Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get an original shot  (Read 4477 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
How to get an original shot
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:04 pm »

http://www.bing.com

Edited to add: screengrab attached.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:55:01 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: How to get an original shot
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:49:12 pm »

There's a fine poster of Zabriskie Point in the same vein.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:34 pm »

There's a fine poster of Zabriskie Point in the same vein.

Yes, I think there's one at the reception desk at Furnace Creek Ranch.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:44 am »

A couple of years ago I took a similar one of a mob of "photographers" lined up at Tunnel View in Yosemite. What they seemed to be missing was that the great photographs they were trying to emulate from that viewpoint often had far more to do with weather conditions than the actual landscape. What was even worse was that, amongst the 60 or so photographers lined up, there appeared to be at least two "organised" groups who were being ripped off by some unscrupulous photo-tour guides. I guess that where there are fools with too much money, there will always be someone willing to exploit their weaknesses.

What will the next step be? GPS co-ordinates for well-worn tripod holes?
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:24 am »

As-long-as they have their fun and others have their fun mocking them.

As-far-as we know they may each be making their own wonderful wildlife pictures.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:28:54 pm by Isaac »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »

A couple of years ago I took a similar one of a mob of "photographers" lined up at Tunnel View in Yosemite. What they seemed to be missing was that the great photographs they were trying to emulate from that viewpoint often had far more to do with weather conditions than the actual landscape. What was even worse was that, amongst the 60 or so photographers lined up, there appeared to be at least two "organised" groups who were being ripped off by some unscrupulous photo-tour guides. I guess that where there are fools with too much money, there will always be someone willing to exploit their weaknesses.

For these guys neither the view nor the weather conditions matter. It's all about equipment. I've probably posted this story before, but since I'm an old guy I'll post it again:

On a weekend back in the sixties I took my family to one of the small towns in Colorado for an outing and to participate in a photo show. My third son, who was still in grade school, brought along a well-composed shot of a rock formation in a small canyon he'd made with his box camera and that we'd printed in my darkroom. When he won a prize, one of the contestants became very irate that HE hadn't won anything, while this kid with a box camera had. After all, he explained, he had the very latest and most expensive equipment it was possible to buy, so his work had to be better than work that came out of a box camera. I started cracking up and I was afraid he was going to try to deck me, but the guy in charge of the show stepped in and calmed things down. I was laughing all the way home.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

For these guys neither the view nor the weather conditions matter. It's all about equipment. I've probably posted this story before, but since I'm an old guy I'll post it again:

On a weekend back in the sixties I took my family to one of the small towns in Colorado for an outing and to participate in a photo show. My third son, who was still in grade school, brought along a well-composed shot of a rock formation in a small canyon he'd made with his box camera and that we'd printed in my darkroom. When he won a prize, one of the contestants became very irate that HE hadn't won anything, while this kid with a box camera had. After all, he explained, he had the very latest and most expensive equipment it was possible to buy, so his work had to be better than work that came out of a box camera. I started cracking up and I was afraid he was going to try to deck me, but the guy in charge of the show stepped in and calmed things down. I was laughing all the way home.

Odd things are still happening in that vein: A few weeks ago I visited the photo contest section of a county fair. There were dozens of competition categories from landscapes to portraiture with many, many sub-categories. Hundreds of photo entries were displayed on bulletin boards with the required dozens of award ribbons in each sub-category. Regardless of the definition of the subcategory, at least 20% of the entries featured a dog, a cat, or a selfie...and most of the ribbons were awarded to them. ?? The worse category in terms of Crimes Against Photography was in the Digital Manipulation category where each entry must have had at least a dozen effects applied --  with the winner having three dozen applied effects to its credit. At that point I was longing to see a "box camera" category. The most boring photographs were in the adult divisions and the most interesting were in the grade school divisions. Perhaps there is some hope for photography's future after all.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:13:14 pm »

I'll tell ya, Lou, when I go to the Orlando Museum I always walk down the hallway that has art on the walls from kids in grade school. Usually I see a lot more original stuff in that hallway than I see in the rest of the museum.

Trouble is, kids get that kind of originality trained out of 'em as they grow up, and unfortunately our new world of Facebook, iPads, etc., etc., seems to hasten the process.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:22:28 pm »

I'll tell ya, Lou, when I go to the Orlando Museum I always walk down the hallway that has art on the walls from kids in grade school. Usually I see a lot more original stuff in that hallway than I see in the rest of the museum.

Trouble is, kids get that kind of originality trained out of 'em as they grow up, and unfortunately our new world of Facebook, iPads, etc., etc., seems to hasten the process.

Kids shoot what interests them the way they see it. Older folks shoot what is supposed to be "good" according to others. It would be better for the young to de-teach the old.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:13:46 pm »

Once again it comes down to the old saying: "What a great photo! You must have a wonderful (box) camera!"
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 06:53:07 am »

Once again it comes down to the old saying: "What a great photo! You must have a wonderful (box) camera!"

....but imagine going to a dinner party and telling your host/hostess, "That was a wonderful meal. You must have a great set of pots and pans."

stamper

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:35:55 am »

It is rather Ironic that the thread is about originality and the last two comments are anything other than original?  ::)

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »

It is rather Ironic that the thread is about originality and the last two comments are anything other than original?  ::)

So, you don't appreciate irony, Stamper?

:-*

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:13 am »

On the same lines I've just got back from a bike trip to France where I was honoured to have a midday meal with a gentleman of that country who could probably be best described as leading the peasant way of life. This was not some fancy life style choice but the way he has always lived, from his garden and surrounding woods in a remarkably genuine manner. He was a magnificent figure with such character in his face that I was itching to capture it but the D3 was simply not equal to the task, it needed something like a box camera to do him justice, it needed the grain and purity of film to portray his connection to the rural world from which he had emerged and will, no doubt, return. I've never been a fan of digital for true portraits and this occasion simply confirmed my thoughts. The Nikon never made it out of the bag.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:50:35 am by Justinr »

stamper

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:41 am »

Would it not have been better to take an "inferior" image than none at all?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 10:00:26 am »

Would it not have been better to take an "inferior" image than none at all?

No, not really. I guess it was a question of respect, pride and dignity, besides which I would never have been happy with the result.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 10:12:18 am »

On the same lines I've just got back from a bike trip to France where I was honoured to have a midday meal with a gentleman of that country who could probably be best described as leading the peasant way of life. This was not some fancy life style choice but the way he has always lived, from his garden and surrounding woods in a remarkably genuine manner. He was a magnificent figure with such character in his face that I was itching to capture it but the D3 was simply not equal to the task, it needed something like a box camera to do him justice, it needed the grain and purity of film to portray his connection to the rural world from which he had emerged and will, no doubt, return. I've never been a fan of digital for true portraits and this occasion simply confirmed my thoughts. The Nikon never made it out of the bag.
A quote worthy of being in Private Eye's 'Pseud's Corner'
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 10:15:37 am »

A pet hate of mine is when working and have taken time to find a different/interesting angle, other photographers then start to gather around me. Or take photos over my shoulder of my subjects.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Sheldon N

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:23:03 am »

Something in a similar vein from a few years ago. :)

Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

stamper

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:30:48 am »

A very nice image. Unusual.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up