Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating the 15' late 2013 retina macbook pro display  (Read 3970 times)

llmercll

Calibrating the 15' late 2013 retina macbook pro display
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to calibrate the screen on my new retina notebook but running into some difficulties.

I bought a spyder 4 pro and i1dsiplay pro to see which one resulted in better colors. I also downloaded the 15' late 2013 retina macbook pro ICC profile from notebookcheck (which was just recently uploaded) in which they used a $1500 calibrator.

I calibrated using the i1 pro and datacolor spyder and generated 2 ICC profiles via the included software, which gave me a grand total of 3 ICC profiles.

The problem is, they are ALL different. The i1display pro is slightly warmer and appears more yellow. the spyder 3 looks slightly magenta red, and the ICC profile from notebookcheck looks a tad blue. They are all similar looking, and the uncritical eye may not tell a difference, but there are slight variations.

Out of all of them, the notebook check ICC profile looks the best to me when looking at white levels and my dock, but I know I shouldn't trust my naked eyes. On the other hand, colors seems to be more vibrant and pleasing to my eye with the i1display pro, but almost to the point where they seem too vibrant.

What should I do? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

D Fosse

Re: Calibrating the 15' late 2013 retina macbook pro display
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:06:24 pm »

There's one inherent limitation here, which is that all of these calibrators adjust the video card in 8 bit color depth. So getting an accurate white point is a bit hit or miss (mostly miss I suspect). And while the MBP display is among the best of laptop displays, it's still a laptop display.

The i1 Display Pro sensor (i1D3) is generally regarded as the most reliable, and the one that shows the least inter-unit variation. But you may still have to tweak the white point to get it where you want. The Spyders are better than their reputation, but still not quite up to the i1 standard. I suspect (but don't know) that the really bad ones are dumped in the low-price "express" edition, so I'd avoid those.

You should also look at how specific colors are rendered, not just the overall color balance. If the primaries aren't read correctly, some colors will be a bit shifted from where they should be.

I've used both these sensors on an Eizo CG246/ColorNavigator, and compared them to the built-in sensor (which apparently is a very high-end Konica/Minolta meter). In the end it was between i1D3 and the internal, and finally I settled on the internal sensor. It ultimately seemed to give the most neutral result, while the i1D3 was just a tad too reddish.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:09:34 pm by D Fosse »

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:07:58 am »

Just to sum all this up, I should stress that you really shouldn't expect too much by way of accuracy from the MBP display.

The fact that sensors give slightly different results is no big deal in itself. Different displays, even high-end ones, will also give slightly different results with the same settings. That's why you always need to fine-tune your targets so that you get a good match to you specific output, in your specific working environment.

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:10:52 pm »

I have the iOne display and feel, for a laptop, it's quite good.

The near blacks on the display are not so good, so I use the measuring instruments in PS to judge them.

I've been too busy to make any prints, but for my motion color grading in the field, I'm quite happy!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up