Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom & Photoshop CC special offer  (Read 1194 times)

graeme

Lightroom & Photoshop CC special offer
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »

Adobe UK are offering Lightroom & Photoshop CC for £7.49 per month for the first year,. It reverts to £8.78 per month after that.

These prices don't work out too badly compared to my former habit of upgrading PS ( perpetual licence ) every other version.

I've been happily using PS CS5 & Lightroom 4 on my 2007 mac pro which is dying. This is being replaced with a 13"macbook.

My question: Are there any compelling reasons why I should switch to the CC versions of PS & lightroom? It's not so much new features that I'm interested in but whether the new software will run more efficiently on the newer computer.

Graeme

PhotoEcosse

Re: Lightroom & Photoshop CC special offer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:22:02 am »

Adobe UK are offering Lightroom & Photoshop CC for £7.49 per month for the first year,. It reverts to £8.78 per month after that.

Graeme

My underlining Graeme.

Not quite. The special offer price reverts to £8.78 after the end of this month. (and remember that £8.78 is, itself, a special offer of supposedly limited duration - it was meant to end last December but has been extended three times so far.)

What the price will be next year or in any future year is a matter of speculation at present. It could go up to the £25 per month that was originally quoted and then increase by Adobe's whim thereafter. We just don't know.

Presumably you are going to have to install your existing LR and CS on to your new computer anyway (or CC wouldn't be able to pick up your catalogues and settings).

My personal view is that, for anyone who does not already have functioning software that meets their photo-processing needs, then the CC rental scheme seems like a reasonable deal (subject to the caveat of unknown future prices). In my own case (LR5.6 and PS CS6), I am not yet convinced of the benefits of switching.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:24:27 am by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:40 pm »

My underlining Graeme.

Not quite. The special offer price reverts to £8.78 after the end of this month. (and remember that £8.78 is, itself, a special offer of supposedly limited duration - it was meant to end last December but has been extended three times so far.)

What the price will be next year or in any future year is a matter of speculation at present. It could go up to the £25 per month that was originally quoted and then increase by Adobe's whim thereafter. We just don't know.

What Adobe said originally was that the Photoshop/LR CC offer was of limited duration, not the price.  That is, they don't guarantee the price, but say it's not an offer price and they say they won't increase it except in line with any other CC price increases. 

Clearly the offer has now been extended, but a recent post by an Adobe staffer on https://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom/content said that the guy was not aware of any plans to increase the price from the general $9.99 or regional equivalent. 

I don't like renting software, but I've taken up the offer (£8.78 pm in my case) as the price works out at roughly the same as I was paying for Lightroom (I upgrade that every time) and Photoshop (I used to upgrade that every other time, when you could do that). 

graeme

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:39:40 am »

My underlining Graeme.

Presumably you are going to have to install your existing LR and CS on to your new computer anyway (or CC wouldn't be able to pick up your catalogues and settings).

My personal view is that, for anyone who does not already have functioning software that meets their photo-processing needs, then the CC rental scheme seems like a reasonable deal (subject to the caveat of unknown future prices). In my own case (LR5.6 and PS CS6), I am not yet convinced of the benefits of switching.

Good point.

I can't get excited enough about these upgrades to go for the deal. As I said my main interest wasn't in new features but improved performance on a newer computer: I remember upgrading PS from a Power PC version to an Intel optimised version shortly after I got the Mac Pro & it made a big difference. I haven't read anything to suggest that upgrading my current apps would be of much benefit.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up