Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Zs and adhesive matte vinyl, best choice?  (Read 982 times)

Ernst Dinkla

HP Zs and adhesive matte vinyl, best choice?
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:15:36 am »

Anyone with some experience? Need to be matte, permanent adhesion, indoor use and above all have a good gamut.
I have little experience with media like that.

Edit: On second thought it may include Phototex like materials too as I read that they are easier to apply and hold better in time.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:40:13 am by Ernst Dinkla »

jasdown

Re: HP Zs and adhesive matte vinyl, best choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:29:36 pm »

Hi Ernst,

I would recommend Self-Adhesive Matte Propylene Banner (8 mil) for permanent indoor adhesion plus really good gamut (after profile) on my Z3200. However, it should be cautioned that installation on a wall can be problematic, with lots of pesky trapped air bubbles, unless you're an experienced sign installer with highly developed squeegee skills!

That's why I tend to always use Photo-Tex. I have run probably a dozen rolls of this material on my HP Z. Its gamut is not quite as high as the Adhesive Matte Propylene (fabric versus smooth white plastic), but it goes on -- and off -- with ease on a wall! Photo-Tex came out recently with a version of higher-tack adhesive that is more aggressive (Phototex "Ex"), and another version with a higher white-point (Phototex "OPA"), but I have never used anything but their "standard" aqueous-based material.

For the Photo-Tex I built my best profile around Hahnemhle Textured Fine Art Paper preset. There is already an HP preset for the Self Adhesive Matte Propylene.

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:23:37 pm »

I was under the impression that aqueous pigment ink on Photo Tex had to be coated for abrasion protection and clean-ability. Am I right? (I reserve the right to be wrong.)   - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

jasdown

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:28:50 pm »

I have never used a coating for internal uses (I'm sure it would be advisable for external applications). The prints I've made with my Z3200 on aqueous-based Phototex seem to be every bit as durable as any other output with a matte finish. I contour-cut most of my Phototex with a sign plotter, and the resultant "wall sticker cut-outs" have lasted quite a long time (some of them go back to 2010), with no discernible fading on walls that receive direct sun daily, or scuffing where inquisitive toddler hands can reach and touch!

jferrari

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »

or scuffing where inquisitive toddler hands can reach and touch!

I guess that's what I'd be curious about. What if said toddler got "something" on the mural, can you wash it with, say, warm water and a cloth? Do you know anything about the new product from BC that seems similar to the PhotoTex? Thanks.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up