Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape  (Read 744 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Landscape
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Landscape
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »

Minus 200 greens [and 0 yellows] helps the foreground hold together.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:17 pm »

Otherwise, getting the sky to read with the foliage looks odd in color too.

I think you should try something becouse your color version looks to me more like a compositional game than a landscape.  

Sexy though it is.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:21:34 pm by Bruce Cox »

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »

I am engaged by your image Russ. Maybe I am missing your intent but I see the negative space as the subject here - yes there are three maybe five birds - yes there is a small pointed tree which draws attention and the shape of the cloud bank seems to offset the lean to the left of the negative space.

Maybe Cezanne would have been attracted to this motif, if not I certainly am.

Mal

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:44 pm »

Thanks, Mal. It's a shot through the entrance to the main part of Garden of the Gods, facing the mountains to the west. It's an area I really love, and this particular view hung in the back of my mind for a long time before I went out there on a day with clouds just rising over the mountains and made the shot.

And Bruce, I spent a lot of time in Texas during my life, beginning with primary pilot training at Big Spring and later being stationed near Texas City and then Austin. I can appreciate why you don't understand these colors. You're not the only one. "Climbing in the Garden" elicited complaints about the colors too. Believe me, the colors you're seeing are right on the money. Come to Colorado during a rainy year and you'll be amazed at what you see.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »

Thanks, Mal. It's a shot through the entrance to the main part of Garden of the Gods, facing the mountains to the west. It's an area I really love, and this particular view hung in the back of my mind for a long time before I went out there on a day with clouds just rising over the mountains and made the shot.

And Bruce, I spent a lot of time in Texas during my life, beginning with primary pilot training at Big Spring and later being stationed near Texas City and then Austin. I can appreciate why you don't understand these colors. You're not the only one. "Climbing in the Garden" elicited complaints about the colors too. Believe me, the colors you're seeing are right on the money. Come to Colorado during a rainy year and you'll be amazed at what you see.

I did not and do not now doubt the accuracy of your image or the quality, rather I think Mal and I are both saying that it over achieves in composition.  It is too cleaver by half. 

You are likely too familiar with it to see it that way, but to our unbiased eyes, the sky advances in front of the receding ground.  This is not necessarily bad for Cezanne; we just didn't think that was what you had in mind.

Bruce

James Clark

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:42 pm »

I did not and do not now doubt the accuracy of your image or the quality, rather I think Mal and I are both saying that it over achieves in composition.  It is too cleaver by half. 

You are likely too familiar with it to see it that way, but to our unbiased eyes, the sky advances in front of the receding ground.  This is not necessarily bad for Cezanne; we just didn't think that was what you had in mind.

Bruce

I was just going to comment that I'd like to see a little more texture in the red rock, which I think would help with the issues you & Mal are having.
Pages: [1]   Go Up