore is not hygroscopic and I can go from printer to press (over-laminate so I don't need glass) to foam core and trim to final dimension in minutes. I have even done it while the customer waited. You can even double layer (two pieces of MightyCore) if you need to go large.    - Jim

huguito

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:34 pm »

Hi Don
How do you seal the masonite panels before attaching the print to it?

Hi Ferrari
I just priced Gator Board and Mighty board on Dick Blik art supply store, here in LA.
The Mighty board is about half the price, but I think the one they carry doesn't have a peel off adhesive face. Have you tried Miracle muck or dry mounting to mighty board? 
I just don't want to deal with bowing issues, my prints are 20x30 or bigger.
Thanks for the info

Hugo

jferrari

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:16 pm »

Hi Hugo! The MightyCore foamcore board is pretty flat for the 24" by 36" canvas prints that I do for my clients and if I double the MightyCore (two layers thick) I can do 40 by 60 with terrific results. If DickBlick doesn't stock the PSA MightyCore then I will tell you that I have had great success using the 3M Super 77 spray adhesive with regular MightyCore but using MM I encountered lots of bubbling and uneven spots, plus I had to wait for several hours for the MM to cure. They don't recommend using MightyCore for dry mounting in a vacuum press due to the likelihood that it may warp which has been my experience.

Although I have not checked into it you might be able to use the 1/2" thick MightyCore for large prints for less money than two layers of the 3/16" or 1/4" product or even the Gator Board, not sure.     - Jim

geezerhood

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:27:44 pm »

Hi Don
How do you seal the masonite panels before attaching the print to it?

My main use for masonite is for artwork done with oils directly on the panel or sanded pastel paper dry mounted to the panel. I seal it with gesso for the paintings which is not what you would want to use, but any archival sealant would work. A self leveling synthetic clear or colored sealer sprayed on would give you a flatter surface to dry mount to than brushed on gesso.  You can sand out and re-seal any blobs that might happen in the sealing process.  I have quite a bit of free time, being semi-retired, so the time it takes to prep a sheet of masonite is well worth the savings for me.  I also prefer to paint on the panels that I prepared myself vs. commercially made stuff.

You will want to seal both sides and the edges to prevent warping and to make it an archival support. It is pretty difficult to cut and finish perfectly compared to foam core or mat board so unless you have a table saw and other tools you may want to have the lumber yard cut to size first for you.  Without the right tools and some time spent, a mounted print with exposed edges and no frame on it might be difficult to make it look nice, but if you are putting them in frames, then the look of the edge is not that critical.  If you added a furring strip frame (like a stretched canvas has) to the back of it, you could do "gallery wraps" that would be quite durable and flat but with some serious protection and support for the canvas in the middle of the frame, which a gallery wrap does not have.

I have not mounted any photos on masonite personally, but based on how well it holds up with my paintings on it, I would say it is worth a try considering how cheap it is. Even the 1/8th inch stuff is definitely more rigid than mat board and more durable than regular foam core ( and a LOT cheaper than either of those too).  Be sure to buy it from a lumberyard that keeps it stored flat and indoors. The Home Depot here has it on three arm supports and their entire inventory is warped and wavy because they are not properly supported, though they do eventually lay flat once cut to size unless they have been seriously mistreated by the store.

You can also buy hardboard panels dimensionally cut and ready to prime from some art supply sources.  Jerry's has the Ampersand brand in various styles. I don't know how the pre-made panels compare in price to the Mightboard and Gatorboard but if you don't want to deal with cutting them yourself, check them out.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/canvas-and-boards/canvas-panels-and-boards/ampersand-hardbord-panels/ampersand-hardbord-1/8-flat-panels.htm

For what its worth, Bay Photo offers masonite dry mounting:  http://www.bayphoto.com/mounting-finishing/masonite/
Several other photo labs offer masonite mounting of their prints.

huguito

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:33:35 am »

Thanks guys, very good info
I will buy tomorrow a piece of masonite and one of plywood and paint them both with a sealer before mounting a test print on each.
I will try Miracle muck and dry mounting with my press in each case.
I let you know the results, we may be on to something
Pages: [1]   Go Up