Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper, metal and canvas trends?  (Read 12193 times)

jtunney

Paper, metal and canvas trends?
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:18 pm »

Anyone noticing any trends with paper, metal or canvas prints? I do shows in the northeast and only print on paper. I ran into a guy from the southwest at a show here who does all canvas. He said he was surprised to see so little canvas or aluminum in the region. According to him, canvas is dominant in the Midwest and west, with very little paper being displayed. Aluminum was hot for a while, but seems to be fading.

Just curious if others agree or not.

John
John

John Tunney Photography
www.jtunney.com
Four Seasons of Cape Cod

Gary Damaskos

Re: Paper, metal and canvas trends?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »

Anyone noticing any trends with paper, metal or canvas prints? I do shows in the northeast and only print on paper. I ran into a guy from the southwest at a show here who does all canvas. He said he was surprised to see so little canvas or aluminum in the region. According to him, canvas is dominant in the Midwest and west, with very little paper being displayed. Aluminum was hot for a while, but seems to be fading.

Just curious if others agree or not.

John

I think his statement is at least somewhat accurate, maybe highly accurate. I personally hate canvass for most situations, and I love paper. Aluminum is interesting and worthy of some applications for sure.  Crazy or not though, I am sticking with my idea of "art" even it means bucking the trends and being sentenced to oblivion. So I will be printing on paper in various forms until I am not.
Cheers,
Gary

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:21 pm »

We offer canvas wraps, Duraplaqs, metal prints and regular prints at our gallery in Moab.  Canvas wraps outsell everything else by a wide margin.  Metal prints are picking up steam and have sold quite well this year too, especially in black and white.  We're bringing in more of them next year, along with face mount acrylic prints.  I don't know if this would be considered a "trend" but it has been our experience over the last three years.

biggiesnows

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:14:50 am »

I work at a photo gallery in Lake Tahoe where we sell both canvas and metal. We cover the rent with smaller canvas sales but make the bigger money selling 40x60 metal prints. Keep in mind there are a lot of very wealthy people around here for whom the price tag of the big metal prints is not a problem.

aaronchan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »

Canvas is good for some situation only
so does aluminium.
But image on paper is the most basic thing on photography
remember this, the image worths a lot more than where it's on.

aaron

riddell

• Pro photographer Hertfordshire
    • Commercial photographer London / Hertfordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:20:28 am »

I've noticed that a lot depends on locations simply by how affluent those areas are.
But there is also a factor as in how 'flashy' some areas are and maybe that even affects things more.

However the most important factor is probably just how good a photographer you are. If you are taking excellent, attention grabbing, technically good photos then people are more likely to want them as a large canvas or whatever.

Then that customers friends see them on the wall, and its a conversation starter and they want the same and from there it snowballs....

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

brinked

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 04:10:22 pm »

There are a lot of photographers who are not aware of metal prints.  I have a local client who I see daily and is becoming very popular in the underwater photography category and at his shows, he receives a lot of attention because his metal prints stand out so much compared to everyone else who mostly have frames canvas/paper prints.

Each artist is different and each art subject is different as well.  My home is Mediterranean themed so a metal print just would not match and would look out of place.

My metal photo lab is right next door to a very popular marine artist who has his work licensed by several major companies and clothing brands.  he loves the metal prints but he simply can not offer it because his style is canvas, hand painted and a metal print just doesnt work for him.

With that said, Metal Prints are here to stay.  They are more for the contemporary/modern home and people who want something unique.  besides being cool and unique, they are also practical since they dont require a frame.  If I were to say a particular medium is fading, I would say its the acrylic prints being pushed out by metal prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up