Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Chance Range  (Read 2373 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Last Chance Range
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:28:50 am »

At the northern boundary of Death Valley National Park in California.  More in my blog post.

chuckn

Re: Last Chance Range
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »

Rajan,

I like the 2nd shot best. Where was that taken (from)? I have been to the Eureka Dunes three times now (love that area of Death Valley). The road in, however, is the worst wash board road I have ever been on. Last spring when I drove in I lost one of the battery cables on my Tacoma.

Chuck.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »

Rajan,

I like the 2nd shot best. Where was that taken (from)? I have been to the Eureka Dunes three times now (love that area of Death Valley). The road in, however, is the worst wash board road I have ever been on. Last spring when I drove in I lost one of the battery cables on my Tacoma.

Chuck.

Chuck,

The Racetrack road is far more washboarded.

See the attached map.  The location where that shot was taken from is in the Last Chance Range and GPS coordinates are: 37°11'55.7"N 117°42'25.2"W.  If you want to go there, go GPS armed and with a high clearance vehicle.  There is a maze of tracks made by miners and it is easy to get lost.  The turnoff from the road to get into the mountains is near the old Sulphur Mine.  I got to know about this location when I was researching last year possible spots for framing Eureka Dunes in ways that aren't common.  My search lead me to this post.

When we got to the overlook the sun had set and I didn't get the shadows and light I was hoping for.  But this was a preliminary scouting trip and I'll go there again.

Parenthetically I will note that Lingenfelter's book has given me a good sense of this area and its history, but it is only after seeing personally these remote off-the-circuit locales that you realize just how (admirably) crazy those people who first came here hoping to realize their dreams were.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:17:12 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

chuckn

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »

I have taken both roads, and you're right, the race track road is worse (but worth it). I try and go at least twice a year, once in late fall/early winter and again in the spring. This year I hope to traverse the entire park.
I'll plan on taking the road you mentioned.

Chuck.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:21 am »

I'll be there in the area in October but unfortunately won't have a heavy duty enough vehicle to make any hard core off pavement ventures. Likely Zabrieski Point is going to be the most exciting reaching area until I get to Mono Lake.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

francois

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:30 am »

I'll be there in the area in October but unfortunately won't have a heavy duty enough vehicle to make any hard core off pavement ventures. Likely Zabrieski Point is going to be the most exciting reaching area until I get to Mono Lake.

You can visit a lot more than Zabrieski Point with a "normal" vehicule…

;)
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:29 am »

#1 is very nice, it looks literally like a scar across the rock formations.
#2 offers a nice layered perspective and drama.
#3 I find less interesting.

thanks for sharing

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:37 pm »

You can visit a lot more than Zabrieski Point with a "normal" vehicule…

;)

I know that... and I will make as many forays as I can into there areas but I will be in a rental car so have to be cautious of destroying a set of shocks.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 01:17:24 pm »

I know that... and I will make as many forays as I can into there areas but I will be in a rental car so have to be cautious of destroying a set of shocks.

Chris,

If this is your first time to DeVa, there is so much to see by staying on pavement.  Almost all the iconic sites - Badwater, Dante's View, Zabriskie, Golden Canyon, Devil's Golf Course, Stovepipe Wells Dunes, Ubehebe Crater, and so on - can be accessed via sealed roads.

Thanks, Paulo and Francois.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »

I grew up in Southern California and know the area well, but was always out in an off-road vehicle, so I will heed everyone's warnings and stay on the paved roads for this venture. Thanks for the list as I will map it out to see how many I can get over a two or three day period.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:11:00 pm »

I grew up in Southern California and know the area well...

Oh!  For some reason I assumed you were writing from Ireland.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:53 pm »

Oh!  For some reason I assumed you were writing from Ireland.

It's that Irish name, and an old Irish name it is, too.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:02:20 am »

Rajan, thanks for posting. I am headed to DV in December with a group and looking forward to it! Bought the the Lingenfelter book as prep.

...I will be in a rental car so have to be cautious of destroying a set of shocks.
Chris, it's a rental! ;)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 11:55:15 am »

Rajan, thanks for posting. I am headed to DV in December with a group and looking forward to it! Bought the the Lingenfelter book as prep.

David,

Check out Lingenfelter's account of the Titus Canyon road and plan on taking an early morning drive.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »

David,

Check out Lingenfelter's account of the Titus Canyon road and plan on taking an early morning drive.

Yes, the Titus Canyon Road is excellent. It may seem like a long detour, but well worth it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up