Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip out west and looking for locations between Moab and Yellowstone.  (Read 5675 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

I head from Pa. to Moab,Yellowstone and Boulder,Mt. next Thursday for my 4 week
"Going out west to find myself" trip. After my wife's recent passing I asked my boss for the month of Sept. off
and he so kindly obliged. Pickup is almost loaded with most of my camera gear and all the camping equipment I own. This should be fun as I am a dedicated RV guy. My restored 30 year old motorhome is in pretty good shape but just did not want to be left sitting in the mountains 2000 miles from home. So camping out of the truck it is.
Looking for help in several parts of the country if someone could chime in.
Itinerary,
3 day drive Pa. to Moab.
4 days camping,hiking and photographing in Moab area.
2 day drive from Moab to Yellowstone. (Where I need help,anything I should go out of the way to photograph?)
4 days camping and photographing in and around Yellowstone.
1 day drive to Boulder,Mt.
4 days filming bow elk hunt with buddies of mine from Mt. and Pa. in Boulder.
4 free days in Montana (Where  to go and what to see in SW Montana?)
3 day drive home to Pa.

Another issue is security with all this camera gear.
Pickup bed has a locked tonneau cover but thieves can get into those in a jiffy.
I have a week and a half to go and could probably have a motion detector system installed before I leave.
The other option is save the alarm money and increase my insurance for the trip and don't worry about it?

Thanks for any input.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Trip out west and looking for locations between Moab and Yellowstone.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:29:09 am »

One thing: insurance  won't help you during the trip.

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:40 am »

If you buy insurance, buy an Inland Marine policy through a professional association.  If not already a member, you may need to join NANPA or something similar to be able to access the insurance option.  Be sure you don't have any photography or firearm related window stickers.

There's a lot to enjoy in Bozeman, MT including the U.S. dealer for British gunmaker, Wesley Richards.  If you go there, lock your checkbook in the truck.

dgberg

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:54 am »

Just curious, why not?
I already have a quote (rider)and it's cheap too .
Maybe you mean if it is stolen now what the heck am I going to do, good point.
But at least I am not out big bucks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:12:02 am by Dan Berg »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:09 am »

Well, you go there to photograph, not to preserve those "big bucks." So, yes, by all means have a good insurance, but preventing the loss is better. For instance, I would split the equipment in two: one basic, always with you (tent), the other part a back-up, and kept apart (truck).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:07:23 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

dgberg

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:31 am »

If you buy insurance, buy an Inland Marine policy through a professional association.  If not already a member, you may need to join NANPA or something similar to be able to access the insurance option.  Be sure you don't have any photography or firearm related window stickers.

There's a lot to enjoy in Bozeman, MT including the U.S. dealer for British gunmaker, Wesley Richards.  If you go there, lock your checkbook in the truck.

I am a gun guy as well so I may have to check them out.
I have my business logos and services on the tailgate.(Was thinking about that.)
Vinyl ,so I can take a hair dryer and at least delete the one line about commercial photography.
No firearm stickers but am a licensed conceal carry permit holder in Pa. with reciprocal's in all the states I will be in,nuff said.

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:58:01 am »

British Side-by-Sides are the pinnacle of design.  Westley Richards builds beautiful SXS guns.  There is also a shop there called Hill Rod and Gun. They import British doubles that are fairly reasonably priced.

Tony B.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:44 pm »

Are you primitive camping or staying in campgrounds?  If primitive, make sure you carry a portable toilet as more and more camping sites are having signs requiring one posted, at least in the Moab area.

Something you could do outside of Moab after your morning photography is head towards Mule Canyon (1 hr 45 min. drive) where the 'house on fire' ruin is.  I read that early afternoon lighting is best around July/August, not sure how that carries over to September.  Hit Newspaper rock on the way there or back.  Another 1/2 hour from Mule Canyon is Natural Bridges National Monument, you can just do overlooks or if time permits hike down into the canyon.

Unless you have something to photograph your last evening in Moab you could head out in the afternoon towards Goblin Valley state park (2 hr drive) for sunset, then camp (in the park (paid) or on the road going to Little Wild Horse canyon (free)).  Then hit Goblin Valley in the morning and then head to Little Wild Horse Canyon for some hiking/photography.

Do you have an idea of where you want to enter Yellowstone?  I see from your website you have been to Grand Teton N.P.  If you are heading towards West Yellowstone you could swing by City of Rocks national Reserve.  I have not been there but seems to have interesting rock formations (popular with climbers), not to far out of the way.

dgberg

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 06:28:16 am »

Thank you Tony,good stuff.
I have camping reservations at Moab Valley Rv Resort.
Looks like I should Google all the spots you mention and take a list.
I will be working my way over to Provo then going north on 89 into the park.
The plan is to try and stay at the south end for 2 days then somewhere up north for the last 2.
Then head out of the park on 89 working my way up to route 90 and over to Boulder.
I am not sure if I can stay at Jenny Lake Campground?
I read they have a 14 foot max vehicle length at Jenny Lake Campground?
My Silverado is 16 feet,not sure if that will work.
Looks like it may still be in the 80's in Moab and 60's in Yellowstone,not bad.
Cool nites in Yellowstone in the 30's. Yeah!

I cannot tell you how much I am waiting for the cool weather out west.
I am here in Houston for a week then down to Palm Beach for 3 days and it is gawd awful hot here,just brutal.
When I retire from flying it will be my last time ever coming south in the summer.

I may check in with Brett Edge in Moab and see about a photo tour for some of the out of the way places.
Already this does not seem like enough time to see it all.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:57:12 am by Dan Berg »

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:59:29 am »

Dan,

It is good to worry about theft but the Moab area and the southwest in general is pretty safe, in my opinion. I've photographed the Colorado plateau since 1995, including Moab numerous times and the only official police warnings I have heard were, and still are, at Canyon De Chelly.

With that said I always keep my gear stowed in black bags and never laying out for people to see, except when using it, of course.

There is a candy store of treats to shoot near Moab. Arches of course, Delicate Arch (afternoon), but also Canyonlands Island in the Sky, Mesa Arch(sunrise), Dead Horse State Park overlook (either), Fisher Towers area (afternoon). Just south of Moab is Tukuhnikavits Arch, (afternoon), short hike involved.

Driving from Moab to Yellowstone is a slog with nothing to shoot without a diversion of more than a few miles. Be sure and go through the Tetons.

Best,

Tony B.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »

Other notes

The drive from Moab into Canyonlands 'Island in the Sky' district takes about an hour, remember that for sunrise.

I thought Upheaval Dome was an unexpected surprise (island in the sky), do not go off of the terrible photo at the trail head (if it has not been changed).  It would probably be really interesting seeing it from ground level but that would be a very long hike.

You have scheduled 2 days to drive from Moab to Grand Teton N.P.  Its a 9 hour drive so you could stay an extra day in Moab if you need it.

Another note to remember, the drive from Grand Teton N.P. to the intersection at West Thumb of Yellowstone Lake takes longer than expected.  From the Jenny lake area it might take around 1 1/2 hrs.

If Jenny lake does not allow you to camp there you can head to Signal Mountain campground just down the road.

Hopefully Brett Edge or Miles Hecker chime in is they seem to have good knowledge of their prospective areas.

dgberg

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 01:08:48 pm »

Tony and Bill,many thanks.
Since I have been to the Tetons and Yellowstone the extra day in and around Moab makes a lot of sense.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »

While in Moab, be sure to drive to Wall Street, an amazing stretch of cliffs along the Colorado River. There are also some very nice petroglyphs there. I think it's on Potash Road, but ask in town to be sure. That's west of Moab. To the east, drive east on rte 128, also along the river, to Fisher Towers, preferably late in the day, for some great views.

The La Sal Mountains loop road provides many impressive vistas.

The Best Edge Photo Gallery in Moab is worth a visit. The photographer - name forgotten - is very skilled and displays many impressive photos of the Moab area. I think he is on this forum now and then.

And last, but not least, Zax Pizza in Moab has some really terrific pizzas. Utah, great pizza - who would have guessed!?

Have a great trip!

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:05 pm »

I wouldn't worry tremendously about theft near the western parks. It's possible, but I never had any problems in any of those places, and my Silverado was packed with photo gear, astronomical telescopes, etc.

In addition to the serious natural splendor that everyone is recommending, I also enjoy the oddball kitschy stuff. South of Moab, there's a crazy tourist attraction where a man carved (well, blasted really) a home out of a solid rock cliff, back in the '40s. I enjoyed the heck out of that. Took a lot of photos in there, before the fantastic high ISO cameras we have now came along.

Another thing I enjoyed was just walking through the open land to the southwest of Moab, away from the popular parks and sites. If you look closely, you can find everything from Anasazi ruins to unusual animal and plant species.

Where were you planning to stop between PA and UT? If you can overnight in eastern Iowa, I can recommend a very soul-soothing stop for you. You might end up staying though.

dgberg

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 06:28:44 pm »

I wouldn't worry tremendously about theft near the western parks. It's possible, but I never had any problems in any of those places, and my Silverado was packed with photo gear, astronomical telescopes, etc.

In addition to the serious natural splendor that everyone is recommending, I also enjoy the oddball kitschy stuff. South of Moab, there's a crazy tourist attraction where a man carved (well, blasted really) a home out of a solid rock cliff, back in the '40s. I enjoyed the heck out of that. Took a lot of photos in there, before the fantastic high ISO cameras we have now came along.

Another thing I enjoyed was just walking through the open land to the southwest of Moab, away from the popular parks and sites. If you look closely, you can find everything from Anasazi ruins to unusual animal and plant species.

Where were you planning to stop between PA and UT? If you can overnight in eastern Iowa, I can recommend a very soul-soothing stop for you. You might end up staying though.

I have a buggy Mennonite friend who moved to Mason City,Iowa.
If I have time I might stop and visit him on the way home since I will coming back on the northern route.
No specific stops on the way out but would really like to only take 3 days,so that means very few stops.
Just going to do the highway motels on the way out and back as that will be the quickest for me.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I could use an extra month.

Misirlou

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 06:54:49 pm »

I have a buggy Mennonite friend who moved to Mason City,Iowa.
If I have time I might stop and visit him on the way home since I will coming back on the northern route.
No specific stops on the way out but would really like to only take 3 days,so that means very few stops.
Just going to do the highway motels on the way out and back as that will be the quickest for me.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I could use an extra month.

Ah, Mason City....  Your Mennonite friend may or may not be aware of some interesting photographic subjects there. Let me get back to you on that tomorrow.

Misirlou

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 10:46:59 am »

As it turns out, Mason City has architecture far beyond what you might expect in the typical small Midwest town. There are several structures designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. You can tour his Stockman House, which came from early in his prairie period, but I think my favorite there is combination of bank and hotel, right on the town square. It was done when Wright was interested in pre-Columbian features. Much of the bank has been "renovated" out of existence, but the last time I was there, a foundation was in the middle of restoring the hotel portion.

There are plenty of other interesting homes designed by some of Wright's disciples in Mason City. My wife and I almost bought one in 2005. There is also a large mansion that was donated to the city and now serves as an art museum. McNider Museum I believe. I think we tied up our Airstream at the McNider RV Park, or perhaps I don't have the name quite right. But I remember enjoying it. They had a great city-owned water park too.

I imagine you'll just be passing through, but since you'll probably arrive and leave at hours when the light will be good, it might be worth your time to at least shoot the bank/hotel downtown.

dgberg

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:15:58 am »

As it turns out, Mason City has architecture far beyond what you might expect in the typical small Midwest town. There are several structures designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. You can tour his Stockman House, which came from early in his prairie period, but I think my favorite there is combination of bank and hotel, right on the town square. It was done when Wright was interested in pre-Columbian features. Much of the bank has been "renovated" out of existence, but the last time I was there, a foundation was in the middle of restoring the hotel portion.

There are plenty of other interesting homes designed by some of Wright's disciples in Mason City. My wife and I almost bought one in 2005. There is also a large mansion that was donated to the city and now serves as an art museum. McNider Museum I believe. I think we tied up our Airstream at the McNider RV Park, or perhaps I don't have the name quite right. But I remember enjoying it. They had a great city-owned water park too.

I imagine you'll just be passing through, but since you'll probably arrive and leave at hours when the light will be good, it might be worth your time to at least shoot the bank/hotel downtown.
Thank you for the followup information.

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 04:44:16 pm »

There are several structures designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. You can tour his Stockman House

I wonder if the roof leaked.   ;)

Later,
Johnny

Misirlou

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:20 pm »

I wonder if the roof leaked.   ;)

Later,
Johnny

The whole building was moved to its current location from somewhere else, if I remember correctly. It was in excellent condition when I went through; no signs of leaks and so forth. Extremely conventional for a Wright home. The later, more advanced designs were the ones more likely to be troublesome. I think the Stockman House had original High Back chairs though, and I find those desperately uncomfortable. Others with rigid posture may fare better.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up