Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baryta for portfolio prints?  (Read 1490 times)

Geoffc

Baryta for portfolio prints?
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:05:31 pm »

Hi, I've done a little searching, but haven't found the exact answer I was hoping to.

I want to print a 13x19 portfolio single sided, using screw posts, not sleeves.
I also want to be able to print similar sized prints to hand out loose as "proofs" to architects I work for, essentially fine-art proofs they can actually touch, instead of just viewing on a monitor.

I'm not a printing or paper expert by any means.  I did play with Gold Fibre Silk last year on my R1800 and did love the results, but never moved forward with large volume printing.  I see now that it's no longer being made, many are recommending Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique.

Question:  is this type of paper too delicate (scratch-able) to be viewed and handled in a screw-post portfolio, or in loose format by clients?

Is there some other type of paper I should be looking at, that has a similar fine art feel, semi-gloss, and will hold up to being handled, or is the above Canson just fine?

Thx!

pluton

Re: Baryta for portfolio prints?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:41:50 am »

I liked the Harmon by Hahnemulle Baryta for its surface(semi-gloss) and color(neutral to slightly cool to my eye), but it always had flatness issues.
Switched to the Canson Baryta, which is slightly warmer, more of a semi-matte, and dead flat sheets so far.
I haven't done a specific surface scratch comparison, but I have a hunch it's somewhat more fragile than the Harmon...kind of like Epson Exhibition Fiber.  If your pictures are nice, maybe a few small scratches won't matter.

howardm

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:42:47 am »

my experience w/ the Harman/Hahn vs. CAnson is that the HH seems to be more sensitive to scuffing and handling scratches than the Canson.

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 01:09:11 pm »

Spraying with Print Shield improves surface durability of my Canson Baryta prints. I'd use that paper and that spray if I were doing what you are doing.

John Caldwell

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:30:20 pm »

When I want a baryta paper, my personal choice is Fotospeed Platinum Baryta.

Like you, I used Ifford Gold Fibre Silk and I am delighted that it is being re-introduced (along with Gold Mono Silk and some others), distributed in UK by Tetenal.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »

One non-messy solution might be to put them in polypropylene pages that already come pre-punched for 3 ring binders.  I did this for proofs I used to keep at work for people to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up