Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie question on calibration  (Read 986 times)

ymc226

Newbie question on calibration
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:24:48 pm »

Using LR5, 2 screens (NEC PA 271W and NEC 241W), ImagePrint 9 and SpectraView II.

I made my own viewing "booth" using track lighting and 3 fixtures using Solux natural daylight 4700K bulbs.

Printing using an Epson 3880 and matte paper (Canson Rag Photographique).

The screen view appears that it has more contrast with darker shadows and more vibrant colors than the paper print. 

Should I then decrease the target contrast and intensity on the Spectraview settings?  (current settings on the 24 monitor:  White point  5000K, intensity 225, contrast 50:1)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Newbie question on calibration
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »

The screen view appears that it has more contrast with darker shadows and more vibrant colors than the paper print. 

You are softproofing, right? But even with softproofing, a light-emitting medium (screen) will never look exactly the same as a light-reflecting screen, and the differences you describe are just what you would expect.

Also, why a viewing booth? Unless your clients and gallery visitors also use a viewing booth, it seems totally pointless.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Newbie question on calibration
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »

Using LR5, 2 screens (NEC PA 271W and NEC 241W), ImagePrint 9 and SpectraView II.

Should I then decrease the target contrast and intensity on the Spectraview settings?  (current settings on the 24 monitor:  White point  5000K, intensity 225, contrast 50:1)
I don't know of anyone who has their monitors set that bright or their contrast value so low.  Just as reference my brightness setting is 115 and my contrast ratio is 450:1  This works well for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up