Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what would you get either Fuji x100s or Fuji X pro+27mm?  (Read 8737 times)

studio347

what would you get either Fuji x100s or Fuji X pro+27mm?
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:04:32 am »

What do you think between these 2 cameras?
I want to have everyday camera with a good image quality. I like the simplicity of x100s, but I lean on to the 27mm(40mm of traditional~)'s view angle. More narrow~
Anything I need to know about?
Thanks in advance!

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Re: what would you get either Fuji x100s or Fuji X pro+27mm?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:30 am »

I would get the X-E2 with the 27 f/2.8, it is a setup I have. Very compact, great image quality, and the flexibility to use other lenses.

studio347

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:38:19 pm »

Ah, there is XE2. Thanks for the infos.
To Fuji experts,
If I goes with XE2+27mm, what would be any disadvantage~ compared with X pro_1 +27mm?

Is the lack of Optical View Finder in XE2, a big disadvantage?

I would shoot at raw and no flash.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:57:16 pm by studio347 »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
what would you get either Fuji x100s or Fuji X pro+27mm?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »

If you want to save $400 or so, get the XE1 instead. Same image quality. Not quite as good for AF but it works fine (same AF as X Pro 1.) I shoot with mine every day.

Having both X Pro and XE 1 bodies, there's not much difference. XE is much smaller, more so than I expected. I do use the optical viewfinder on occasion, but not for critical work. The 27mm fits much better on the XE bodies rather than the X Pro, in my humble opinion.

I very much like my XE1 with the 27 as an everyday carry camera.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

studio347

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:59 pm »

thanks for the infos. I was checking the cameras in a shop today, and realized the xpro's OVP might be great with 35mm, but not so much with other lenses...
I might need to get used to the EVF(electric view finder) after all. I felt that xe2's EVF might be a bit easier to eyes than xpro(xe1)... not so sure.
If my view is close to 23mm, x100s looks the best. But sadly my view seems to be more close to 27mm nowadays. Even not 35mm.
Either I get x100s and adapt my views to 23mm or just getting xe1 or xe2 with 27, and adjust myself to EVF and less sharp 27 than 35.
Thanks.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:07:20 pm »

I would go with the X-E2 or the XT-1, better focus. You can always add the 23mm f1.4 to get the equivalent of the X100s.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

studio347

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:56:28 pm »

curious, is 23mm f1.4 is better than x100s' lens?
It's quite a big lens though. Well, I'm into the light profile for everything and good image quality at the same time~ha. Paradoxical in a way.
I think my main working camera is too big~ sinar 4 by 5... That's why I'm going back to the other extreme. At the same time, I'm with the old tradition for the best tones from old school B&W printing from large negative, training~
thanks for all the good infos.
For now, it's all about compromises, I guess.
Following advices, I might go with well used XE1 + 27mm to try my new system with relatively low budget and go from there.
I think XE2 would be a good option too with better AF/MF and faster RAW file writing. But well used xe1 is about a half price of XE2 and very tempting. I can be more careless with this cheaper camera, which is one of my main goals :)

Not the best view finder(EVF) in my opinion, not best lens, not best AF(fast focus might be not so important for now), not good MF.... but it's small and not expensive, and at the same time, the final raw_tiff files seems to be good enough for this small system....

Either XE1+27mm or XE2+27mm~
Thanks all.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:58:01 pm by studio347 »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:56:23 pm »

You are not imagining things - the EVF on the XE2 is another significant improvement over the XE1 and XP1, especially in low light. They increased the refresh rate and I think it's a higher resolution, too.

So the choice between the XE1 and XE2 comes down to features versus cost, like everything else in life :) Good luck. They are both good little cameras capable of making excellent images.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JV

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:10:45 pm »

curious, is 23mm f1.4 is better than x100s' lens?

The X100s lens is pretty soft and dreamy when shot wide open.  It is by design but I personally did not like it very much.  Otherwise both are excellent lenses.

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:08:40 am »

Part of it is your personal taste in focal length.  I love the compactness of my X-E2 with the 27mm, but the focal length is just a tad too long for me as it turns out compared to the equivalent of a 35mm lens, my go-to non-zoom focal length these days.  That 4mm makes a surprising amount of difference for me.

studio347

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »

yes, I was away from street and everyday shooting for long and doing studio still-life for so long. It might changes my view a bit.
Now I am planning for outside shooting for myself and realized that 23mm is a bit airy or a bit childlike in a way with all the freedom :), which used to be fine with me. I felt that I need a bit more concentration in view like 27mm. And 35mm is too confined with my view, with which I feel jammed in tight space.
Well, not so sure~ since I was not playing with the lens/ views for enough time. I just check it for short time in a shop even though I'm fully aware of my vision since it's my work~
Also, I love the compactness of x100s and at the same time, I don't like the one-piece perfect feel without the flexibility of lens choice, even though I'm not planning to change lenses. Maybe 23 or 35 in the future, if I want~. Maybe this is coming from my large format bias, where I change lenses as I choose~
Well, I like my apple smart phone though... so, it all depends on.. I guess.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:24:27 pm by studio347 »

chez

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:40:42 am »

yes, I was away from street and everyday shooting for long and doing studio still-life for so long. It might changes my view a bit.
Now I am planning for outside shooting for myself and realized that 23mm is a bit airy or a bit childlike in a way with all the freedom :), which used to be fine with me. I felt that I need a bit more concentration in view like 27mm. And 35mm is too confined with my view, with which I feel jammed in tight space.
Well, not so sure~ since I was not playing with the lens/ views for enough time. I just check it for short time in a shop even though I'm fully aware of my vision since it's my work~
Also, I love the compactness of x100s and at the same time, I don't like the one-piece perfect feel without the flexibility of lens choice, even though I'm not planning to change lenses. Maybe 23 or 35 in the future, if I want~. Maybe this is coming from my large format bias, where I change lenses as I choose~
Well, I like my apple smart phone though... so, it all depends on.. I guess.

You can get lens extenders for the X100(s) that can convert the camera to a 28mm f2 or a 55mm f2 lens. Image quality is still excellent with these converters. Makes for a very compact 28, 35, 55mm f2 system.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04:07 am »

I have the XE-1 that I use mostly with the 27mm; I take it mostly as a backup to the XT-1. There are times when I wonder if the optical viewfinder from the X100 would make for a more photographic experience if I can say that. It would save some battery also.

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »

I have owned the xpro1 x100s and currently the XT1. overall the best for performance is the xt1 with much better AF than every other fuji x camera. If you like the 35mm (full frame equivalent) FL then the X100s is a really special camera IMO. It's the perfect balance of build quality, weight and exceptional image quality for such a small portable camera. Also the leaf shutter opens up many creative possibilities since you can sync at just about any shutter speed! The X100s is my everyday carry around camera with the XT1 following whenever I need to change FL. Both are great but if fuji can get a 24pm sensor in to the upcoming XPro2 then this may well be the one to wait for ;-)

Regards
John

studio347

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:41 pm »

as a follow up, I got fuji ex1 and 27mm lens. Both are similar prices as new, if a good research is done. I need to play with it. I might not want to try better bodies for peace of mind.
One good thing about this set up seems to be that I can keep the lens(hopefully) with a new body in the future. But I wonder if 24mp sensor body requires new lenses though... :) Thanks for all the good infos!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:15:26 pm by studio347 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up