Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800E vs 810  (Read 12512 times)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Nikon D800E vs 810
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 11:26:37 pm »

from previous reports I would have never guessed the 800/e was such a flawed camera

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but.. There are more flawed photographers than there are flawed cameras. The whole shebang about the D800 started after Ming Thein's blog about the AF and then of course, pixel peeper extraordinaire Lloyd chambers joined the festivities.  I was very concerned when I bought one, but till date, it has fared no worse than my bajillion years old D70s or my Mamiya 645 DF+. The hit/ miss ratio on all the cameras is about the same. The D800 actually hits focus most times with an 8 stop ND on the lens, which is quite impressive.

(Near wide open, 50 1.8G )

In fact, the only major complaints I have of the D800 is the color rendition (Topic for another time) and the sub par live view. I don't use LV much, but when I do, it has frustrated me. Thankfully,t hat seems to be fixed on the 810.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:30:01 pm by synn »
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:25 am »

Shooting landscapes fixing LV and adding EFCS was the big thing for me on the D810. Overall a more responsive camera and the LCD looks so much nicer :)

Yes, Lloyd Chambers pixel peeps, Don't we all when needing to compare details and IQ from a camera? How else could he report on improvements and differences? There is nothing wrong with pixel peeping as long as this is not the main purpose of photography and I don't know of any where it is like this. Sorry for the rant ;)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 05:00:06 am »

There is nothing wrong with pixel peeping as long as this is not the main purpose of photography

I agree. Problem is, that's all Chambers does and is capable of.
Anyway, let's not make the thread about him now. Point is, it was and is a fine camera and most of the issues were overly exaggerated by people who specialize in nitpicking:)

Manoli

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 07:32:20 am »

There are more flawed photographers than there are flawed cameras.

Getting wise in your old age ...
Dislike making any judgements or comments based on posted jpeg's, but gotta tell you, Synn, IMO that's probably the 'best' shot you've posted to date. Particularly the skin tones ..

Go figure ... [/smiley]

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:50 am »

How is it a problem that some are pixel peepers? We all learn and then the creative types can go and make better images. Everyone wins.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 08:43:43 am »

Getting wise in your old age ...
Dislike making any judgements or comments based on posted jpeg's, but gotta tell you, Synn, IMO that's probably the 'best' shot you've posted to date. Particularly the skin tones ..

Go figure ... [/smiley]

I do love DxO filmpack when I am toning for a cinematic look ;)

jgbowerman

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 10:47:42 am »

I waited what seemed like forever for the D800E. I was thrilled when it came out and stopped waiting for Nikon's next generation for the first time going back to my first DSLR, the D50 (Anyone say dinosaur?). I came to hate the D50 almost as much as I hated the D80. For my needs, the D700 was Nikon's first major breakthrough. And what a huge leap it was.

Like chronic software upgrades, I'm growing weary of digital camera upgrades when today's technology curve is rounding out in a fashion that allows the likes of me to say "no thanks". Sorry for my lack of endurance in this age of technology, but it does rub me a bit — built in obsolescence and whatnot. So when I read of the D810 several months after its release, I was actually surprised how quickly Nikon had made this move.

The bottom line for me is the print. I have yet to read of anyone hyping the D810 in terms of improved print quality. Everyone seems to be referring to files as viewed on a monitor, but maybe I'm missing something here. I should qualify my attitude/opinion as one coming from a landscape photographer that that shoots everything in Manual Mode. I accomplish outstanding DOF without difficulty.

My question to you converts: what's in this upgrade for the print? 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 11:32:28 am »

I come from d800e and have the d810;
The d810 is maybe slightly more precise in its rendering.... but even pixel peepers will not distinguish the two in print or screen for sure..
Colors are a bit different as is contrast. ISO64 has a little better dynamic range and cleaner image...
But the main reason to upgrade is in handling and getting the shot: better autofocus- faster- better liveview with splitscreen- highlight matrix metering etc...
also it is less noisy.
I sold my d800e so the upgrade did not cost that much...

PS
What i have learned from the d800E is to check the autofocus accuracy; it is very important with the d800e...mine was way off (-15)
The d810 is better, i got values between -1 and +3 for my AFS lenses ; but my old mechanical AF 35mm d2 needed -12
it takes time and you have to do it carefully (or not) - but it is worth it.; nevertheless it is a bad thing Nikon is not to be trusted on this point ..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:20:07 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

JRSPhotography

• JRS Photography
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »

Hi. Anybody's compared D800E with 810? Any new resolution/sharpness improvement duo to improved sensor please?

Just joined.

I have the 810, I have used the 800e, there is a great  difference better frame rate, to me better low light and better image processing
D4s, D810, D7100, D7000, Lee Filters, Nikkor 14-24, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400 Nano, 24-120 f4 and a few other bits

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up