Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Rock Canyon Continued  (Read 1434 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Red Rock Canyon Continued
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Red Rock Canyon Continued
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:52 pm »

Dramatic rock, reflection and clouds. B&W is very effective. But the foreground "barriers" don't work for me. I'd rather be "led" in than visually barricaded. But if that's what you were after, then you succeeded.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

James Clark

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:43 pm »

I like it.   Some might say there's too much micro contrast in the rocks, but I disagree.   I might ease off the clouds a little though, and maybe allow a little more dark in the shadowed rocks.   That said, on the whole I think it's a well-captured sense of place. 

RSL

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:16:17 am »

Dramatic rock, reflection and clouds. B&W is very effective. But the foreground "barriers" don't work for me. I'd rather be "led" in than visually barricaded. But if that's what you were after, then you succeeded.

Thanks, James. And, Terry, I had a 70-200 on the D800, so I had to back up to get what I got. I don't have a problem with the minor vegetation in the foreground, but I do plan to go back out there with a 24-70. I should add that the near vegetation gives me a sense of position I wouldn't otherwise have, since the water begins below the lower frame of the picture. When I go back with the correct lens I hope I can add at least a glimpse of the near shore.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:39:44 pm by RSL »

RSL

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:56:09 pm »

Two more of the same subject but with a wider lens.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 04:54:06 am »

I like all of them Russ, the first one in particular.

I think Red Rock Canyon has produced some of the best landscapes you have posted.

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:13:06 am »

Red Rock Pond 4 is interesting in that it shows what you were dealing with in the OP. Pretty country.

RSL

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 11:51:01 am »

Thanks, William. And David, Red Rock Canyon is really just an extension of Garden of the Gods. If I climb the hill behind my house and follow the ridge for a couple hundred yards, I'm in the Garden, and I've shot in the Garden off and on for years. But Red Rock was owned by a couple old cowboys who inherited it from their dad, the guy who did the quarrying, and visitors weren't welcome. A couple years ago the city of Colorado Springs bought Red Rock Canyon, so now it's open to the public.

But in the late sixties I was shooting a kids' dance class that met at Colorado College on weekends. The group got invited out to Red Rock Canyon one Saturday and I went along. Here's one picture from that shoot. You can see that rock in the background in the pictures I've been shooting lately. In those days the pond was fronted by a well-kept lawn. Now it's gone wild again.

Since we're going to sell our house and move to Florida for good I'm going to try to capture as much of the Garden and Red Rock as I can before we leave.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »

Hope you find places like Red Rock in Florida that will feed your soul. Good luck with the move, Russ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up