Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you think of this backup device for traveling photographers  (Read 5957 times)

mmmage

Dunno if this is the right place for this thread - sorry if it's not!

Our team is developing a extended wireless solid state disk for traveling photographers. It helps the photographers to travel light without a laptop. This device includes four features:

1. Backup the photos directly. The photos can be piped into the device as the usb wire is connected.
2. Smart preview for the raw files. User can view a large raw file by iPad (or Android tablet) in a second with the device. This is the main difference with other wireless card readers.
3. With the app, user can sort the works easily. It allows users to check the Exif info, sort the works with "Pick and Reject", and share the smaller preview images to social network.
4. It can be used as a wireless hard drive. User can bring some movies on the road to play.

http://igg.me/at/mportable/x/8089777

How do you think of such a device? Do you think if it is useful? Genuinely looking for feedback from the photography community, looking to discuss the project, get some ideas before we finial release it.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: How do you think of this backup device for traveling photographers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:00 am »

Couple of things...

You don't mention capacity of the SSD drives nor an intended price point.

When you say you support "professional RAW formats", what do you mean? You realize there are now aver 375 raw file formats out there with new cameras spawning new file formats on a regular basis. How are you ripping the previews from the raws? (BTW, we generally call them raw not RAW because raw isn't an acronym).

Can the stored raw files be processed to JPEGs for sharing? Any sort of image adjustments planned?

Any plans to do a mirrored backup to two MP's connected? The reason why is that I always back up to two separate drives before reformatting the cards...

If a camera (I have a Sony RX 100 II that has wireless capability) has wireless, can the MP suck shots from the camera while shooting?

Personally, I do see this product as taking the place of a laptop on a shoot project, but it could work intraday to get a working backup in the field while being able to pre-edit and see what you just shot. But, I will always be taking the captures and doing an edit/review on the laptop. Even though laptop displays aren't great, at least there the ability to calibrate and profile the display. Not so with phones and other mobility devices.

Could of interesting things to think about for the future (in case you come to market) is the ability to use the MP like a tethered device and use the mobility device to view live view from the camera and actually actuate the shutter on command.

Good luck, wish you well. When/if you get into production I suspect Kevin or Mike would be interested in taking a look with an eye on doing a review.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mmmage

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »

Schewe, thanks for your comments.

You don't mention capacity of the SSD drives nor an intended price point.
The capacity of SSD drives includes: 64G, 120G, 240G and 500G. SSD's price is down these days. Now an SSD of 240GB costs about $120, and a 120GB CF card costs about $190.

When you say you support "professional RAW formats", what do you mean? You realize there are now aver 375 raw file formats out there with new cameras spawning new file formats on a regular basis. How are you ripping the previews from the raws? (BTW, we generally call them raw not RAW because raw isn't an acronym).

Most of raw file formats are supported, such as CR2, NEF.

Can the stored raw files be processed to JPEGs for sharing? Any sort of image adjustments planned?
Yes, they will be processed to JPEGs for sharing. Image adjustment is not included in current version. But you may import the image to iPad, and adjust it by other apps.

Any plans to do a mirrored backup to two MP's connected? The reason why is that I always back up to two separate drives before reformatting the cards...
Thanks for your suggestion. We'll consider adding it.

As I discussed with my partner, I realized it supports this feature in current version. When two MP'S  are connected with USB wire, just power off the source MP, and the photos in source MP will be piped into the dest MP.  

If a camera (I have a Sony RX 100 II that has wireless capability) has wireless, can the MP suck shots from the camera while shooting?
It does not support wireless backup now. It's an interesting feature. We're researching it. Different types of camera use different protocols for wifi transfer. It needs some time.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:27:26 am by mmmage »

mmmage

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:01 pm »

Sounds like a modern version of this:
http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2009/11/review-sanho-hyperdrive-colors.html

Yes, that's our original inspiration  ;D.  

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »

I'm at a loss as to what features this product has over the existing Hyperdrive.  I would recommend having some comparison to highlight the advantages.

I would say it's behind the Hyperdrive as it relies on the USB of the camera to read a card - as in the camera can not backup a card while shooting.  A typical situation for me is to shoot to cards, take the card out of the camera and then back it up using a device like the Hyperdrive.  Then the card and Hyperdrive are stored separately until I return home.

I would also point out that you're set as a 'flexible funding' so you collect money even if the product isn't fully funded.  If you don't meet the funding goal, what are you able to deliver to those who pay?

Best of luck, even if this specific item doesn't work out, we have seen how a v2 or revamped product can be a huge hit.
t: @PNWMF

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »

Personally I'm surprised people still use devices like the hyperdrive. I had one a long time ago when I had only a few 256mb cards.

I think such are devices are a compromise and will get squeezed out. More specifically:

If I need to travel light I will just carry enough memory cards to last my whole trip. Memory cards are super cheap now and one can easily carry enough cards for a multi-week trip. Ideally one would use a camera with dual slots for backup.

If weight is not at such a premium I would take a light laptop for the extra functionality that allows (editing, internet access, etc). An 11" MB Air is only 2.4 lbs and perhaps 1/2 lb for the power adapter.

Since the MP needs a tablet to view the images (and verify they've been copied over without error), this device only makes sense to me if I can I budget more than 1 lb but less than 3 lbs for my backup/computer devices.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:33 am »

Y'know what I wold like to see? A simple, cheap device that does one thing and one thing only - back up SD cards.

1) Insert the SD card in a slot.
2) Device automatically copies all new files to its internal storage.
3) LED flashes during transfer, turns off when complete.
4) Small LCD display showing storage space remaining.
5) USB/Bluetooth for transfer to computer.

No bells, no whistles, just backup. If such already exists, please tell me!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:14:13 pm »

Y'know what I wold like to see? A simple, cheap device that does one thing and one thing only - back up SD cards.

1) Insert the SD card in a slot.
2) Device automatically copies all new files to its internal storage.
3) LED flashes during transfer, turns off when complete.
4) Small LCD display showing storage space remaining.
5) USB/Bluetooth for transfer to computer.

No bells, no whistles, just backup. If such already exists, please tell me!

I still have this one: https://www.digitalfoci.com/products/df-photo-solutions/photo-safe-ii.html which looks similar to what you want. Didn't use it for a couple of years now, I just take a laptop and download to an external HDD without formatting the cards. Need to carry the computer though.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:30 pm »

Forgot to mention, the thing is SLOW and I wouldn't backup more than 8 GB on a full battery. It's nice in the hotel room, you can keep plugged in the outlet and do whatever you want while the card is downloading.

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:48:58 am »

I used the Sanho device after a trip to Portugal.  Personally, I feel better with a backup because cards can go corrupt on you.  (See my other thread on this site about that.) 

Last thing I wanted to do is travel with a laptop, and maybe it is just me, but the way customs keeps asking you "are you travelling with a laptop?" kinda creeps me out.   It felt good to say "no".  Also, I found overseas, if you need something for e-mail, etc, get get a small tablet or th elike.

I bought the Sanho because there was no real alternative, but it does have it's issues.  As others have pointed out, battery life after you download a 32 GB card is pretty bad.

Another issue is, memory cards might be cheap here (in the USA & Canada), but not overseas, and that is assuming you can find them to begin with.  My personal experience, on the island of Sao Miguel, Azores, I found one store that had high quality memory cards, and SD cards only.  A really good SD card in teh 32 GB range here in NA that might sell for around $40 US was 40 Euros, and roughly speaking, one Euro = $1.40 US or $1.50 CDN, give or take.     If you are like me and liek comapct flash cards, I found exactly one old AGFA film CF flash card, 16GB, old, old stock,  and that was almost 40 Euros.

so to me, if the trip is important enough,  you need backup.   one last thing however.   The Sanho was, to me, pretty expensive.  I bought the shell and installed my own 1 TB drive.    Their 1 TB drive version was (is) around $600 US or more,a nd for that price, why not just buy a small laptop/notebook of some kind and an external hard drive for backup?

If you want to make something like this work, you have to keep the price point, IMO, below the cost of other alternatives.   Otherwise, I don't think most people would buy one.
good luck

mmmage

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:10:32 pm »

I would also point out that you're set as a 'flexible funding' so you collect money even if the product isn't fully funded.  If you don't meet the funding goal, what are you able to deliver to those who pay?

Money is not a problem. The goal that we go to indiegogo is more about getting feedback, checking if we go a wrong way. We can deliver the product.

The device like Sanho is out of date. The CPU is getting much powerful and cheaper these days. The tablet and mobile make travel much more easy. We just want to use the new tech to bring something new. It is not only a simple backup device, but also a wireless photo server for photographers. With it, you can view, sort, and share the photos on the road, even do some post-processing work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up