Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bangladesh book  (Read 9944 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Bangladesh book
« on: November 12, 2005, 05:17:36 am »

Hi Michael,

I'd love to order your new book, but your transaction provider does not support Switzerland.  Or indeed many, many other countries....

Regards
David
--
David Mantripp

francois

Bangladesh book
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 06:02:10 am »

David,
In the country pop-up menu choose "Other". Then you'll be able to enter your country. I stumbled on the same issue and I'm also in Switzerland... Coincidence?

Francois

Hi Michael,

I'd love to order your new book, but your transaction provider does not support Switzerland.  Or indeed many, many other countries....

Regards
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 06:03:52 am by francois »
Francois

David Mantripp

Bangladesh book
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 06:51:22 am »

As I often say in my day job as a Usability Consultant, "never underestimate the stupidity of users"  

UPDATE: or indeed software engineers.  You can indeed enter "Other", but take careful note that this also resets the State/Province field to null, rather than "None". Then, of course, the next step fails and you have to start all over again.  I'm sure the book is worth it, but fercrissakes, can't these people get such a simple thing foolproof ?  (I do realise this is a third party processor, not a LL page)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 06:59:16 am by drm »
--
David Mantripp

michael

Bangladesh book
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 07:24:03 am »

Sorry that this is such a problem. I wish we controled it, but as you've noted, we don't. This is one of only a very small number of usability issues that we continiously wrestle with.

Michael

francofit

• http://
Bangladesh book
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 07:44:06 am »

I can confirm what Francois said-  I chose "Other" then entered my country (Italy) and again "Province" by hand.. and everything went successfully at the end.

Yes a bit painful, but the important is to get Michael's book ASAP!  

Ciao
Franco

David,
In the country pop-up menu choose "Other". Then you'll be able to enter your country. I stumbled on the same issue and I'm also in Switzerland... Coincidence?

Francois
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Franco

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Bangladesh book
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 12:53:04 pm »

we are curently working with an old, 3 x C (cranky, clunky, crappy), shopping cart that was pushed over to the new server wheezing and spluttering - we are trying to keep it going until a new shopping cart is in place in a week or so  

This will liklely produce other problems but finally I am sure it will be better (hope 3 x hope)

Chris

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Bangladesh book
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:33:33 pm »

Hooray!    

Mine came today, and it is quite handsome. The B&W and color reproductions all look quite good, and the overall quality appears excellent. And it only took nine days from ordering to delivery (Massachusetts) via UPS.

Nice work, Michael (no surprise there.) I find it very useful to see the concrete results of your experiment with self-publishing. The book and articles complement each other very nicely, and the book would be beautiful and a fine purchase even if one had no interest in self-publishing.

Thank you for doing this.

Of course, I still hope you'll do a book on China (hint, hint).

Eric  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Mantripp

Bangladesh book
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 04:53:49 pm »

Has anybody in Europe received there copy yet ? I got a payment receipt on Nov 12th, and a shipping confirmation a few days later, but no book yet (20th Dec).

Going by the almost non-existent discussion of it, I suppose distribution has been a bit slow so far...
--
David Mantripp

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Bangladesh book
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 08:41:49 pm »

Hi David

It does not surprise me that you have yet to receive your book. We have had many such queries and comments from European clients.

All shipments of the Bangladesh book outside of N. America are by 1st
Class Mail - so shipping times can be up to six weeks for a parcel of
this weight and the Christmas mail rush will also slow things down.

Of course you could have chosen Fed Ex but that more than doubles the cost of the book  

best, Chris

francois

Bangladesh book
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 02:55:44 am »

Has anybody in Europe received there copy yet ? I got a payment receipt on Nov 12th, and a shipping confirmation a few days later, but no book yet (20th Dec).

Going by the almost non-existent discussion of it, I suppose distribution has been a bit slow so far...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
David,
I'm still waiting for the the books... So you're not alone!
Francois

francofit

• http://
Bangladesh book
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 04:46:14 am »

David,
I'm still waiting for the the books... So you're not alone!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54030\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, same here- a small town in northern Italy.

Based on what I have experienced with the timings of LL-VJ  which I receive always within about 10 days (BLISS), but also one case (around 2 years ago) of a shipment for two back issues which took three months   ,
I have planned myself to become nervous about this book delivery only if not received after the end of February  (shipped on Nov 17)      

BTW, I don't like the idea to give more money to Fed-Ex than to the priceless LL  authors!
Franco

francois

Bangladesh book
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 05:16:27 am »

Yes, same here- a small town in northern Italy.

Based on what I have experienced with the timings of LL-VJ  which I receive always within about 10 days (BLISS), but also one case (around 2 years ago) of a shipment for two back issues which took three months   ,
I have planned myself to become nervous about this book delivery only if not received after the end of February  (shipped on Nov 17)     

BTW, I don't like the idea to give more money to Fed-Ex than to the priceless LL  authors!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And we shouldn't forget that it's the Holiday season, this alone could add a couple of weeks  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:16:40 am by francois »
Francois

David Mantripp

Bangladesh book
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 07:14:29 am »

And we shouldn't forget that it's the Holiday season, this alone could add a couple of weeks 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that's ok then. I don't mind waiting, I was just a bit concerned that it was late, as generally the time betweeen shipping notification & receipt of the LLVJ is around 1 week for me...   just as well it isn't released at Christmas.

I just got a flash image of Chris dressing up in a Santa Claus costume to deliver the books.  I think I need another drink  
--
David Mantripp

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Bangladesh book
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 01:28:33 pm »

I just got a flash image of Chris dressing up in a Santa Claus costume to deliver the books.  I think I need another drink 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Make it a double!

francois

Bangladesh book
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 01:41:08 pm »

Well that's ok then. I don't mind waiting, I was just a bit concerned that it was late, as generally the time betweeen shipping notification & receipt of the LLVJ is around 1 week for me...   just as well it isn't released at Christmas.
I just got a flash image of Chris dressing up in a Santa Claus costume to deliver the books.  I think I need another drink 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you drink enough, you may receive two books!
Francois

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Bangladesh book
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 06:47:03 pm »

No, it would just appear that way until the hangover subsided...

francois

Bangladesh book
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 07:09:22 am »

I just received a couple of copies of the Bangladesh book, right in-time for Christmas... So they start to arrive in Europe.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:09:48 am by francois »
Francois

David Mantripp

Bangladesh book
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 07:34:58 am »

Mine too, in the post this morning.

Very, very first impressions - I have about zero spare time today: quality is pretty good - obviously some compromises, I would say particularly in terms of deep shadow detail, but in value for money terms, 10/10.  The photos look much better than they do on the web, and there is a very nice flow through the book.

And the surprise bonus is very nice too :-)    (well it was a surprise to me...maybe it was publicised)

Anyway... time to go and contribute to the Christmas spending frenzy :-(  Consume For Christ!
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up