Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piezography: I would like to try...  (Read 4334 times)

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
Piezography: I would like to try...
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:33:42 am »

(as always... sorry for my poor english)

Hi to you all,
I have recently purchased a new printer, and would like to convert my "old" Epson R2880 to a Piezography printer.
I've read about the process especially on the web (I live in a very small village in the italian Alps and don't know anyone who is passionate or interested in digital printing): so, any useful suggestions are very welcome!
Unfortunately I can't even find an italian dealer for the Piezography products, and it's a bit expensive for me to import inks, cartridges, etc. from USA.
Given that I only speak italian and a little english, I'm searching for an on-line european dealer.
Thank you in advance.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Piezography: I would like to try...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:40:19 am »

About a year ago I advised someone in Belgium on the conversion of an R3000 to a B&W inkset with more easily available ink components in the EU. I could dig up the email exchange on that subject.
Meanwhile you could check the Yahoo mailing lists for similar subjects;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/QuadtoneRIP/

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

asnapper

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:05:05 am »

I believe there is only one company selling Piezography inks here in Europe

http://inkjetsolution.eu/en_US/c/PIEZOGRAPHY-INK/85

They also sell refillable cartridges for just about every Epson model except the R2880, though they can be bought cheaply off eBay. I converted an R2880 printer to the Piezography Carbon ink set well over a year ago, but I bought direct from the USA, incurring VAT & duty, but at the time there was no European source for the inks.

Andrew 

Paul Roark

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:10:46 am »

One of the threads Ernst mentioned is here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/QuadtoneRIP/conversations/messages/10842

I use HP PK diluted with a generic base for neutral gloss printing, and I use MIS's Eboni MK diluted for matte 100% carbon printing.  These work in Epson printers.  For thermal heads use the base Ernst mentions in his posts.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:59:46 pm »

Thank you Ernst, Andrew and Paul for your replies.

@Andrew: 77,24 euro each 220ml bottle (102$, more or less) on the inkjetsolution store, about 28-29$ more expensive than on inkjetmall store (right!?). Not so cheap, even considering the customs duty. However, if for no other reason it is a good alternative. // Maybe the R2400 and the R2880 cartridges are the same?

@Paul: I had a look at your website: many compliments for your photographic works.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:09:20 pm by Roberto Frieri »

asnapper

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 02:15:19 pm »

Roberto,

My understanding is that the 2440 carts will not work with your 2880 printer.  As for the inks I found the carbon ink set far to warm on glossy paper, but gives a lovely palladium tone on matt papers. The next ink set I will get is the warmtone / neutral glossy ink set, the glossy black in this set works very well on matt papers, so it saves having to change the black ink cartridge when switching from glossy to matt, therefore you only need the 7 shades of ink + GO. The beauty of the r2880 is that you can have several sets of cartridges and switch between the different inks without wasting much ink at all. You cant do this without loosing a large amount of expensive ink with the r3000 and larger printers.

Andrew   

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:33:34 pm »

...My understanding is that the 2440 carts will not work with your 2880 printer...
Ok, thanks.

As for the inks ... The next ink set I will get is the warmtone / neutral glossy ink set, the glossy black in this set works very well on matt papers, so it saves having to change the black ink cartridge when switching from glossy to matt, therefore you only need the 7 shades of ink + GO...
Well, if I had understood correctly, this is the warm-neutral set for the R2880 http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.6732/.f?sc=15&category=39610
I love Lenswork magazine, I'm a subscriber and I particularly enjoy the images for its consistent warm, brown look.
I wonder which ones of piezography ink sets produces the most similar tone: carbon or warm-neutral?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:53:32 pm by Roberto Frieri »

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »

Roberto, I have had a bunch of my work printed on K7 Neutral, and found it too neutral for my taste. I decided to bring some K7 printing into my own hands, and converted a 3880 over using K7 Carbon. It is warm... on some papers, notably many Cansons, it is very warm. Some folks definitely find it too warm. :) But I really like warm tones and love printing with Carbon, especially on various matte papers. I want to get it dialed in on glossier stocks as well but so far I'm not satisfied with my results there; the jury remains out on that.

I haven't personally tried Warm-Neutral yet, or seen anything printed with that combination. (I have seen Selenium; it's my least personal favorite of the K7 variants I've seen.) But I think if you'd like to approximate the look of LW magazine, Warm-Neutral is probably the one to try first. Carbon definitely would be warmer than LW on most media.

brilli

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 04:29:34 am »

Hi Roberto,
I live in Germany and have a Piezo Special Edition in a 3880 installed as well as Pauls Eboni and a HP Z. If you want I can print your favourite picture on the different systems so you can see for yourself. ( No, I don' t sell anything, I do this just for fun...)

Adrian

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 03:26:17 pm »

@Royce: thank you for your advice. In fact, I'm particularly unsure what to try first:  neutral, warm-neutral, or maybe the new special edition.

@Adrian: thank you very much, but I don't want to take advantage of your kindness. I have already ordered some Piezography samples, so as to size up the various options and decide on the most appropriate.

I've recently found a dealer in Milan that offers a full package: http://www.photoactivity.com/public/comersus6f/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=296.
Unfortunately, the ink set is not a Piezography one, but a MIS derivative: http://www.photoactivity.com/public/comersus6f/Dettagli/Inks/Help.html .

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 05:29:44 am »

Examined the Piezography samples, I'm still unsure.
The split-tone printing process really intrigues me, but I suspect that it could be more difficult to manage.
As a Piezographt newbie, what ink set would you recommend me to try first: Neutral, Warm Neutral or Special Edition?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:00:31 am by Roberto Frieri »

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:35:19 am »

Finally I’ve converted my R2880 to Piezography (warm tone inks),  installed the Quad2880-K7 and made some test prints using the Epson Enhanced Matte paper.
Any advice will be obviously welcome.
I'm a bit worried about the ink usage: I've printed only 15 images (A4 format with margin), and five cartridges are almost empty!?
Pages: [1]   Go Up