Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help On Lens Choice  (Read 1781 times)

rollsman44

Help On Lens Choice
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:15:06 pm »

I just purchased the H3D2-31 with the 80/2.8    I was thinking of selling my 80 and buying the 50-110 zoom.  I would like to get a wider lense and a longer one for portraits. This 50-110 will do what I need.
   Any pros and cons you can offer to me. greatly appreciated.

Joe Towner

Re: Help On Lens Choice
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:58:40 pm »

It all depends on what you shoot.  I like the 50-110, but I like the 35-90 more.  Do you have access to a rental shop?
t: @PNWMF

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:28:04 am »

No I don't. I can't afford the 30-90.  Thank you  I shoot Portarits and Group shots and landscapes( NOW MY Hobby)

orc73

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:57:28 am »

negatives: weight, higher Fstop compared to the 80mmm/100mm
pro: quality,price,same fstop as the 50mm,no need to change lenses,safe you a lot of money comparing to buying a 50/80/100

If you can handle the weight in your hands, and don't need the extra light at 100mm, go for it.

sarinale

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:21:10 am »

I sold the zoom a while ago as it weighs about 2 kilos and is impossible to carry. Handheld shots are very difficult given the weight of the lens. Otherwise the quality is very good, but I would personally never sell the 80mm lens. In fact, I only use the 80 mm for portraits now. If you need a wider lens, you should consider adding a 50mm.

JV

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:41:50 am »

The 50-110 is optically a very good lens but as already mentioned very heavy indeed, if you do a lot of handheld shooting you might want to try it out first.

Ken R

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 02:15:35 pm »

The 50-110 is optically a very good lens but as already mentioned very heavy indeed, if you do a lot of handheld shooting you might want to try it out first.

Yes it is super heavy and worse of all, Front Heavy. Great lens but for portraits use handheld I much rather use the 80, 100 or the 150.

rollsman44

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »

Thank you all. I am keeping my 80/2.8. 

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »

Hey Rollsman,

You've got a few threads going, which isn't helpful for tracking advice and other bits of information.  Based off other posts, you're in Delaware, and have had a number of different questions.  To better answer your Cirrus adapter question, there is a major issue you are overlooking.  Hasselblad has an adapter for V lenses on H bodies, and there are two things of note - the lever to cock the shutter, and the sync cable that goes to the sync port on the lens.  The Cirrus adapter has neither of these.  Remember, your H body doesn't have a shutter, it relies on the lens shutter working correctly.

The 80/2.8 is a great lens.  It works well, is really light and other than taking a 67mm filter size, it's a easy baseline.  It takes the 1.7x H tele adapter really well - consider getting a used one - it is the cheapest way to double your lens collection.  The 50-110 is heavy, but I've done some great work with it hand held (outdoors with good light).  The 50-110 is also kind of fragile in that it doesn't like sitting on the front element.

You have rental options - you just may not know them as well.  http://www.hasselbladusa.com/about-hasselblad/rental-locator.aspx is a good start.  http://Borrowlenses.com will send to you directly, and they have partner retailers. 

Shooting portraits and groups, you want the fluid workflow with a H lens.  Landscapes allow you to slow down and consider other options.  You can get a mount plate for a few cameras like the Mamiya RZ or the Fuji GX680 and use the back (when powered via firewire).  Anything else like a Cambo or a Alpa FPS cost more than adding native lenses.

Hope this helps,
-Joe
t: @PNWMF

rollsman44

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:06 pm »

Thank you Joe for all the info. I appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up