Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo black on Epson Canvas Satin?  (Read 2873 times)

Ezeeduzit

Photo black on Epson Canvas Satin?
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:19:15 pm »

I think I read in a thread somewhere here that some of you are using photo black ink as opposed to matte black on Epson Exhibition Canvas satin. Am I correct? If, yes, then are you also setting the ICC for Premium Lustre? or did i dream this up? Tried to find the thread in which someone from Epson posted this combo--couldn't find it.
Yak

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Photo black on Epson Canvas Satin?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:04:55 pm »

You can use photo black on any canvas, but you'll want to use a custom icc profile for that canvas using photo black ink.  Your blacks won't be as dark as they would when using matte black ink, as generally required when printing on canvas.

ken

Landscapes

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:50 pm »

You can use photo black on any canvas, but you'll want to use a custom icc profile for that canvas using photo black ink.  Your blacks won't be as dark as they would when using matte black ink, as generally required when printing on canvas.

ken

If I recall correctly, when I used matte black (Canon printer by the way) on the Epson Satin canvas, it refused to dry and kept coming off.  So I think in terms of the satin canvas, it is necessary to use photo black, not just for the deeper black, but so that it stays on the canvas.  When you go backwards, using photo black on a matte canvas, this is where you get the blacks that aren't as rich since the matte papers/canvas needs the different formulation that the matte black has.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:18:10 pm »

I believe that the Exhibition Satin is just like the glossy, i.e. it is designed for a PK black.  Only a matte canvas is really going to work well with a matte black.  So the PK ink setting should be the correct one.  Does Epson call for matte ink on the satin canvas?  I have never used the Epson satin, but all the other brands I have used ask for a Photo ink on satin canvas.  

Depending on your printer, if Epson, there will be a profile (icc) for this canvas, and a Media setting (more than likely Premium Luster Paper) as this is what Epson uses on most glossy or satin canvas. 

You can print with PK on matte easier than going with matte on a canvas with a glossy/satin coating.

Paul

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:20:58 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

huguito

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 01:02:16 am »

Hi Paul
I print on Epson Satin canvas on my 9600 using photo ink
My understanding is that Epson recommends Matte ink for this canvas.

I made a custom profile for this combination of canvas on Photo ink using a color munki.

The settings I use when profiled the canvas and when I print on it are as follows;
Print as Premium semi gloss
Ink density correction  0
Paper thickness   0.5 mm
1440 dpi
High Speed   OFF
High Detail    On
Platten Gap   Standard

I get very deep blacks, no ink pooling and great mid tone transitions. It took a lot of wasted media and ruined prints to get it.

Good luck

Hugo

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:22 am »

This is taken from the Epson PDF on this canvas.   They recommend PK.  This is exhibition canvas satin,  I couldn't find a photo canvas satin.

Satin is still a glossy canvas thus PK should be used.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:02:28 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up