Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piezography Paper Suggestion  (Read 1721 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Piezography Paper Suggestion
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:34 am »

Hi

I am using the K7 Selenium inkset and I use Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique, which has a warm tone. I am looking for a similar baryta-type paper that is more white.

I am initially selected Hahnemuhle Baryta FB, but it has a pretty string magenta cast. I have just tried Hahnemule Fine Art Baryta but it seems a bit "gray".

Does anyone have a suggestion? I have someone in New York for the next day or two and would like them to pick up a few boxes, so I need to be quick!

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Piezography Paper Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:51 am »

There are some brighter than Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta but not whiter. Your Baryta FB is on the extreme of that approach. As that combination means more OBAs I would not go that route, the OBA effect disappears and other whitening agents are not aboard to keep some level of white reflection.

I can not put the "grey" in place for the Fine Art Baryta, is that not more a question of B&W profiling?

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

William Walker

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:09:42 pm »

Hi Ernst

Thanks for the reply - it might very well be the profiling, I did not use the same file either so I am not really comparing apples with apples. I will do further tests.

Ek groet jou ook!

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:30 pm »

So I guess you are using the K7 with Gloss Optimizer ink set

Canson Platine Fibre Rag is the most beautiful paper with K7 Warmtone GO set
You can't really tell the difference between it and Ilford Warmtone Darkroom print
It is just as beautiful as I describe

Hope you will like it.

Aaron

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:27 pm »

Hi Aaron, I'm curious of you have experience with the second pass GO process with a large printer, and if there are handling issues at big print sizes with a 2 pass process. I agree that ink set is gorgeous.
Tyler

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »

I'm using the Canson Plantine paper with the K7 Selenium in one 3880 and it is nice stuff.  Not a super bright white, more of a warm tone, but it does look nice.

I've tried multiple passes of the GO.  What it does is fill in the texture of the paper's surface.  One is often enough.  I've tried 3-4 passes of GO and it smooths it out too much in my opinion, even with lower levels of say 20,000 instead of the normal 30,000 in QTR.  Plus, it gets very expensive to use the stuff up so soon as you do use a lot of it in a single pass verses several other tanks of ink mixed for a single pass on one print.  I had to buy it in the larger bottles too since I wasted too much playing with it.  Nice stuff though.

SG

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:57 pm »

I've used the GO process a lot with desktop model Epsons, also a 24" 7800. But am mostly curious about any handling very large prints, say 44" from roll by 6 ft or so, back through the printer for the second pass.

William Walker

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:36:29 am »

Thanks for the replies!

Aaron - I had a sample of the Canson and found it to be a little too warm - I am using the Canson for the warmer look. I really wanted something "bright white", I'll keep looking...:)

Sorry Tyler - I have no experience regarding your question...

Thanks again
William

aaronchan

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:06:51 am »

I've used the GO process a lot with desktop model Epsons, also a 24" 7800. But am mostly curious about any handling very large prints, say 44" from roll by 6 ft or so, back through the printer for the second pass.

What I usually do is I print with a bigger margin in front and back, after the K7 print is finished, I wait for an hour to let the ink stabilize a bit more, then I use masking tape to tape one side on an empty core and start to roll it up. Put it back on to the printer and load the print in it as how we load a roll paper in, but instead of choosing roll paper, we still set it as sheet paper. Then just hit print on QTR to do the second pass. Once the roll is almost done, make sure the untape the end of it, otherwise you might end up ruining your print.

Thanks for the replies!

Aaron - I had a sample of the Canson and found it to be a little too warm - I am using the Canson for the warmer look. I really wanted something "bright white", I'll keep looking...:)

Sorry Tyler - I have no experience regarding your question...

Thanks again
William

Another option would be Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta. I love this paper really much as well. Bight white with nice surface.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »

My paper of choice, and my client's, for a non warm photo surface, was always Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. After using it extensively for an artist who consistently had large smooth areas of light color, and also large clear white margins, we could no longer deal with the flecks in the paper, despite generous help from Hahnemuhle for years. Finally we switched to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl, and can not see the difference. Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta, being cotton, feels softer to handle, but visually the prints are nearly identical. I would still recommend Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta for prints with a lot of detail, ink density, with no need for clear margins, it's beautiful paper. These papers measured close to neutral, I would not call them cool, except by comparison to the warmish papers, of which there are many excellent choices already mentioned in the thread. To get cooler I think you have to go to papers with OBAs. The only brightened photo surface paper I have seen a lot of with the Cone + GO system is Epson Exhibition Fiber, and the Innova equivalent. The WN set looks very much like untoned chlorobromide paper, a bit olive, and the selenium set looks nearly indistiguishable from a toned bromide print. The GO pass marries the ink to the surface in a unique way. I worked for months on a single pass version for convenience, but double pass was the answer. I think the HP performance bears that out.
Back to the topic, I think you're going to need a paper with OBAs if something like Photo Rag Pearl is still not cool enough for you. The Epson works well, Harman gloss still exhibited some chromatic reflections, as did Pictorico GEKKO Green.

William Walker

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:58 am »

A belated thanks Tyler - I will explore all your suggestions!

Thanks again
William
Pages: [1]   Go Up