Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refrigerating Ink Carts  (Read 1305 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Refrigerating Ink Carts
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

Does refrigerating ink carts prolong their life past the expiration date? I have a chance to buy ink carts for my Z3100 that were expired in 2008-2009 but always kept in a refrigerator so will they still work ok?
Mike

Paul Roark

Re: Refrigerating Ink Carts
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:51:02 pm »

First, I don't know.  But from what I've seen making the generic dilution bases for pigs, I would not recommend storing the carts much below whatever HP says is their temperature range.  Somewhere they probably have that number.  The co-solvents in inks (not the pigments) are dissolved in the solution.  At some point, if the ink becomes too cold, you may push some of these out of solution and get precipitation or separation.

In general, of course, chemical reactions are slower at lower temperatures.  With at least some pigments, the coating that gives the electrostatic repulsion to the particles slowly oxidizes, compromising the dispersion of the pigs.

FWIW,

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »

Refrigeration served photographers well in the emulsion era, but I'm not sure that I'd view years in cold storage as a plus for older Vivera ink.  HP specifically says that there is no need to refrigerate their ink.

The twelve Vivera inks seem remarkably stable, so you might be just fine.  Unfortunately, you won't know anything for sure unless you start printing with them.  I think that a significant portion of the calculated shelf life of their ink cartridges is more based on ink delivery concerns vs. ink breakdown.  The seals and thin plastic membranes break down over time, and HP doesn't want to have to make good on too many failed cartridges.  Out of over 500 HP 70 cartridges used, HP replaced two as defective.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Mike Sellers

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:48:54 pm »

Hi,
Are you saying you have used over 500 carts in your printer??
Mike

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:04:02 pm »

Yes, I'm saying that.  I've had it seven years, and I often run it seven days a week.

Like a drug dealer, HP gave me the first set of carts "for free."
-Ron H.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:35:17 am »

Wow, that's an amazing testimonial to the Z printers quality and durability! Have you had any breakdowns?

Mike Sellers

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:17:17 am »

Paul,
Thanks for the heads up. I would like to take your Golden Trout Workshop sometime!
Mike

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »

Have you had any breakdowns?
Yes, I think that it qualifies as being a workhorse, given the service it has provided me.  I have replaced some parts, but I feel like it has been quite reliable for the amount of printing it has done.
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up