Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens compensation in DSLR  (Read 1116 times)

EinstStein

Lens compensation in DSLR
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:27:25 pm »

Almost if not all mirrorless cameras use in-camera lens compensation to boost their brand-name lens performance. The impact to wide angle lens is huge. In Leica M, it is ignorable for tele lens, but for Fujifilm and M43, it can also be helpful for tele lens to correct the distortion.

Dont know any DSLR is applying this techniwue yet. Why?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Lens compensation in DSLR
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:46:17 pm »

I believe that at least the D810 does in jpg mode for supported Nikon lenses, not sure about other Nikon bodies.

Cheers,
Bernard

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:21:15 pm »

Dont know any DSLR is applying this techniwue yet. Why?

both Nikon and Canon do... Ricoh/Pentax does... the difference probably is that for example for m43 it is not something that users can control (not able to switch the correction off), unless using raw converters that ignore manufacturers desire (= not Adobe for example, at least not w/o tricks to fool ACR/LR).

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »

I think most current DSLRs do this for in-camera JPEGs. For raw files, the raw processing applications can do the same thing -- I have Lightroom set up to automatically apply the corrections for my DSLRs on import.

I do agree that the main difference is that one can choose not to do this for most DSLR systems (by shooting raw and turning off corrections) but for mirrorless it's more difficult.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:05 pm »

Fujifilm and Lumix successfully turned a rather average lens into a superb one. Turning it off  is to show the weakness, why should they?
On the other hand, why DSLR shows the weakness?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:54:40 pm by EinstStein »

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »

Fujifilm and Lumix successfully turned a rather average lens into a superb one. Turning it off is to show the weakness, why should they?
On the other hand, why DSLR shows the weakness?  

Since software can compensate for chromatic & spherical aberrations, why not go further and eliminate optical corrections that end up causing other issues…like the weird moustache distortion in ultra-wide angle lenses that typically results from attempts to reduce barrel distortion? Since Fuji, Panasonic & Olympus have started fresh with their X and m43 systems they've been able to approach lens design with software correction in mind. This isn't about allowing "weakness" but rather just taking advantage of new techniques. I imagine the same thing is happening in SLR lens design too, yet there are many older but still native lenses for SLR cameras to deal with. And older cameras that new lenses have to work with. This may explain whatever lack of consistency there is re. firmware correction in the SLR realm.

-Dave-

EinstStein

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 12:08:14 pm »

The kit lens review I know rated very high on the mirrorless kit, but the DSLR kit still rated so so.
I don't think DSLR kit is treated with digital compensation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up