Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the 'C' mode prob?  (Read 2128 times)

Ben Rubinstein

What happened to the 'C' mode prob?
« on: November 12, 2005, 09:25:21 pm »

Before Michael went away he posted an email detailing an issue with the 'C' mode on the 5D in which if the camera goes into sleep mode, any changes the photog has made to shutter/aperture or exposure compensation are reset.

After he posted this he was subject, as usual, to the forum bashing over the web where canon fanatics where having a go at him (Why can't they call him Michael, the way they write 'Reichmann says' is particularly offensive in context) and some poor sods trying to say that it is an annoying bug got lambasted for not being happy with what they are given, etc, etc.

Since about a week after that I've not heard any mention at all about the issue. Did it get told to Chuck Westfall? Was canon asked for a response? Will they bury it like all other bugs (heard about the AI Servo banding on the 5D) until they have a fix ready?

michael

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:34:13 pm »

The bug is serious, and remains a big problem for anyone wanting to have a custom mode capability and also save battery. It's not the end of the world, but it's real.

And, no, Canon is not saying anyhting about it. Just like they're not saying what the nature of the 24-105mm lens repair / replacement situation is all about.

Typical.

Michael

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 06:59:30 am »

For me it has two uses. In studio it's useful and the bug doesn't bother me, I shoot at a regular 1/200 f8 iso 100. I had got excited about it for street shooting. Setting the camera to RAW but the jpg's to B&W for the preview plus other custom features, and setting that up for a street shooting rig, without having to go through the menu's changing everything when I go to work that night would have been extremely useful. If however the fstop or ISO set in 'C' mode resets everytime the camera comes out of sleep, and leaving the camera fully on for hours at a time is utterly impractible, the C mode becomes far less attractive.

At the time though if I dared to mention this online I was vilified for not being happy that I had the C mode period and to quit whining, to buy a couple more batteries (the canon one's cost a heck of a lot), etc. No doubt some people will be saying that the AI Servo problem is just with certain lenses, so don't use them and stop complaining!

Because of course one should except such issues with a camera costing over $3000....
Pages: [1]   Go Up