Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson-7900--7901?  (Read 3360 times)

Larry451

epson-7900--7901?
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:05:31 am »

I have an epson 7900 (2 1/2yrs old) out of warranty with Vm & LM clogs.  I've tried every type of cleaning method + the paper towel....  My best guess is that it needs a new head.
These epsons;  7900 & 9900 have been around for quite a while.. epson has a rebate right now in canada $750. off an epson 7900 or a 7890...  could this be a sign that new models are around the corner??
any guesses?

regards
Larry.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: epson-7900--7901?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:10 am »

If anything much new were on the near-term horizon, one would expect announcements at Photokina, which is around the corner. i have no inside information of course, but I think it is the time of year for those contemplating a printer replacement to hold tight for a few weeks and let's see whether there are announcements.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:59:21 am »

These epsons;  7900 & 9900 have been around for quite a while.. epson has a rebate right now in canada $750. off an epson 7900 or a 7890...  could this be a sign that new models are around the corner??
any guesses?

regards
Larry.

When I bought my 7900 2 years ago there was a rebate, so ....

Even with these pro printers, there is the "sell the printer cheap and make money on the ink" mentality. When I tell people that a complete set of inks for my printer costs about $1000, more than one jaw has hit the floor!

Larry451

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:24:54 am »

you are right-on as far as ink costs go.  I use cone ink which certainly helps even with refillable carts & syringes & "over-the-border" costs.  Big gamble is the rebate:  ends aug. 31,  now will it be extended??
regards
Larry.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:59:38 am »

There is no news of Epson coming out with a new set of photo printers anytime soon.  They did more focus on the Dye-sub, Solvent and Technical printers within the last year.  The x890 and x900 series will be their top of the line models for a while.  Epson provides the rebates almost every month which can change on amount off each time or they will not have the rebate for a few months due to gov't requirements.

Larry451

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:17:21 am »

thanks to Mark & atlex.com
I think this time around...   I'll buy a 7890 instead of a 7900,  both seem to have the same specs, only diff is the orange & green which I certainly didn't use much of.
regards
Larry.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21:08 am »

Larry, while the specs may look similar at surface reading, the orange and green inks I believe do help expand the colour gamut of the x900 series printers. You may wish to check on comparative gamut and maximum resolution before making a final decision between the two models.

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:28:07 pm »

I had a 9900 for 2.5 years and then the head went bad. The orange nozzles clogged more than the others. I replaced the 9900 with a 7980. Frankly, I cannot see a difference between the output of the two. I've printed sunset pictures and photos with lots of greens. No difference. I have excellent color vision. The orange and green inks are necessary for matching PMS colors. If you are a graphic designer, industrial designer, package designer, etc., the orange and green serve a purpose. For photography, no way. I have a friend who purchased a 7900 for the same price I purchased my 7980. I'd take the 7980 over the former any day. Less ink, fewer clogs.

Larry451

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:31:38 am »

thanks for the input. I researched the difference between the two printers and for my landscape work I don't think I will see any difference.  the big plus was the  cost of the 7890, slightly under $2K + tax which is a big savings over the 7900..   Now I just have to get my dead 7900 out of my second floor workroom and into the barn.
regards
Larry.

tsjanik

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:19:09 am »

Larry:

I had some clogs in a 4900 which would not clear.  I tried Windex, etc. and no help.  I ordered AIS cleaning solution and followed the directions, which simply involved applying the solution to the parking station.  I also purchased the service program for the 4900 which allows more cleaning procedures.  Although it took almost two weeks of treatment, my head finally cleared.  Might be worth a try, rather buying a new printer.

Tom.

Benny Profane

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »

I'd take the 7980 over the former any day. Less ink, fewer clogs.

Less ink, yes, but, fewer clogs? Isn't it the same head, basically? Or not? Are you saying this printer is more reliable?

Larry451

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:05 am »

Tom
I've been running every type of cleaning / power cleaning / paper towel cleaning for over a month with no results.  I even bought Cone's cleaner/flush for the VM cart, still no results..  It started with the Vm going blank which I was able to clear with a power cleaning by starting the printer in maintenance mode, that helped for a month but eventually I lost the VM (blank)  then went the light magenta and now the cyan is starting to go  =  I give up.  I've poured more ink into my maintenance tank than I care to add up..    so if you want a semi-working 7900, it will be here...  Bancroft , Ontario, Canada.
regards
Larry
PS.  I wish I would have never sold my 7600, it was a work horse.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:54 am »

Less ink, yes, but, fewer clogs? Isn't it the same head, basically? Or not? Are you saying this printer is more reliable?

I don't know that the print head is "the same" - I think - but not certain - it may not be. Try to find out whether the nozzle size is the same, as there have been suggestions that the ultra-small nozzles of the x900 series printers may be related to clogging - though that said, my 4900 clogs much less than my 4800 used to (and the technology of the 4900/7900 is "largely" the same), so not sure nozzle size is a determinative variable. I'm still wondering whether Larry's problem really is clogs or something else. Clogs usually clear, especially with all he has been doing. To help out here, I tried to find some technically useful information on spec and performance differences between these two printers but I came up dry. A lot of chatter but nothing of substantive value. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, there should be something useful out there. Anyhow, I would suggest that Larry call Epson ProGraphics (USA-based) and have a discussion with one of their senior support people about (a) his problems with the 7900 and (b) the differences between the 7890 and the 7900. There is an Epson service agent (not Epson itself) here in Toronto. I used them for my 4800 some years ago and they were very good, but I believe there have been several changes in that segment since then, so again, Epson Canada or Epson ProGraphics USA would know who to call here in Toronto for a chat. It's a decision you want to get right, so I suggest culling as much useful info as can be found before buying.

Benny Profane

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:11 am »

Thanks.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 11:56:57 am »

Larry,

I few more thoughts on the 7900/7890. 

I owned (3) 9880's over the space of 4 years.  I never had more than one on line at a time.   I loved the fact that I could print with the Atkinson profiles on the 9880, his last set that were generated for the 11880 were top notch.  My 9880's had terrible skewing issues, enough of a problem that Epson finally agreed to replace my last one with a 9900.  I had held off purchase of the 9900 mainly due to the issues around the 1st years or so of shipments. 

I believe your question was can you tell much difference between the output of the 7900/7890 series.  Ink wise, the 7890 and 9880 are the same (except you can have the MK and PK online at the same time).  The head is different (I believe it's the same head as the 7900, but the orange and green are mapped out but can't confirm that) All the other specs are the same. 

With the 9900 I was hoping to see the following:

1.  Less gloss differential
2.  Less bronzing
3.  Less soft proofing issues

After using the 9900 for 3.5 years now:

1.  Gloss differential is still a very big issue, I can see no difference.  I have a series of actions that I use to help reduce it on prints with a lot of areas where gloss differential seems to really show up.

2.  Bronzing, really about the same, maybe a bit worse but for sure very paper and profile dependent.  One of my favorite papers is the Canon Platine, but bronzing with it is very harsh depending on the print. 

3.  Less soft proofing issues, let me just say, no.   I still have as many issues there also. 

My print is 3.5 years old, and I have gone through 6  sets of 700ML carts for all the other colors.  My starter cart of orange and green lasted 1.5 years and I just finally replaced my 350ML set of orange and green, purchasing instead 150ML size.  I am sure the green and orange have an effect but to my eye on m prints I just can't see it.  Older prints from my 9880 on platine that I have reprinted on 9900 and Platine, just don't seem to have a viewable difference to me.  I am basing that on my eye.   

For me, the single biggest advantage the 7900/7890 have is the ability to switch to MK or PK without a massive loss of ink.  I print a lot of matte canvas, but all my paper is glossy or satin.  So I switch pretty much weekly.  So for me I see that as a huge advantage over the older 9880 family.  The 7900/7980 are faster, for similar a bit better overall details.  My 9900 still occasionally does skew, but that tends to be from a roll of canvas that was not placed on the roll evenly. 

If I had it to do all over, based on my prints, I would go with the 9890, and forget the orange and green. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up