Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebook publication tools  (Read 2551 times)

LocalHero1953

• Paul Ashley Photography
Ebook publication tools
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:07:20 am »

I'm not a pro, but I'm posting here because pros may have some advice.

I want to create ephotobooks for family & friends, and maybe for sale if anyone wants them. I have looked at a number of options but found no easy solution.
- I have used Lightroom and Blurb to create actual photobooks, but Blurb's ebook conversion is utter c4ap. :(
- High quality PDFs tend to be too large for emailing and downloading.
- Mac systems can use iBooks and iBooks Author; but I'm a PC/Windows person.
- Adobe Indesign, combined with the CircularFLO plugin, would do it. But as a photography CC subscriber, I don't want to pay another £17/month for Indesign :o.

I think what I want is to create ebooks in "Fixed Layout EPUB3" format, but there may be better ideas. I don't mind if the ebook is to be downloaded or read online.

Any suggestions?

Paul

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
Re: Ebook publication tools
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:26 am »

I own an actual copy of inDesign and before that, we still use the last version of Adobe Pagemaker 7.    I think you can still buy it new too.   I remember the service rep at Adobe was suprized one day to find that people still used it in place of InDesign.  I kinda let him have it. 

I told him that InDesign is great for people who want to play on a computer all day, but fi you are working 12 to 14 hours days like me and you jsut want to get the damned job done on time, Pagemaker was still the way to go.   I think I hurt his feeelings.  :)

Look around, i see used copies with serial numbers you can legit transfer over to a new owner.  If so, Pagemaker 7 might be the way to go for you.
good luck

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:45:25 am »

You could also try Microsoft Publisher

Jay

LocalHero1953

• Paul Ashley Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:15:35 am »

Thanks for both ideas - neither had occurred to me! I'll look at Publisher and see what old s/w is available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up