Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MacBook Pro P45+ Combo, Great News  (Read 1390 times)

JoeKitchen

New MacBook Pro P45+ Combo, Great News
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »

So I just got the latest version of Apple's MacBook Pro, specifically the highest end configured 15 inch MacBook with the fasted processor available. 

With all of the hype about how thunderbolt does not provide enough power to power the back, and that the P series backs do not charge the battery in the back, I was worried I would need to buy more batteries and keep batter track of how charged they are.

But before pulling out the wallet, I decided to test this on my own to see how well or not thunderbolt powers my back.  I took out my Arca, through on my P45+ with no battery and put on my Roddie 55mm.  I plugged the back into my computer and viola, it turned on and connected with no battery. 

I set the ISO to 200, shutter speed 1 sec at f/11 and took a picture of my dim kitchen totally expecting the back to give me a error message.  It did not; the image come through with no problem.  So I dropped the ISO down to 50 and did an 8 sec exposure, thinking maybe a long exposure would be too much.  No problem once again; the back worked perfectly fine. 

I changed to my SK 35mm with the center filter and composed my angle with live view, think live view would probably be too much.  Live worked fine and I took my time composing my angle.  F/11, ISO 50, 35 seconds and no problems.  I put on a polarizer and did a 2 minute exposure and once again, no problems.  I unplugged my laptop and did it again, nothing changed, the back worked perfectly fine. 

So it appears either I am really lucky, or the new MacBooks were built with a little more juice coming through thunderbolt. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

Re: New MacBook Pro P45+ Combo, Great News
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:28:30 pm »

Thinking that rapid fire may cause an issue, I through my Roddie 55 back on, ISO 800, 1/15s at F/4.5 and just started firing off shots as fast as I could.  I took about 20 shots with out any problems; MacBook was not plugged in. 

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »

This can work but is not guaranteed to be stable. As long as you have a few batteries in your kit "just in case" then I can't see the harm of going this route until/unless you have issues.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »

Don't worry, I always keep a couple of charged batteries in my case.  I am just glade, for now, that I do not have to worry about charging them and keeping track of them as we move throughout a building. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up