Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 500 F4 lens cap?  (Read 5991 times)

scubarob639

500 F4 lens cap?
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:51:32 pm »

Just got a new Canon500 F4 and somewhat disappointed in the hood mounting and boot/cap for it.  Does anyone make a decent cap for use with out the hood?

Thanks

David R. Gurtcheff

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 02:46:36 pm »

Just got a new Canon500 F4 and somewhat disappointed in the hood mounting and boot/cap for it.  Does anyone make a decent cap for use with out the hood?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't have a suggestion for a rigid cap, but while in the field, I use one of those plastic baggie things with elastic around them. They are intended to pull over a bowl to keep food fresh.
I agree that the supplied cap/cover is a real clunker, as is the supplied carrying trunk. I bought a soft Tenba case for transporting my lens. The supplied case would probably work as a carry on airplane luggage to transport the lens, but is too big/heavy for normal transport.
Regards
Dave

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 03:07:08 pm »

You might consider the Hood Hat, made by Op/Tech. They come in various sizes to fit either with or without the hood. They are neoprene socks that go over the end of the lens and fit snugly. Easy to get on and off. B&H carries them, I'm sure among others.
michael sebast

scubarob639

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 05:20:20 pm »

I don't have a suggestion for a rigid cap, but while in the field, I use one of those plastic baggie things with elastic around them. They are intended to pull over a bowl to keep food fresh.
I agree that the supplied cap/cover is a real clunker, as is the supplied carrying trunk. I bought a soft Tenba case for transporting my lens. The supplied case would probably work as a carry on airplane luggage to transport the lens, but is too big/heavy for normal transport.
Regards
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Dave.  I like the bowl cover, It should work great and it's cheap!

Rob

David R. Gurtcheff

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:47:59 pm »

Thanks Dave.  I like the bowl cover, It should work great and it's cheap!

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're welcome Rob. Good luck with the 500mm...it's an awsome lens. I have even made 20"x30"s using the Canon 2X with it.
Dave

dave miner

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 02:42:54 am »

Quote from: scubarob639,Nov 13 2005, 04:51 AM
Just got a new Canon500 F4 and somewhat disappointed in the hood mounting and boot/cap for it.  Does anyone make a decent cap for use with out the hood?

Look here, Wal-Mart had both in stock. They fit perfect.
Dave

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=15406314
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 02:43:50 am by dave miner »

akclimber

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:43:53 pm »

Just got a new Canon500 F4 and somewhat disappointed in the hood mounting and boot/cap for it.  Does anyone make a decent cap for use with out the hood?

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Contact Chas Glatzer here:

[a href=\"http://www.shootthelight.com/]http://www.shootthelight.com/[/url]

He often has alternative Corningware lids/caps for sale if you can't find one locally.  I think he only sells lids for the hood tho.

For the lens itself, check the forums over on www.Naturescapes.net for more info.  There are a few threads on the topic.  I just dug around our kitchen until I found an old Tupperware lid that fit the lens perfectly. :-)

CHeers!

Hank

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:09:49 pm »

It's not elegant, and perhaps it will be too embarrassing for you to use, but I have found a solution that works really well for me:  A cheap plastic shower cap.  It's plenty big, wads to nothing in a pocket, and the elastic really holds it on the lens well.  After lurking around with a clear one, I finally acknowledged my perversity and got one with big bright flowers on it.  

AJSJones

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 12:24:45 am »

The Corning part #'s are F-24-PC and F-16-PC for the hood and lens respectively

That info got me to the following :

A seller on eBay has the pair here (one for lens one for hood) - the nearest WalMart to me is a long way away...

roli_bark

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 01:20:00 am »

Make yourself one from Carton paper. I'm not kidding, the original Canon Lens Cap may look fancy (with a simulated Black Leather coat and all preps), but inside it's made of hard-paper...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 01:22:10 am by roli_bark »

Gadget_Man

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 11:50:06 pm »

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes,  I CNC machined a percision cap for the Canon 500mm F4 IS  L series lens.  
Send me an email to donzeck@comcast.net  for additional information.  I have some extra!

Good luck
Don

Gadget_Man

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 11:57:02 pm »

It's not elegant, and perhaps it will be too embarrassing for you to use, but I have found a solution that works really well for me:  A cheap plastic shower cap.  It's plenty big, wads to nothing in a pocket, and the elastic really holds it on the lens well.  After lurking around with a clear one, I finally acknowledged my perversity and got one with big bright flowers on it.   :D
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If  you are interested, I have some Canon lens caps for the longer 400mm 500mm and 600mm lenses   They were custom CNC machined to fix perfectly and function with the hood on or with the hood off.
send me an email if you would like some details.   They are very nice.  Professional quality.
    donzeck@comcast.net

Gadget_Man

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:58:04 pm »

Thanks Dave.  I like the bowl cover, It should work great and it's cheap!

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are interested, I have some Canon lens caps for the longer 400mm 500mm and 600mm lenses They were custom CNC machined to fix perfectly and function with the hood on or with the hood off.
send me an email if you would like some details. They are very nice. Professional quality.
donzeck@comcast.net

dot-borg

500 F4 lens cap?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 02:06:29 pm »

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here you go.
[a href=\"http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/]http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/[/url]
Whoever said "a picture is worth a thous
Pages: [1]   Go Up