Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Lens  (Read 1772 times)

Colorado David

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Lens
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:28 am »

I'm pretty close to ordering this lens.  Any comments from users before I do?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Lens
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:44 am »

It's a phenomenal lens that optically is beyond anything Canon or Nikon has to offer at 50mm. It's sharp and contrasty wide open and sharp everywhere. There appears to be very little if any field curvature and virtually no distortion. The auto focus is not a lightning fast and snappy as my fastest Canon lenses, but it's not horrible either. It's built like a tank and is heavy and large. Image quality if just great.

Now for the bad. The copy I bought from Samy's - and it was their only copy four months ago - simply would not focus accurately with anything but the center AF point on a 5D3. Since I couldn't swap it out, I sent it to Sigma, and to their credit, they acknowledged that my lens did indeed have a focusing problem. The bigger problem is that Sigma Japan had not written the software yet to address this, so after me being very patient and calling them every few weeks, they finally gave up and sent me a brand new lens that works great.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 04:36:33 pm »

First of all, if you plan to buy a Canon copy, good luck finding one in stock. I've contemplated making a switch myself, to replace my Canon 50/1.2, which I have to say, is pretty much of a dog. Shameful to say, considering the cost. Canon has adjusted it multiple times, but I ind even at 5.6, it's not the sharpest lens around. Anything wider than that and it's crap. Truly a shame when you're paying for the speed. All that said, lenrentals.com has made some comments regarding the lens, which is that there are issue with the docking/calibration unit:

"Warning: We have had multiple issues with the electronics of the lens locking up after using the Sigma USB Dock and latest firmware. If you rent this lens with the dock, or want to use your own dock, please make sure you have the latest version of the Sigma Optimization Pro software installed. Older versions may cause the lens to lock up."

Take it for whatever it's worth. I'm still interested enough in dumping my 50/1.2, but will have to wait. No choice anyway. Most reputable stores have are saying 2-6 month back order. Pretty broad timeframe.

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:01:54 pm »

Get their USB AF tuning dock too.  About $60.

I have their 35mm ART and it took a bizarre tuning of the AF over the four distance ranges in their software with a Nikon body.  Close distance was a -14 and got better to infinity at -2.  Worst part is it acts different on the second body and totally different numbers.

Sigma actually did a smart marketing move by making the lens cheaper, but allowing the owner to tune it themselves rather than sending it in to their techs as a warranty matter.  Owner can spend a week playing with it and fine tuning to no end.  Doubt if a Sigma tech is allowed that much play time, and whatever he gets as tolerance is "Good enough.  Ship it back."  Push the warranty matter out as an "Owner fixable thing for $60."  Smart.

Nikon needs to do the same thing as their stuff is off too, and the downtime to hopefully get it fixed right after being sent off for 3 weeks is another matter.

SG

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM  A (A for  Art, it is Sigma's designation for their best lenses) lens is terrific. Very sharp and excellently corrected for optical distortions, chromatic aberrations, and flare even shooting directly into the sun. .  It takes 77mm filters. It also feels very solidly built and consequently is larger and heavier that other 50mm f/1.4 lenses with the possible exception of the Zeiss OTUS which I haven't used or handled. I was extremely impressed with it.

If you'll just be using it with one body I second the recommendation of the Sigma Dock.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:19:46 pm by Ellis Vener »

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:27:03 am »

Thank you all for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up