Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: super heavy tripod for fuji gx680?  (Read 5572 times)

bpepz

super heavy tripod for fuji gx680?
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:20 am »

I've been having a hard time finding a decent tripod heavy enough to handle a fully loaded fuji gx680. I use it to shoot food so I do not need to move it much. It seems most of the more modern high end tripods focus on things like portability, height, precision, lighter but stronger materials, basically everything I don't need. If anyone has any recommendations of a good vintage tripod that feels like a bag of lead bricks, I would love to hear about it.

Herbc

Re: super heavy tripod for fuji gx680?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:43:19 am »

REis has a number of great offerings-primarily for LF and the movie industry, they are wood, no vibration, fairly heavy.  I have had a few of them, the one for the 4x5's should do everything you need, providing you don't want a center rising post.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:51 am »

I use a Gitzo Carbon Fiber 6x Giant with an Arca Swiss Cube.  With the head on, the tripod weighs about 15 lb., so it is pretty heavy by todays standards.  I also usually hang a 10-15 lb. sand bag from the center column, which keeps it pretty stable. 

I do a lot of multiple exposures (using the Kapture Group multi-shop device) on a tech camera with manual Copal shutters that I have to cock.  I have never had a problem with camera shake or movement.  Only exception would be when I screw a step up ring and polarizer on the lens, but I have learned to be careful when doing this. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:09:29 am »

A big G1504 Tele Gitzo Studex "Giant"(4 extension sections per leg) will probably do the trick. One of the tall, aluminum ones. Might seem like overkill, but they're heavy, they can go really tall(like 8+ ft w/ the center column cranked up), and with a No5 3-way head, proves to be a very solid combo.

Ries is also another great option, but you'll need to add leg extensions to the base tripod if you intend to go up in height. The studex giant has it all built-in, albeit at a cost of extra weight.

Even with the GX680's excellent mirror-dampening, I've found that using mirror-up still gives the best results, when possible. Less mass moving around makes sharper pictures :)

-Dan

p.s. Watch ebay for the big Gitzo's. I got mine there, and despite not needing the height capabilities of it much(if ever), I still regret having sold it a few years back... They're cheap as chips(almost) these days, I think I paid ~$350 shipped for mine, with the #5 head(which I still own and use on a CF Gitzo now)

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »

Even with the GX680's excellent mirror-dampening, I've found that using mirror-up still gives the best results, when possible. Less mass moving around makes sharper pictures :)

+1
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Theodoros

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »

I use my Fuji GX 680 for whenever I need movements next to my Contax 645... I have a Contax 645 plate permanently on it so that I can share my MFDB with both cameras and most of the use is in microstep mode at 16x using my Imacon 528c MFDB. One can't have mirror lock when doing multishot with the Fuji GX680, so I use some damping on the lower corners of the mirror to reduce shake as the mirror lifts... However, I've managed to have 100% success with my 16x microstep shots and I believe that it is due to my 40 years old Italian tripod... My superb FATIF tripod!  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:25:21 pm by Theodoros »

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »

Gitzo G1410 or the like.  I've got the taller model and while I hate to lug it - it's heavy enough that I'm taking it anywhere I take my new GX680.  Now to get a head that will take the abuse :)
t: @PNWMF

jerome_m

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 04:38:49 pm »

Manfrotto has very sturdy and massive video tripods for a comparatively low price. The M-Pro 535 for example. Or the 161 if you need a geared column. Either one will support the weight of a gx680.

If you want more than that, Berlebach has some tripods that will carry the weight of a grown up man.

ynp

• http://
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 06:33:06 pm »

I use FOBA ALFAE tripod with the Sinar P3 in multishot mode on locations. It is heavy and stable.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:44:18 pm »

I'm a big fan of this O'Connor tripod for use with my RED.  Though I typically use a Gitzo with my Arca, I've used the O'Connor when I wanted a really rigid platform and it does not disappoint.  You can get a 100mm ball to 3/8 adapter and if you're shooting level, you could just ditch a head altogether.

CB

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:43:21 am »

Wow! That O'conner looks like about half the weight, maybe 1/3rd?  of my huge old Linhof tripod, but then it only cost me $250. I really like those old linhof's for a stable mount. 
Rolleiflex USA

bpepz

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I will be looking some of these up on ebay. I am not really interested in buying anything new, or care at all about precision or convenience, I just need a block of lead with a tripod mount that I can tilt up and down.

Theodoros

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 07:44:23 pm »

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I will be looking some of these up on ebay. I am not really interested in buying anything new, or care at all about precision or convenience, I just need a block of lead with a tripod mount that I can tilt up and down.

I thought you wouldn't like to spend much on a tripod, that's why I suggested to look after a FATIF... People don't know them and although they are rare to find they don't cost much... The superb old Linhofs that Eric suggested were "made in Fatif" premisses and are very similar (especially the old Linhof EX) only a little ....lighter (!!!!).

You may want to have a look at that: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/treppiede-stativo-telecamera-fatif-banco-ottico-no-manfrotto-cartoni-50kg-gitzo-/281425499806?pt=Accessori_per_Analogiche&hash=item418644569e ...it doesn't appear often and it shouldn't attract many offers (as I said people don't know them). Maybe you'll be able to get it for lower than 150Euros... but you may also think after you get it that you would gladly pay 3-4 times that (for old second hand) if you was aware of its quality... I'm sure your Fuji won't complain if she rests on it... Mine doesn't and she is required to do 16x multi shots on regular basis.  ;)

EDIT: This linhof looks much like a Fatif: http://fineart-selection.de/Varia/bilder/linhof3.jpg only that legs are obviously lighter and the colour is not black... The head on this Linhof shows you what the original head of a Fatif looks like (the one on Ebay has a different head fitted)... the central column is geared and sounds like a swiss clock in action, all movements are fluid damped. But be prepared... it's even a little (!!!) ...heavier than it looks.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:20:52 pm by Theodoros »

bpepz

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:49 am »

I thought you wouldn't like to spend much on a tripod, that's why I suggested to look after a FATIF... People don't know them and although they are rare to find they don't cost much... The superb old Linhofs that Eric suggested were "made in Fatif" premisses and are very similar (especially the old Linhof EX) only a little ....lighter (!!!!).

You may want to have a look at that: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/treppiede-stativo-telecamera-fatif-banco-ottico-no-manfrotto-cartoni-50kg-gitzo-/281425499806?pt=Accessori_per_Analogiche&hash=item418644569e ...it doesn't appear often and it shouldn't attract many offers (as I said people don't know them). Maybe you'll be able to get it for lower than 150Euros... but you may also think after you get it that you would gladly pay 3-4 times that (for old second hand) if you was aware of its quality... I'm sure your Fuji won't complain if she rests on it... Mine doesn't and she is required to do 16x multi shots on regular basis.  ;)

EDIT: This linhof looks much like a Fatif: http://fineart-selection.de/Varia/bilder/linhof3.jpg only that legs are obviously lighter and the colour is not black... The head on this Linhof shows you what the original head of a Fatif looks like (the one on Ebay has a different head fitted)... the central column is geared and sounds like a swiss clock in action, all movements are fluid damped. But be prepared... it's even a little (!!!) ...heavier than it looks.  :-\

Sorry, I did not see your post! Yes! that is exactly what I am looking for! thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up