Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K OLED TV screens for slide show  (Read 50306 times)

Ray

4K OLED TV screens for slide show
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:58:49 pm »

For the past few years I've been downsizing selected images to 1080 pixels for display on 55" and 65" plasma HDTV sets. The image quality from a normal viewing distance seems quite adequate, but there's no doubt that double the resolution from UHD would be a big improvement if one is prepared to sit close enough to the screen.

Unfortunately, so far, all the 4K TV displays have been LCD with limited contrast ratio and possibly reduced image quality when viewing at an angle. This has put me off getting one. Compared with standard HDTV Plasma screens  I feel that current UHD displays represent one step forward and one step backwards.

However, this situation seems about to change with LG's introduction of an OLED Ultra HD 65" set which is already available in Korea and should be available in the US around the end of September.
http://www.videoandaudiocenter.com/LG-65EC9700-65-Inch-Curved-4K-Ultra-HD-3D-p/65ec9700.htm

As far as I understand, OLED can produce even better image quality than Plasma. Each individual pixel can be reduced in intensity to the point of being completely switched off. The contrast ratio and color range is claimed to be amazing. Could this be the ideal display system for a slide show, I ask myself.

Whilst the price is a bit steep, the discounted price of $6,999 seems quite reasonable considering how new this technology is. However, I'm unable to find answers to some significant questions, particularly with regard to the color space used. The old Rec. 709 standard for HDTV seems about the same as sRGB, apart from a slight difference in gamma which has an effect on the shadows.

The new color space for UHDTV is defined by Rec. 2020, which is much wider than Rec. 709 or sRGB. In fact, Rec. 2020 seems to be almost as wide as ProPhoto RGB. Attached is a diagram comparing Rec. 2020 with Rec. 709, from Wikipedia. The description of the image is as follows:

"Diagram of the CIE 1931 color space that shows the Rec. 2020 (UHDTV) color space in the outer triangle and Rec. 709 (HDTV) color space in the inner triangle. Both Rec. 2020 and Rec. 709 use Illuminant D65 for the white point."

Whilst Adobe Photoshop includes the color profile Rec. 709, I can see no Rec. 2020 listed. I wonder if this new LG  65EC9700 OLED model has adopted the new Rec. 2020 standard with regard to color gamut. I can find no mention of it in any of the specifications I've seen listed for this new set.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: 4K OLED TV screens for slide show
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:36 am »

No - LG uses white OLED with applied RGB filters design, so it's not that impressive. Samsung RGB OLED design has noticeably larger gamut, but also doesn't cover 100% of Rec.2020 .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:51:32 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:23:45 am »

Samsung RGB OLED design has noticeably larger gamut, but also doesn't cover 100% of Rec.2020 .

Hi Marcin,

Do you have any idea/reference/guestimate how much (%) of Rec.2020 it approximately covers?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »

No - LG uses white OLED with applied RGB filters design, so it's not that impressive. Samsung RGB OLED design has noticeably larger gamut, but also doesn't cover 100% of Rec.2020 .

Hi,
I presume you are comparing standard HDTV OLED models. As far as I can find out, Samasung hasn't yet announced when it will produce a 4K OLED screen. According to the following news item from CNET, dated  19th August this year, LG's 55" OLED HDTV scored highest out of all the models compared, including some LCD Ultra HDTV models, one Samsung OLED standard HD model, and one Samsung Plasma model. Refer attached chart.

It's interesting that Samsung's Plasma model gets highest marks for color accuracy, but it's not clear to me what color accuracy refers to, in this context. Does it relate to 'ease of calibration' of the screen, for example?

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-wins-value-electronics-shootout-2014/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:52 pm »

Ray, I've been using 2k hdtv for slide shows for awhile now.  Like you I'm itching to get a 4k but with 3D also.  What the heck?

One clarification.  4k has 8 times the total quantity of pixel as does 2k.  4k is just the long side which is double the 2k.  The short side is double too, squaring the results.  I saw a 65" Samsung at Best Buy.  It was showing movies not slides but was very sweet nonetheless. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:36:42 pm »

Here're the stats.  A High Definition TV with 1080p resolution is composed of two million pixels (1920 x 1080), while a 4K TV (aka Ultra High Definition) has over eight million pixels (3840 x 2160). Therefore, 4K has around four times more resolution than 1080p and produces a clearer picture.

One downside.  You'll have to update sound system receivers to 4k although you can continue to use existing speakers if you're using 5.1 sound systems.   Also Play stations like PS3 won't work.  Not sure about PS4.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:39:17 pm by Alan Klein »

Ray

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:11 pm »

Here're the stats.  A High Definition TV with 1080p resolution is composed of two million pixels (1920 x 1080), while a 4K TV (aka Ultra High Definition) has over eight million pixels (3840 x 2160). Therefore, 4K has around four times more resolution than 1080p and produces a clearer picture.

One downside.  You'll have to update sound system receivers to 4k although you can continue to use existing speakers if you're using 5.1 sound systems.   Also Play stations like PS3 won't work.  Not sure about PS4.  

Alan,
You should know better.  ;)

Pixel count is not the same as resolution, although they are obviously related. Quadruple the pixel count equates to double the resolution, for screens of the same aspect ratio. The resolution of screens is measured in terms of lines (or pixels) per picture height and/or picture width.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:54 am »

ok. Glad you clarified that.

Ray

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:06:11 am »

It seems there is a slight delay. The 65" OLED UHDTV model will be available in October, and the 77" model in November. The price of the 77" is far too high for me, but unfortunately it's the 77" model that's required for 4K TV, viewing from a normal or average distance.

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-curved-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tvs-coming-to-the-us-q4-2014-12345986/

fotogen

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:40 am »

I saw some 4k OLED's on IFA, Berlin, very impresive.

The best to me was a demonstration model, not for sale, from panasonic. They point out, the durability is not satisfying the needs, so it will last a year or two, to sale.

The stuff was not good instructed, so i couldnt catch any specs.

Another intereesting notice: Sony was the only booth with a 4k hd player to power the screen. But it was hidden behind the screen and i had to ask. They wan't sell it in Europe, but as give away with the bigest screens 25'$ it is yet deliverd. The guy thought, 1 GBit Ethernet, conectedt to an reasonable PC, is the only relaible way to power a 4 K screen with good material (high BitRate, not youtube).

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 12:24:47 pm »

The 4K UHDTV should be good for BluRay movies and your own slide shows.  Bandwidth probably will be a problem as well as originators providing content might be  a long time coming.

Ray

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »

Looks like there's going to be an interesting competition between OLED and Quantum Dot-enhanced LCD. It seems that a Chinese company by the name of TCL is about to release an affordable, full gamut, Quantum Dot UHDTV. Unfortunately it's only 55", which is a bit small for appreciation of UHD.

However, this company, TCL. holds the record for the largest screen of 110 inches. Perhaps they'll eventually release an affordable Quantum Dot 110" UHDTV. That would be ideal. ;D

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2601457/quantum-dot-55-in-uhd-tv-to-sell-for-one-third-the-price-of-oleds.html
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/article/6308/beating-samsung-lg-chinese-company-releases-world%E2%80%99s-first-110-curved-uhd-tv

fotogen

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 04:54:47 pm »

However, this company, TCL. holds the record for the largest screen of 110 inches. Perhaps they'll eventually release an affordable Quantum Dot 110" UHDTV. That would be ideal. ;D

TCL was on IFA. The 4K screens did not impress me at all. Flare coulor and low contrast. Shure, dificult situation on a booth, but the others did it much better.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »

...the durability is not satisfying the needs, so it will last a year or two, to sale.

That's been the big problem with OLEDs for 25 years. BTW, what do you mean by "to sale"?

Jim

fotogen

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:05:46 am »

sorry for my poor english. to sale the date, it will be in the shop

Ray

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 01:41:02 am »

This LG UHD OLED 65" TV has now been released but I'm having difficulty finding any recent in-depth reviews. The best I can find is this fairly recent Australian review which is really no more than a visual impression.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/lg-ec970t-curved-ultra-hd-oled-tv-australian-review/

However, for those who are concerned about reflections, as mentioned by Fotogen in this thread, I'm afraid that this is an unavoidable consequence of a glossy screen. I get such reflections from my current Panasonic Plasma HDTV, which are a nuisance when watching TV or a slide show in bright daylight with sunlight streaming through the windows.

In such circumstances it is necessary to draw the curtains, and/or view the screen from a different angle. In the above article the author has this to say about the issue, and I have to agree.

"Being a super-glossy screen, curved panels sometimes have the downside of picking up reflections in the room around you and, focusing, I watched the EC970T in a room with super-strong backlighting behind the TV, and in a well-lit room, and in dark scenes it was possible. To be experienced at its best, this is a TV that you should watch in a dark room with the lights dimmed and no lamps on around your viewing area. That way you can really enjoy those amazing black and white levels."[/b]

Fine_Art

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »

Same as this?

"Also of note in recent display news is the introduction of a 31" IPS Cinema 4K panel from LG, offering an impressive 99.5% of AdobeRGB (as opposed to the more typical 97%), which supports calibration and offers 10-bit display."

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2281777404/high-pixel-density-camera-displays-and-wide-gamut-cinema-4k-panel-japan-display-innovation-2014

Better info
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-led-monitor
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:32:32 pm by Fine_Art »

Ray

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 09:19:15 pm »

Same as this?

Not really. There's a big difference between 31" and 65".  Also, this 31" IPS model is still LCD. The new OLED screens allow for a much wider viewing angle without distortion of color and contrast. In that sense they are like Plasma screens and the old-fashioned CRT monitors and TV sets.

My main interest in this LG  65EC9700 OLED model is for slide-show purposes. 31" would be too small. However, if the big OLED screen could also be used as a second monitor attached to a modern laptop with 4K capability, that would be an added attraction.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up