Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider Digitar Question  (Read 4504 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Schneider Digitar Question
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

As far as I can tell the KAF-51000 does date back to 2008.  As it's a Kodak chip, I assume it has the same base characteristics as the KAF-39000 (I believe this is the chip in the P45+). 

For my work, I will take the vastly improved DR of the Dalsa and live with the cross talk.  The P45+ for me was also a base iso camera of 50, and even at 50 it easily blew out highlights.  Shadows tended to get blotchy if you did not overexpose for them.  I used a P45+ for almost 4 years and still have more hours on it than either the IQ160 or IQ260.  Only a few of these are tech camera hours, but I did realize in my evaluations, that yes the P45+ could easily handle full shifts of the SK43 or SK35.  I just wanted more resolution and was hoping for a bit more range in iso by moving to the Dalsa Phase backs.

The Dalsa 60MP chips are a so far a pretty good compromise on the crosstalk as long as the Rodenstock lenses are in use.  I started with Schneiders and ended up having to gradually move to the Rodenstock lineup.  The 60MP current Dalsa gives me 15mm of horizontal shifts with what I feel are minimal cross talk problems with the Rodenstock 40mm and Schneider 60XL.  The ability that is key for me is that the Dalsa will handle exposing to the right with much more tolerance, thus giving me cleaner shadows, no need to bracket and I can recover my highlights. 

I just wish to be able to have this same capability at iso400, which on the IQ160 or IQ260 I feel can't be done, without excessive noise.  And sensor plus as good as it sounds, just is not a solution for me.  I had greatly hoped that the IQ260 in the "long exposure setting" for iso 400 would give some advantage and relief in noise, but it doesn't appear to do that with my shots. 

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

torger

Re: Schneider Digitar Question
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »

Yep, the shadow cleaness of the 50 megapixel KAF-51000 is surely nothing to be impressed about with today's standards. According to what I've seen with my own eyes and more reliably the data found on DxOmark the noise levels are about the same as the backs with the 39 megapixel sensor (or any of the 22 or 33 megapixel backs). This is old technology.

The smaller pixel Dalsas have cleaner shadows, and then Sony's CMOS which is even better. Currently there is no "have it all" solution :-\

So it depends on one's needs and tastes. I'm myself quite used to working with "noisy" cameras (shooting Canon and legacy MFDBs) so I'm okay with the noise levels out of the older sensors including this Kodak, but I do understand that one can have other priorities.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up