Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: photokina 2014  (Read 9370 times)

david distefano

photokina 2014
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »

with pentax and hasselblad already introducing their "budget" mfdback/camera and nikon and other full frame dslr companies introducing or having their new products already leaked to the press, what, if any surprises in the medium format world are there, for the upcoming photokina, which is less than a month away.

Ken R

Re: photokina 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »

with pentax and hasselblad already introducing their "budget" mfdback/camera and nikon and other full frame dslr companies introducing or having their new products already leaked to the press, what, if any surprises in the medium format world are there, for the upcoming photokina, which is less than a month away.

Best case scenario:

PhaseOne finally introduces a new Medium Format SLR AF body to finally put to rest the Mamiya 645 based body, fully functional and ready to ship. (which is not horrible but the IQ backs deserve something better, so do the lenses :D)

Leica introduces a new version of the Leica S with the 50 mp Sony sensor and improved features (high quality live view!), speed etc, again, fully functional and ready to ship. Also they will have on hand the 100mm f2 lens for the Leica S.

Hasselblad incorporates Live View via firmware into their 50c backs / cameras. Lowers prices across the board.

Canon introduces a new full frame DSLR (5D sized body but 1D class build and feel) with a new sensor with Nikon D810 rivalling dynamic range, resolution and great high iso performance and speed.

Likely Scenario:

PhaseOne shows a prototype of a new MF SLR or a ready to ship worked over DF++.

Leica just has the 100mm f2 lens on hand and maybe a new Leica S (50mp cmos) but without live view.

Hasselblad has just what they have now.

Canon introduces a worked over APS-C camera (7D (II) maybe?) with a slightly improved sensor (no where near the DR of the sony/nikon sensor) with great video and a few printers.

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:30:45 am »

Well the multi shot 50mp CMOS Hassleblad has been announced early. I guess it's a big thing if you are a Hassleblad dealer  ::)

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:40:47 am »

Best case scenario:

PhaseOne finally introduces a new Medium Format SLR AF body to finally put to rest the Mamiya 645 based body, fully functional and ready to ship. (which is not horrible but the IQ backs deserve something better, so do the lenses :D)

Leica introduces a new version of the Leica S with the 50 mp Sony sensor and improved features (high quality live view!), speed etc, again, fully functional and ready to ship. Also they will have on hand the 100mm f2 lens for the Leica S.

Hasselblad incorporates Live View via firmware into their 50c backs / cameras. Lowers prices across the board.

Canon introduces a new full frame DSLR (5D sized body but 1D class build and feel) with a new sensor with Nikon D810 rivalling dynamic range, resolution and great high iso performance and speed.

Likely Scenario:

PhaseOne shows a prototype of a new MF SLR or a ready to ship worked over DF++.

Leica just has the 100mm f2 lens on hand and maybe a new Leica S (50mp cmos) but without live view.

Hasselblad has just what they have now.

Canon introduces a worked over APS-C camera (7D (II) maybe?) with a slightly improved sensor (no where near the DR of the sony/nikon sensor) with great video and a few printers.

Since I have some form of product in every brand mentioned except Hasselblad I'd personally like to see.

Leica introduce the cmos sensor camera with a form of cropped video (well implemeted) and cough, choke, under the $25,000 mark, somewhere at $15k or less.  (probably won't happen) . . . and or an autofocus M series with excellent video. I think for Leica to increase the S series sales they're going to have to get to a lower price point.

Sony a full frame professional body with excellent in camera 4k video that auto crops to aps c and will allow track focus in stills and video . . .  

though the one brand that will get my cash tomorrow would be a 7d with 70d type of sensor (autofocus video) and full functionality like hdmi out without knocking out the on camera screen.  mini xlr inputs for sound and better highlight recovery.

Adobe with video lightroom with autotrackin and layers, batch processing and full xml support.

Blackmagic slightly  slightly larger than the pocket with a super 35mm sensor, ef lens mount and excellent track focus and a still fuction because the black magic produces the sharpest of all video cameras.

All cameras listed with olympus grade image stabilization in camera and great preamp for sound.

Oh yes . . . and every camera a better, standard lithium battery.

Oh yes 2.  Apple either sell or develop 64 bit, 4k capable fcp8.   

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:56:04 am by bcooter »

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:19:20 am »

Canon - slightly overdue replacement for 1DsIII.
Nikon  - 135 f2 lens.
Peace on earth.  ;)

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:45 am »

Nikon  - 135 f2 lens.

Nikon already has a 135mm f/2 DC Nikkor, has been in production since 1990... Great lens, by the way...

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:20:40 am »

My guess and it is a guess.

Nikon D750 as we have seen the rumors already. Maybe just maybe some updated PC lenses

Sony should be big A99II , 36mpx FF sensor with the same new AF that's in the new A77II which I have and the AF is outstanding and frankly I think the best in the business right now.
FE lenses 16-35, 85 1.8 and 24 f2
ZA lenses a new 35 1.4, new 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 with SSM focusing
Be nice to see a updated A7r version II with EFC

Canon I'm not counting on much but maybe a new APS body.

Phase the new body finally is introduced and new software

Leica S new CMOS sensor body with video

Hassy maybe a  A7r type thingy. Cost probably don't want to even know it. LOL
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

torger

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:43 am »

I hope pretty much nothing new is presented.

I'm quite happy with what I got, and I hope nothing new comes that makes me desire an upgrade I don't really need. This means that for me worst case is if Canon would actually show up with a high res DSLR with Sony class base ISO ;)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:10 am »

I hope pretty much nothing new is presented.

I'm quite happy with what I got, and I hope nothing new comes that makes me desire an upgrade I don't really need. This means that for me worst case is if Canon would actually show up with a high res DSLR with Sony class base ISO ;)

+1 :)

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

stevenf

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:43:06 am »

How about an update to the Canon ipf8400?

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com

Ken R

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:42 am »

Wow, Leica just announced the M-P digital. That was unexpected. Supposedly it has a new 24mp sensor. Well see.

Ken R

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:10:41 pm »

New sensor or new name?

Dunno. This is what leica wrote:

"Exceptional image sharpness and the finest rendition of details. The Leica M-P is equipped with a 24 megapixel, high-resolution, full-frame (24x36 mm), CMOS sensor – the Leica MAX 24 MP. In combination with the high-performance Leica Maestro image processor, this ensures outstanding pictures with every exposure. A further benefit is extremely low image noise – a factor that makes the Leica M-P ideal for available light photography."

david distefano

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:49:01 pm »

steve and/or doug, there must be something that you could tell to wet the whistle. maybe a "budget" back to compete with hasselblad and pentax?

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »

steve and/or doug, there must be something that you could tell to wet the whistle. maybe a "budget" back to compete with hasselblad and pentax?

I don't see Hasselblad as "budget". I think Pentax is too low budget to attract Phase One (at this point in time anyway), but most of the Pentax damage I think will come from users who would never buy in the Phase One premium price range anyway.

At any rate - Hasselblad has already seemed to pre-announce.

Phase One/Leaf have kept a very low profile for pre-Photokina in recent years.

At this point, I can honestly tell you that I don't know if Phase One will announce a new camera or not (I do not expect any digital back announcements from Phase One). It is my hope that Phase One does announce a brand new camera - even if it is further out from delivery than they are accustomed to - because I feel users need a signal to determine their direction. In many cases digital backs and cameras are linked together in terms of purchasing time frame because when bundled there's a significant price advantage vs buying a stand alone camera later on.

I'm looking forward to news from Alpa, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Schneider & Rodenstock! There are some great digital back sensors and models available today, let's see some new and improved toys for enhancing their usability.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

david distefano

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »

quote author=Steve Hendrix link=topic=92751.msg754920#msg754920 date=1408655845]

I don't see Hasselblad as "budget".
Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
[/quote]   

the quotes around budget signified a little tongue in cheek. it is the lowest priced mfdb with the cmos sensor that can attach to a tech camera i believe, hence the word budget. you can buy about 4 nikon d810's for the price of the cfv-50c so budget is a relative term. with  camera sales as a whole in the doldrums what exciting things do people think would reignite sales in either mf or ff.

MrSmith

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 06:11:32 pm »

There were some wristwatches released recently that had a piece of the wright brothers first aeroplane embedded in the watch, it would be great for some special edition hasselblads or leicas with bits of moon dust,  military dictators uniforms, Marilyn Monroes brassiere, Ansel Adams wooden tripod etc etc somehow incorporated into the camera.

That and a new canon 45 TS-e   

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »

what exciting things do people think would reignite sales in either mf or ff.

"Reignite?"

Sales for Phase One are up year over year, for every year since the 2008 recession.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:04:00 pm by Doug Peterson »

Theodoros

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »

quote author=Steve Hendrix link=topic=92751.msg754920#msg754920 date=1408655845]

I don't see Hasselblad as "budget".
Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

the quotes around budget signified a little tongue in cheek. it is the lowest priced mfdb with the cmos sensor that can attach to a tech camera i believe, hence the word budget. you can buy about 4 nikon d810's for the price of the cfv-50c so budget is a relative term. with  camera sales as a whole in the doldrums what exciting things do people think would reignite sales in either mf or ff.

Additionally to the (IMO correct) above... I believe that the real "star" for pros (and more) in photokina will be the Cambo Actus... This "jem" accompanied by Sony A7/R/S, will give to many pros (and more) the ability to work around expensive solutions that would include MFDBs and view camera with digital lenses, yet retaining the vast majority of the creativity and perhaps even improve on productivity. It may be cruel, but I expect some serious further decline in MFDB sales because of it and perhaps prices to be forced down to more "sensible" levels.

Especially if 35mm lenses of wider image circle (like the Samyang 24mm f3.5 P/C or the old 28&35 P/C Nikkors) prove to provide "real" WA solutions (just a thought-it remains to be tested), I expect to hear many "what the Hey" by users of Hi-end equipment...

I also expect the Actus to have a much wider appeal to imaging than many (even the more optimistic ones) consider... I expect the Actus to be really successful among serious videographers and filmmakers...  8)

Ken R

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 07:21:33 pm »

Additionally to the (IMO correct) above... I believe that the real "star" for pros (and more) in photokina will be the Cambo Actus... This "jem" accompanied by Sony A7/R/S, will give to many pros (and more) the ability to work around expensive solutions that would include MFDBs and view camera with digital lenses, yet retaining the vast majority of the creativity and perhaps even improve on productivity. It may be cruel, but I expect some serious further decline in MFDB sales because of it and perhaps prices to be forced down to more "sensible" levels.

Especially if 35mm lenses of wider image circle (like the Samyang 24mm f3.5 P/C or the old 28&35 P/C Nikkors) prove to provide "real" WA solutions (just a thought-it remains to be tested), I expect to hear many "what the Hey" by users of Hi-end equipment...

I also expect the Actus to have a much wider appeal to imaging than many (even the more optimistic ones) consider... I expect the Actus to be really successful among serious videographers and filmmakers...  8)

Its great to have options. But for the few of us who want / need a robust tethering (or wifi) solution for client supervised work the choices are limited to basically PhaseOne and Hasselblad. Combined with CaptureOne and Capture Pilot the IQ backs are just the best in the business for tethered and client supervised work. Hasselblad would be second and a distant third would be Leica. The Cable for the Leica S/S2 is very very nice but the software is not there in the same league as C1pro/C-pilot.

For those of you who work mostly by yourselves then those things matter MUCH less and you can assemble up a frankencamera and as long as you produce the results no one would care if the workflow is not as smooth or fast and everything takes a bit more work. No one would see that! Most of us work with limited budgets so we make do with what we can afford even so there are more options today than ever which is awesome. A lot of people though that MF Digital was going to die but I see it thriving. Hopefully there are some more exciting new MF digital products released this coming Photokina to build on an already extensive offering.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 07:42:12 pm »

I'd like a 6mp FF affordable back for my SWC...$2500 - $3000 range.

A Leica knockoff from a Japanese maker 24mp to 28mp would be fine for $3000.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up