Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving LR Files Between Computers  (Read 3507 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Moving LR Files Between Computers
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:33 pm »

Hey guys, I need a quick advice.

I want to transfer original files and their processing from my desktop to my laptop. Both Lightroom versions are CC, both computers are Mac (iMac and MacBook Pro). I need to transfer just one project, a two-day shoot, where the original files reside in two different folders. What is the easiest method? Connect the computers via Ethernet cable or via wi-fi? What steps in LR?

Thanks in advance!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Moving LR Files Between Computers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »

I would put the project in a collection and export the collection as a catalog and include previews and originals, then on the laptop, import from the catalog.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:54:41 pm »

Hey guys, I need a quick advice.

I want to transfer original files and their processing from my desktop to my laptop. Both Lightroom versions are CC, both computers are Mac (iMac and MacBook Pro). I need to transfer just one project, a two-day shoot, where the original files reside in two different folders. What is the easiest method? Connect the computers via Ethernet cable or via wi-fi? What steps in LR?

Thanks in advance!

The least error prone is in my opinion to export the original pictures from the catalog on the MBP to an external HD (export as catalog) and the attach the HD to the iMac and choose import from catalog. This way you get everything moved including virtual copies and e.g. TIFF or PSD files you have created on the road as well as all edits of course. This is the way it is designed into LR, but there are other ways of moving e.g. if you didn't do any virtual copies or any other edits than on top of the RAW file. Then you can save all edits as XMP files by selecting all photos as choose cmd-s. Then copy the folders to the iMac and import (choosing Add) on the iMac. The the xmp files will be read and the keywords, edits etc. will be included into the catalog on the iMac.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »

The least error prone is in my opinion to export the original pictures from the catalog on the MBP to an external HD (export as catalog) and the attach the HD to the iMac and choose import from catalog. This way you get everything moved including virtual copies and e.g. TIFF or PSD files you have created on the road as well as all edits of course. This is the way it is designed into LR, but there are other ways of moving e.g. if you didn't do any virtual copies or any other edits than on top of the RAW file. Then you can save all edits as XMP files by selecting all photos as choose cmd-s. Then copy the folders to the iMac and import (choosing Add) on the iMac. The the xmp files will be read and the keywords, edits etc. will be included into the catalog on the iMac.

Agreed, but it doesn't need to be an external HD.  Just "export folders as catalog" to a temporary folder somewhere, make sure the laptop connected to a network where it can be seen by the desktop, and File -> Import from catalog, remembering to check the option to copy files (not reference them where they are). 

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »

Agreed, but it doesn't need to be an external HD.  Just "export folders as catalog" to a temporary folder somewhere, make sure the laptop connected to a network where it can be seen by the desktop, and File -> Import from catalog, remembering to check the option to copy files (not reference them where they are). 

Of course it can be any storage location, e.g. a NAS. I just mentioned external HD as the most obvious for most people to understand.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:12 pm »

I know it's a performance hit, but I just keep all of my shots and my catalog on an external HD, currently using a USB 3. Then I can attach that whatever device I need to. Clearly not a good solution for a wedding photographer, but it's alright for a fine art guy.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 06:24:51 pm »

Make sure all metadata is updated, then select the folders or images, Export As Catalog command.
Seems SneakerNet via another HD might be fastest (and safest) and include a backup in the process.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:39:59 pm »

I know it's a performance hit, but I just keep all of my shots and my catalog on an external HD, currently using a USB 3. Then I can attach that whatever device I need to. Clearly not a good solution for a wedding photographer, but it's alright for a fine art guy.

I just use a single machine, a MBP 15" retina and hooked up to a 30" Dell U3014 in my office. On travel the LR catalog sits in the internal drive and when in office it sits the same place and no need to move anything. Can it be any simpler than this? Overflow of older shoots go to an external Thunderbolt storage in my office. All pictures are in one catalog on the MBP.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:08 pm »

I just use a single machine, a MBP 15" retina and hooked up to a 30" Dell U3014 in my office. On travel the LR catalog sits in the internal drive and when in office it sits the same place and no need to move anything. Can it be any simpler than this? Overflow of older shoots go to an external Thunderbolt storage in my office. All pictures are in one catalog on the MBP.
Nearly exactly the same setup I have.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:47:45 pm »

Ok, I transferred all files, but it appears they arrived without any edits. XMP files got lost in the transfer? I followed Jeff's workflow.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:49:22 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 07:55:03 pm »

Ok, I transferred all files, but it appears they arrived without any edits. XMP files got lost in the transfer? I followed Jeff's workflow.
So you don't have the Auto Save XMP preference on? And you didn't make sure all metadata is updated?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »

Copy the LR Catalog from one computer to the other, open that catalog and do a search for the images in a new location

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:00 pm »

So you don't have the Auto Save XMP preference on? And you didn't make sure all metadata is updated?

I never worked on more than one computer until now, so never paid attention to it. :-[

Is Auto Save XMP the same as what I see in Catalog Settings as "Automatically write changes into XMP"? It was unchecked and I checked it now. I did update metadata.

I guess now I have to repeat the transfer.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:38 pm »

So, you put the project images in a collection and exported the collection as a catalog with previews and originals? Then moved that folder to the other computer and imported the collection as a catalog?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »

Is Auto Save XMP the same as what I see in Catalog Settings as "Automatically write changes into XMP"? It was unchecked and I checked it now. I did update metadata.
Yes and probably yes.

bjanes

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:47 pm »

I never worked on more than one computer until now, so never paid attention to it. :-[

The XMP route allows interchangeability with ACR but it won't carry over virtual copies, flags, and other features that are unique to LR.

Bill

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:46 pm »

The XMP route allows interchangeability with ACR but it won't carry over virtual copies, flags, and other features that are unique to LR.

Well, I am transferring between two LRs, and flags did not go. I had to use stars instead.

In any case, mission accomplished, thanks everyone!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:40 am »

Well, I am transferring between two LRs, and flags did not go. I had to use stars instead.

In any case, mission accomplished, thanks everyone!

Again, as I wrote, the most reliable way is as I described ;) Export as catalog and then import from catalog. In this case no need for XMP's....

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 04:32:38 am »

Again, as I wrote, the most reliable way is as I [and Jeff] described ;) Export as catalog and then import from catalog. In this case no need for XMP's....

+1

RogerW

• http://www.rogerwalton.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:48 am »

I use the method advocated by Jeff Schewe without any problems!

if in doubt, look at Peter Krogh's excellent e-book on multiple catalogue workflow. (DAM website)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up