Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturation and contrast to get the best out of matte papers  (Read 1369 times)

The View

Saturation and contrast to get the best out of matte papers
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:19:32 am »

I've been experimenting with matte paper a lot lately, notably the Moab Lasal paper - which is the only choice for drilled and scored paper for the Lost Luggage Ice 9 portfolio.

First I was quite conservative in saturation and contrast - coming from editing mostly for the web.

But I noticed I had to really up saturation to get good results. I'm still not sure about contrast and only slightly increase it for matte printing.

Oh, and the blacks are quite disappointing - more like dark grays.

What's your best process to print on matte paper?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Re: Saturation and contrast to get the best out of matte papers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:59:58 am »

Additional question: is it necessary to choose "fine art matte paper" from the selection box to get the best print quality (and the printer using matte black)?

Because this selection always gets the printer to use ridiculously large margins of 2 inches (I really hate the way Canon's printers handle paper - you have basically no choice of printing borderless except for two standard sizes).

PS: I'm using the pixma pro 9500 mark II.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:03:42 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Re: Saturation and contrast to get the best out of matte papers
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:10:38 pm »

Thanks, Hugo Wolf.

That link is music in my ear.

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
link won't play
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »

can't get your link to open/play on a windows pc it just opens to a dark page with a wide bar showing the controls but there is no video to see
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

hugowolf

Re: link won't play
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:13 pm »

can't get your link to open/play on a windows pc it just opens to a dark page with a wide bar showing the controls but there is no video to see

I think it is a really slow server, you just need to give it time. If you do a search for the problem, I'm sure you will find other posts describing solutions to it.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up