Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useless Canon Service  (Read 6087 times)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Useless Canon Service
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »

I'm a hippy treehugger and I hate throwing something like this away, but why in the heavens would I spend that much fixing a printer that I can replace for $2999 after rebates, get a whole new set of ink cartridges and a new warranty.

I bought an iPF8000 when they first came out. Within the year Canon announced the iPF8100. I called Canon and asked, if I paid for packing & shipping both ways, would they replace the guts of my 8000 with the updated 8100. They declined. I even spoke to a customer service manager in my attempt to avoid EOL on my 8000. He understood but Canon had never planned on customers wanting to conserve on materials by swapping internals of their printers.

Within a year the iPF8000 had reached EOL. No more software support, firmware, and the cost of the heads was rising as stock depleted. I sold it for $1 on Craigslist to a Chicago graphics shop who was going to use it for parts. There was some satisfaction in that.

Given the size of these printers and Canon's statement on "social responsibility", I'd think Canon would, at the very least, consider the path of internal upgrades.
~ CB

samueljohnchia

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 10:16:34 am »

I just checked again and my 8300 is made in Japan. There is nothing warped or poorly made that I've experienced here. My online support so far from Canon has been stellar and way beyond what I ever got from Epson or HP by a long shot. I call and I'm talking to a real tech person the first time who knows the machine inside and out and haven't had to wait to talk to him more than one minute ( even when out of warranty). I've had two head problems like I said when out of warranty and they don't charge me anything for the call, and nothing for the parts sent overnight. They even set a tech guy out here the next day for free to make sure everything was functioning correctly and I was a year out of warranty.

I guess where you live and where the printer was made has a huge difference. Maybe next time they will be horrible, but I've only experienced total professionalism and even generosity so far.

John

Thanks for the information John. I had a Canon iPF8100 for about four and a half years and it too was made in Japan. That printer was very good. Unfortunately it suffered the much feared fatal mainboard error.

I had two new iPF8400s (or 8410 as they call it for the asia market) side by side for a while because Canon finally agreed to replace the machine. Both are made in China. I'm wondering if all the new printers are now made in China or maybe the ones meant for the USA market is still made in Japan. They did behave differently. The spring tension of the pinch rollers were very different (one was about twice as powerful as the other) and the replacement printer makes an audible "cluck!" sound as the head docks after printing, or when it is free before printing, something I never noticed on the other machine. The workmanship of the China made printers are not good.

I can only wish for the kind of dedicated service that you have received from Canon.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

The annoying thing about these printer service problems is that it doesn't match the service we get from Canon on cameras and lenses. I've had to have one lens and one camera repaired in the last few months, and both were handled quickly and efficiently. I have no complaints at all with the photo equipment side.

drgonzo

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »

Have you tried Imagetech Digital in Oakland for service? I haven't really needed service on my ipf printers but I know they work on a lot of them throughout California.

williamrohr

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »

Thanks for the ImageTech lead.  Unfortunately I am already $1700+ and the replacement parts from here forward are so expensive it only makes sense to scrap it.  I have temporarily held off on actually dumping it out the window as it turns out there is a series of small tanks under the cartridges which is used to circulate ink continuously through the heads and they have to be drained before crashing it.  Only thing worse than a dead printer is a pissed off wife if I splash ink all over the house and sidewalk ... that would be threatening my own EOL!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up