Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered firewire to thunderbolt for hasselblad  (Read 1653 times)

shaun

Powered firewire to thunderbolt for hasselblad
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:08:39 am »

Hi

My mac book pro has died and needs replacing. Hasselblad advise not to get the apple firewire to thunderbolt convertor as the connection will drop when tethered. Can anyone please recommend a reliable powered convertor. Using with h3d11.

Shaun

Joe Towner

Re: Powered firewire to thunderbolt for hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:47:05 pm »

Studio or field shooting?  The issue is that the TB-FW adapter isn't able to fully power the back, and the back can't be told to pull power from the battery (fixed in the H5D).

Two options are the Belkin Thunderbolt dock, or a powered hub ala https://captureintegration.com/product/fw800-firewire-powered-hub/ with the Apple TB-FW adapter.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

shaun

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »

Hi Joe

Thanks, for field use.

Shaun

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »

Ugh, yea, for field use I might recommend looking for a used 2011 model.  You can add in a SSD and replace the battery, and it's a lot cleaner than a battery pack to a firewire hub.

Or, maybe one of these would do the trick - http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-cfbe-9901-np.html - it strips all power from the FW800 cable, maybe the camera won't be confused as to where to get power.  They've got FW800 power injector cables as well, but they are 4pin to 9pin.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

orc73

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:44:35 pm »

Good to hear that. I shoot tethered regularly with the adapter and did not know or notice any trouble so far. I had to restart my camera once in a shoot to get connected again, but I don't think it's the adapter to blame. There are far more serious problems in hasselblad hard and software :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up