Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anton Bauer for A7s  (Read 9883 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Anton Bauer for A7s
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:35 pm »

I'm probably over complicating things, but I'm feeling lost when it comes to power solutions for camera rigs. P-Taps, D-Taps, battery plates, gold plates...ugh.

I love the idea of having a single battery to charge my camera, one or two monitors, audio gear, etc. But I'm confused as to what power equipment is required. Everything, I feel, requires a different voltage, so it's not as simple as getting a multiple D-Tap cable and plugging everything in. Or is it? It appears everything has a proprietary, or quasi-proprietary power requirement.

Here are my power requirements, in a fairly confined shoulder rig: Sony A7s, SmallHD DP-4 EVF, the Atomos Shogun when it arrives, and a Juiced Link A-Box (it's power is self contained but I do come across situations where I need one additional power source).

What I've found, as a solution, is an Anton Bauer battery and: a Wooden Camera A7s Gold Mount http://woodencamera.com/WC-Gold-Mount-A7-A7r-A7s.html
The Gold Mount has the A7 battery and a P-Tap accessory port.

I guess my question is what do I need to bring out of the P-Tap port to power a DP-4, a Shogun and another accessory? The DP-4 takes Canon LP-E6 batteries, the Shogun takes Sony NP-F770's, and I'd like a 12V accessory (but you can't have everything haha).

Thanks for the assistance guys! Sorry to ask such a long winded question, but these are those types of things that don't have many resources for education.

JB   

bcooter

Re: Anton Bauer for A7s
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »

I'm probably over complicating things, but I'm feeling lost when it comes to power solutions for camera rigs. P-Taps, D-Taps, battery plates, gold plates...ugh.

I love the idea of having a single battery to charge my camera, one or two monitors, audio gear, etc. But I'm confused as to what power equipment is required. Everything, I feel, requires a different voltage, so it's not as simple as getting a multiple D-Tap cable and plugging everything in. Or is it? It appears everything has a proprietary, or quasi-proprietary power requirement.

Here are my power requirements, in a fairly confined shoulder rig: Sony A7s, SmallHD DP-4 EVF, the Atomos Shogun when it arrives, and a Juiced Link A-Box (it's power is self contained but I do come across situations where I need one additional power source).

What I've found, as a solution, is an Anton Bauer battery and: a Wooden Camera A7s Gold Mount http://woodencamera.com/WC-Gold-Mount-A7-A7r-A7s.html
The Gold Mount has the A7 battery and a P-Tap accessory port.

I guess my question is what do I need to bring out of the P-Tap port to power a DP-4, a Shogun and another accessory? The DP-4 takes Canon LP-E6 batteries, the Shogun takes Sony NP-F770's, and I'd like a 12V accessory (but you can't have everything haha).

Thanks for the assistance guys! Sorry to ask such a long winded question, but these are those types of things that don't have many resources for education.

JB   

I don't use an a7s, but have a lot of rigs from RED to Canon to 4/3 and black magic pcc.

Power and chargers are always an issue. 

You'll probably end up with a AB Goldline or a V lock.  Personally I like Vlocks better as they are more widely accepted.

You can run a V lock off a belt clip and save weight, (just remember your tethered so don't walk off with the camera on a mount).

But the best way is to check with the pros either Able Cientech or Hot Rod Cameras.  I'm sure they can rig anything and if they can't they'll point you to the peeps that can.

IMO

BC

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:41:24 am »

Thanks Coots! I chatted with a couple of people and I think I found a setup that will work (and not blow the place up). Is there a particular V-Lock brand you think is a solid choice, or an AB Dionic HC equivelent so to speak? I know Switronix is held in high regard. Thanks for your input! It's very helpful!

JB

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »

Thanks Coots! I chatted with a couple of people and I think I found a setup that will work (and not blow the place up). Is there a particular V-Lock brand you think is a solid choice, or an AB Dionic HC equivelent so to speak? I know Switronix is held in high regard. Thanks for your input! It's very helpful!

JB

I have RED v locks ( I think 4)  (big and expensive) Switronix 10 (good) but my favorite I bought in the UK is the Paglink.

https://www.paguk.com/landing/PAGlink

I have 8 with the charger and they're done very well and will run a scarlet for a few hours (I guess as I haven't actually timed them) the black magic pcc which I haven't tried probably less as that little camera takes a lot of power and they will run a 1 ft. lite panel on full for 1.25 hours.

For your use you'll probably get longer time.

Still most are good, Anton Bauer are fine, it's just I can always find, rent and buy vlocks so I stick with them.

Good luck.

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:44:02 am »

Seems that AB or Vmount are the two 'industry standards' - I was scratching my head on which system to invest in (some years ago) and wnet on a BBC shoot where everything was Vlock. I decided Vlock was therefore the defacto standard for the UK, hence invested in Vlock.

D-tap and P-tap are the same thing.. a D shaped P..ower connector.

Most 'pro' accessories run on for example 8-15 (ish) volts - Dtap seems to be 14.4 charged and 11 nearly flat.
2 canon batts is 7.2X2=14.4

My DP6 runs fine from Dtap - simple dtap to 2.1mm(could be 2.5?) power lead, I would imagine the shogun would be similar.

Brands? In the UK Hawkwoods is a 'real company', Personally I thought Switchtronix was chinese crap - but maybe they stepped up the game?

Overall I now pretty much wont buy anything that doesnt run on Vlock/Dtap.

My current project we are using..
Vlock 1.. (the camera)
BMC4k cam
DP6 Monitor
BlackMagic Shuttle

Vlock2 (director monitor)
Lilliput monitor

Vlock 3
Dedo LED light

.. so making a whole movie with one charger and set of batts.

Well we were until we added a gh4!

--
In smaller accessories it is worth considering the sony L(??) battery system - I have had some luck with them and that is much smaller  and lighter than Vlock
That is what our soundie is using and if we bring a third monitor on set will power that. (purerly cos I dont have another Vlock box)
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:36 pm »

Thanks Morgan. I think I'm going to go with a V Mount setup, in part because it's $700-800 less than Anton Bauer Gold Mount. I know it will run everything i need for hours. Plus, it's interchangeable, to some degree, with other systems.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up