Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Canon 24-105 changing focal length?  (Read 3327 times)

kevs

Why Canon 24-105 changing focal length?
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »

Has anyone seen this, or maybe I'm going crazy. I have this L lens at 24, and I focus on a few different subject in the studio (just focusing, nothing else), and it seems that the lens goes from 24 to 50. 
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Why Canon 24-105 changing focal length?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:42:02 am »

You have managed to buy the only available sample of the motorized zoom version of this lens! ;)

Not helping, I know.

Cheers,
Bernard

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 05:17:54 am »

Just to be sure I understand your question: Is your lens really zooming to 50 mm field of view, or is the focal length in the exif changing to 50 mm while still at 24 mm field of view.

In case of the former, is the zoom ring turning to the 50 mm setting or remaining in the 24 mm position.

Depending on which scenario happens the cause will probably be different.
pieter, aka pegelli

kevs

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:55 am »

I'm just focusing and yet it's going from 24 up to 50, 60. Puzzled.

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:43:46 am »

This is focus breathing on steroids! (Also not helping, sorry)

chez

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:42:41 am »

The lens is notorious for zoom creep. Maybe that is what is occurring.

francois

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:28:31 am »

The lens is notorious for zoom creep. Maybe that is what is occurring.

If it's zoom creep then I've experienced that on both a friend's 24-105 and my 24-70. I sent my 24-70 in for repair and zoom creep was fixed.
Francois

kevs

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:41:18 pm »

Thanks Chez and Francois!

Zoom creep, never heard of it, ever, wow and on an L lens. (and it's known issue!)

Ok, I'll keep testing and get a repair if needed, not looking forward to that bill, you would think they would have solved something like that by now?

John S C

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:16:24 am »

Had a similar problem with my lens ,I lived with it for a while 'till the lens developed a problem that required a repair. Mentioned the problem to Canon, and the technician who repaired the lens used a slightly thicker lubricant on the mechanism, which cured the problem

Harold Clark

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:49 am »

My 24-105 changes focal length when doing aerials, the pressure of the wind against the lens is all it takes. I now keep a firm grip on the zoom ring when shooting aerials.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:51:40 am »

The 24-105 is not a true zoom Originally the definition of zoom lens required that as focal length changed, focus did not. The 24-105, like a lot of modern "zooms," has an interactive relationship between focus an focal length. If you reframe a shot with the zoom collar, you have to refocus as well, and vice versa. I'm just guessing, but that interactivity between the controls might be what you're seeing.

Incidentally, I used to have a couple of true zooms for 35mm in the film days. I actually liked the "push-pull" zoom controls that were common on those lenses in the 80s, mostly because you could do everything without moving your fingers from one part of the lens to another. But from what I gather, most people did not like them, because there was always a chance you'd change focus as you zoomed. With something lie the 24-105, a push-pull layout would be more useful, if you're trying to do manual focus.

Robert55

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »

IMHO describing parfocal lenses as 'true' zooms is rather quaint and I doubt the quality of being parfocal is part of the original definition of a zoom lens.
But I guess this is not the problem the OP is describing anyway

Glenn NK

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:00:48 pm »

Thanks Chez and Francois!

Zoom creep, never heard of it, ever, wow and on an L lens. (and it's known issue!)

Ok, I'll keep testing and get a repair if needed, not looking forward to that bill, you would think they would have solved something like that by now?

Don't waste your time and money - there is nothing to repair.   Many of them do it, and from what I've read on forums, I think only a small percentage don't.  Mine was creeping from day one eight years ago.

One of the older zooms (100-400) has a zoom creep adjustment - the ease of movement can be adjusted (it's a push/pull zoom).

My EFS 17/55 also creeps a bit.  One learns to hold the zoom ring in the left hand when shooting "uphill or downhill".

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »

The 24-105 is probably my most used (walk around) lens. I must be lucky, I've never seen this but have heard reports of similar from other lens.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »

IMHO describing parfocal lenses as 'true' zooms is rather quaint and I doubt the quality of being parfocal is part of the original definition of a zoom lens.
But I guess this is not the problem the OP is describing anyway

Whatever. "A true zoom lens, also called a parfocal lens, is one that maintains focus when its focal length changes. A lens that loses focus during zooming is more properly called a varifocal lens...Many so-called "zoom" lenses, particularly in the case of fixed lens cameras, are actually varifocal lenses, which gives lens designers more flexibility in optical design trade-offs (focal length range, maximum aperture, size, weight, cost) than true parfocal zoom, and which is practical because of autofocus, and because the camera processor can move the lens to compensate for the change in the position of the focal plane while changing magnification ("zooming"), making operation essentially the same as a true parfocal zoom."

Apparently the first true zoom was patented in 1902.

From Wikipedia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up