Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo in more than 1 collection?  (Read 3678 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Photo in more than 1 collection?
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:19:09 am »

I have 5 collections that correspond to the 5 portfolios on my web site. I don't want any photo in more than one portfolio, is there any way to identify those photos (if any) that are in > 1 of these collections? I think I could do it with a smart collection, but the rule definitions would be pretty complex.

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
Re: Photo in more than 1 collection?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:45:36 am »

One somewhat dirty method might be to give images within each collection the same label color. With five colors available (actually six since no label is also a color) you can cover your five collections. After doing so for each collection, you can check the collections for 'false' colors, indicating the images appearing in more then one collection.
I am not sure I like this appraoch, since you would have to repeat the check after change in a collection. Also of course it is not applicable if you still need the labels for some other purpose.

Cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg

Adele

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:12:43 am »

How about keywording the images in each portfolio with the respective portfolio name/number - e.g. portfolio 1/portfolio 2, etc. and then creating 5 smart collections each with only one criteria - must have the respective keyword.

Adele 

PeterAit

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:13 am »

I think the label and keyword ideas will work, but they require the extra work of assigning the color or KW and then, if I remove a photo from its portfolio, removing the color or KW.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »

Are the portfolio collections large?

If not, perhaps starting over from scratch and then dragging images only into the collections they belong in?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 01:54:34 pm »

If you right click on a photo in a collection and then hit "Go To Collection" (fourth from the top in the drop-down in loupe view or develop mode, sixth from the top in grid view) it will show you all the collections the photo is in.

So that way you can check that any photo is only in the collection(s) it belongs in.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:07:24 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »

Pieter's spot on with IDing your current images and their locations in collections.
Another solution if avoiding smart collections - have six collections, with say No.6 being the one you put all images into initially Then delete from No. 6 when you place in 1-5.

I think the label and keyword ideas will work, but they require the extra work of assigning the color or KW and then, if I remove a photo from its portfolio, removing the color or KW.
That's the wrong way round to remove things. Use smart collections and remove keyword/label/whatever and it will then vanish from collection.
Adding a keyword and/or colour etc to a file to make it appear in a smart file is possibly the easiest way to get files into organised collections and it doesn't have to be complex. Have the rule: keyword contains 'P1' [or P2 etc] and use that to add images to your smart collection. Maybe have an equivalent of the sixth collection where all images are collected by the rule: keyword contains 'Portfolio' then in that collection of all your portfolio work add the 'P1' or 'P2 etc. That way you can rearrange what goes in what section from one location.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:26:28 am »

Pieter's spot on with IDing your current images and their locations in collections.
Another solution if avoiding smart collections - have six collections, with say No.6 being the one you put all images into initially Then delete from No. 6 when you place in 1-5.
That's the wrong way round to remove things. Use smart collections and remove keyword/label/whatever and it will then vanish from collection.
Adding a keyword and/or colour etc to a file to make it appear in a smart file is possibly the easiest way to get files into organised collections and it doesn't have to be complex. Have the rule: keyword contains 'P1' [or P2 etc] and use that to add images to your smart collection. Maybe have an equivalent of the sixth collection where all images are collected by the rule: keyword contains 'Portfolio' then in that collection of all your portfolio work add the 'P1' or 'P2 etc. That way you can rearrange what goes in what section from one location.

OK, now I get it. Sounds fairly easy, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up