Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Uwe Steinmueller Tribute  (Read 5714 times)

ned

Uwe Steinmueller Tribute
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:43:50 pm »

Saddened by this news. I've always enjoyed his site and work. One of my bookmarks that I refer to often. Condolences to his family and friends.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Uwe Steinmueller Tribute
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:28 pm »

Yes, what a shame.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »

Very shocked and saddened to hear this news. Uwe & Bettina's website was always a great resource and taught me a lot in my formative photographic years, alongside LuLa. My condolences for this terrible and premature loss to Bettina and their family.
--
David Mantripp

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:09:59 pm »

Thank you, Alain for your words in memory for your friend. I used to visit Uwe's site quite often during a certain period of my digital career and found him very helpful. He was an asset to the photographic community and will be missed.

Righteye

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »

Very Sad news indeed
His web site was a great resource to me in the past and i enjoyed reading his reviews of camera equipment and software etc and looking at his images (i found his slightly strange English quite endearing)
He will be missed by many i'm sure in the photography world but for his friends and family this must be an immeasurable loss and i would like to express my condolences to his family and friends.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:34:45 pm by Righteye »

john4jack

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:20 pm »

This news knocked the breath out of me!  What a terrible loss.  He was always so kind to me, and so graciously answered all of my questions.  His was the first texture script that I ever used.  His books are marvelous.  Such a dear person.  Thank you for your tribute, Alain.

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »

I had a number of fun & informative e-mail exchanges with Uwe in the mid 2000s, mainly about RAW conversion stuff and various monochrome toning recipes. He once threw me a photo trip invite too, but I was tied up with a work project and couldn't go.   :-[  He died too young.

-Dave-

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »

Sad to hear Uwe passed away. He was a great guy.

Erik
Erik Kaffehr

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »

I'll miss you Uwe :(
Paolo

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:01 pm »

Uwe's website was a great help when I was starting out in digital, and I learned a lot from him. Greatly missed.
David

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:05 pm »

Uwe's site was recommended to me early on as a must go to resource.  I always liked his HDR work of I believe Alcatraz - it was always imprinted in my mind of what I might achieve using HDR.  Condolences to his family and wife. 

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:26 pm »

Reading Alain's words here today came as a complete shock. I was just talking to a colleague this afternoon about some printing topics, and made reference to Uwe and DOP. When I got home I decided to check in with DOP and see what was new, but Alain's article came to my attention first. I'm stunned and saddened. My heartfelt condolences to Bettina and the family, and everyone who knew him well as a friend and colleague.

As others have said, Uwe was an online pioneer in evaluating, writing about, instructing and applying digital photography in creating the best work one could... creating art. He was passionate, generous, helpful and open with just about anyone. The resources shared at DOP and through his books were instrumental to me at an earlier stage of my photographic development. Like so many others, I had some informative and fun conversations with Uwe on Skype a few years ago. Most busy personalities in the public eye might put the barrier of email between themselves and correspondents, but it always seemed to me that Uwe really liked actually meeting and talking with people.

He was a great original, and his passing is a tremendous loss.

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:42 pm »

I just added a tribute from Tony Sweet.  If you already read the essay it is in section 11 so you can scroll directly to it.  Tony worked with Uwe and I.

Thank you to everyone for posting your experience with Uwe here.

Alain Briot
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:55:58 am »

Very sad to hear this.

Regards,
Bernard

adias

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 01:37:56 am »

Uwe was a friend and it was a shock learning about his passing. He was a no nonsense individual, laser-focused on leading edge digital darkroom techniques, such as sharpening, texture blending and HDR. He was an artist with a vision. May he rest in peace!

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 07:01:30 am »

Such sad news, it seems like just yesterday I was eagerly awaiting the next installment of the 7600 diary. I had the good fortune to meet Uwe at PhotoPlus some years back and found him to be a real gentleman in all respects. Condolences to his family.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

laughingbear

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 07:24:38 am »

Thanks for emphasising his amazing body of work in your tribute Alain. I had a few conversations with Uwe myself on photogaphy and business. Great guy! It certainly is a great loss for the entire photographic community. What a sudden and tragic loss in deed.

My deepest and heartfelt condolences to his wife Bettina.

pax tecum
Georg R. Baumann

wtlloyd

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:45 am »

Very sad and unexpected news. I haven't closely followed DOP in recent years, and was unaware he and Bettina had left California.
He seemed the perfect counterpart to Alain as an instructor in the Fine Art Summits I attended. A very quick mind, he excelled at clearly explaining technical information. As he was also personally warm,  and equally as passionate about photography as Alain, it made for a great learning experience.
I have a few of his books and recommend them highly.

stevesanacore

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 05:57:46 pm »

Very sad news. His website was one of the first along with this one that I went to often for advice and inspiration. His work and thoughts will be missed. My condolences to his family and close friends.
We don't know what we don't know.

Dominik Wandel

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 03:46:33 am »

Very sad about this bad news. Uwe`s "Earthframes" and the resulting personal contact were some of the reasons that got me into photography. My best wishes and thoughts for him and his wife. Thank you, Uwe !

Dominik Wandel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up