Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing issues with Epson 3880 & Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper  (Read 5562 times)

CRFTony

After months of using nothing but Epson Luster paper, I bought some Epson Exhibition Fine Art paper to try out.  It prints fine until the last inch or so, then I can see it get kicked askew and the prints are ruined as the printing isn't aligned and the prints are scratched. I've tried every platen setting and it does this on every one. I'm very disappointed as I was excited to use "better" paper but now that paper is basically worthless to me. This is 8.5x11 paper, fwiw.  I'm wondering if I should try any other, thicker papers or just stick with luster. 

Here's an image of several ruined test prints so you can see the issue.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Printing issues with Epson 3880 & Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »

All down the border you are getting head strikes also, note all the dark ink lines at the edge of the margins, on both sides.  What do you have the platen gap set to, with this paper it should be widest or wider.  Standard will always cause this type of problem.  This is much thicker paper than Luster, even though Epson rates the Luster at a 260 W and EEF at 300.  You also may have a bit of curl in the paper which might need a bit of de-curling, but I can't tell for sure.

Check your printer for platen gap settings, and look up the Epson recommended printer settings, also should have come on a sheet of paper in the box of paper.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

CRFTony

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »

The head strikes were caused on the standard platen setting. I tried both wider and widest and that stopped the head strikes but did not stop the paper moving at the very end of the print cycle.  I think the bottom two prints in the image were done at widest, then wider, then standard is on top.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:00:13 pm by CRFTony »

Dr Tone

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:14:40 pm »

Which feeder are you using?

Is there a curl in the paper where it's happening?

CRFTony

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »

I've tried the automatic and manual rear feeders.  The printer accepts it easily both ways.  It's frustrating because it prints perfectly fine until the very end, then when I'm watching, I can see it get kicked askew at the same point every time.  It's almost like a roller pushes too hard, or one releases too soon.  But I've printed on luster again since this issue and the luster works fine.

I can't see any curl in the paper.  It lays flat in the box and when I lay a sheet out on a table, it looks flat to me. 

Dr Tone

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:37:14 pm »

Manual rear is the best choice for Exhibition Fiber.

Silly question, but you do have the paper exit tray all the way out to receive the paper?  Just want to make sure it isn't caching on something on exit.

CRFTony

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »

No, I appreciate any suggestions, ideas.  I do have the tray pulled out all the way.  I can't see where anything would hit it.  After the first 2 problem prints, I watched the sheets come out for the last two and I can't see anything hitting.  It seems to be a feed issue.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 07:29:16 am »

Just for grins put your paper in the other direction and see if you get the same results. (8 1/2" width into printer)

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:03:00 am »

I've seen similar using Breathing Color Silverado in the 3880.  Really hate that paper for its strong edge curl and head strikes that knock the paper askew.

Aside, I had a feed issue when I was feeding canvas using that tape leader thing recommended as a means to get the 3800/3880 to accept canvas.  My tape came apart and wrapped up in the rollers and I had to take the thing apart to get it all out.  Tape had gummed up the works.  Subsequent feeds slipped at times and my cure seemed to have been feeding a heavy cloth-type sheet of paper through the printer multiple times manually with the first half of it soaked in alcohol.  Might helped clean the underside of the head too.

Some papers leave some fine dust residue behind off the back.  Don't know if that could cause slippage, but if it did I might try the soaked leader cleaning and see.

I'd watch the paper edge as it moves through the printer from the top inspection area's door and see where it occurs and to see if the head is hitting and pushing it.  Mine made a lot of noise when it did strikes with the Silverado.  If it doesn't appear that the head is hitting and is quiet there, then could be a feed roller is slipping somewhere on the shaft, or something is in there causing a serious drag on one side.

SG

Randy Carone

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:38:04 am »

CRFTony - did you set the Custom Paper to 5 or 6 on the front Menu panel on the printer? Right button to Menu, 4 Down button clicks to Custom Paper and set the Thickness. Sounds like the head is ticking the edge of the paper after it leaves the last set of rollers on the feed side of the head. You should be able to see this through the door above the head, which can be opened during printing. I'd also try Widest if the paper is in a medium to high humidity situation, as this can increase the thickness of the EEF. Good luck and post back if you find a solution.
Randy Carone

AFairley

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 10:38:27 am »

I had the same problem with 5x7 EEF via rear feed, and once on 17x22 on my 3880.  Decurling the paper end (EEF used to be perfectly flat out of the box, but my last 3 boxes of 17x22 have had some curl, so something has changed) helped some but what did the trick for me was putting an empty 100 sheet 8x11 paper box on the output tray (or 2 for 17x22 prints) so the paper is not dropping down as far onto the output tray but has an almost horizontal output feed line.  So far no more skews on either size.  I also increased the platen gap to wide since I was getting some corner head strikes.

So to recap, platen gap to wide, decurl (I just use my hands)trailing edge of paper just before printing, support paper as it exits the printer.

Since this is a problem that was not present when the printer was new, I would guess it may be a stuff on the rollers issue.

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:40:35 am by AFairley »

David Horton

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 10:51:34 am »

Try printing in portrait orientation from back sheet feed with flat paper only, ensuring that edge guide is properly located against edge of sheet. Paper is clearly being displaced by head strikes owing to curl and/or thickness issue. Ensure that output tray is extended fully to support medium.

CRFTony

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 01:20:05 pm »

Thanks for all of the help and ideas!  I tried another test print this afternoon after trying to de-curl the paper (I did notice a slight bend at the sides upon closer inspection) and I made sure the platen and paper settings were correct.  This time I didn't get the skew so I'm very happy.  I did still have the slightest bit of black ink on the trailing edge, but everything else is perfect.  Since that area will be covered with a mat, or trimmed off anyway, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Thanks again!

Randy Carone

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 01:46:41 pm »

Don't be concerned about a bit of ink on the paper but DO be concerned about the head touching the paper as it passes. Not good.
Randy Carone

CRFTony

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »

Randy - How can I tell which it is? Here's a photo.  It's only on the back edge of the paper.

slackercruster

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 04:01:37 pm »

Your paper is curled up in the photos. I  had trash a load of the same paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up