Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ethernet or cat5 connection pieces  (Read 1014 times)

billy

ethernet or cat5 connection pieces
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

i am wiring the internet from my house to a new small building in my backyard. i bought ethernet or cat5 wire to connect my router to my 2010 mac pro. how do you get the plastic tab pieces to go on to the raw wire so that i can plug it in to both devices? it seems there must be a 'crimper' tool to snap the plastic pieces onto the wire, am I correct? where or how do i get this done? can i do it myself? i live in USA.

degrub

Re: ethernet or cat5 connection pieces
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:57:48 am »

Depending on how far and what is in the ground you can create an electrical ground loop that will either cause signal noise problems or burn out the ports.
Are both building electrical grounds on the same grounding rod or are they separate ? If the same, then you should be ok. If there is a separate electrical drop to a  panel in the out building, you may develop issues. Opto isolators or point to point wireless will eliminate the issue.

Home Depot or Lowes have the crimper for CAT5 / 5e. Radio Shack as well. Many computer parts stores as well. Or online.

Frank

Joe Towner

Re: ethernet or cat5 connection pieces
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

I'd actually go the other route - don't put 'male' ends on the cable you have coming out of the wall.  Do a female jack, as it will allow you to plug in any length of cable within the outbuilding.  This one is tool-less, and as long as you follow the color coding (do both ends as either 'A' OR 'B') it should work.  The crimper can be a pain without practice.  Available with wall plates and in any color you want.

http://www.deepsurplus.com/Network-Structured-Wiring/Ethernet-CAT5e-RJ45-Keystone-Connectors-Toolless/Cat-5E-Keystone-Jack-Blue-Toolless
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up