Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My latest artsy (Topaz Adjust)  (Read 6659 times)

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
My latest artsy (Topaz Adjust)
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:57:19 am »

Here's a nice reworking of a scene I shot at Laguna Beach CA, done with Topaz Adjust 5.

I just posted an overview PDF tutorial here.

Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: My latest artsy (Topaz Adjust)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:09 am »

stamper

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:29 am »

+1

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

Maybe try the other way to B&W and some more punch in the sky. I think the picture would be better suited for that.
This reworked version is not very pleasing to my eye.
pieter, aka pegelli

plugsnpixels

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:10:05 pm »

Thanks all. Normally I would advise people to avoid the over-saturated look but IMO it worked well here, since I thought the original image was too monotone. But everyone has their own preference! ;-)

I did also prepare a toned "moonlight" version from Adjust, shown here.

One thing that makes me sad (unrelated to the processing) is that this is a great grabshot of a father and his little daughter during their day at the beach, but they will never see it! I don't know who they are.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:40 pm »

This second attempt is much more pleasing to my eye. The first was a clear reminder if why I do not want Topaz. It may be artsy and it may sell, but, dare I say it, it's not art. But then again, I may be proven wrong years from now when it ends up in MOMA. One never can tell.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

plugsnpixels

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »

To be clear, Adjust does not create those exaggerated colors by default. I purposely pushed them (if you looked down into the tidepool there were starfish and other colorful sea critters and the heightened colors reminded me of them). You have complete control over the results, from total desaturation to an LSD trip... ;-)

Same with details in the image, they can either be soft (simplified) or extreme. Your choice.

PS: Terry, you've got great work on your blog! You obviously get out more than I do! ;-)

plugsnpixels

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

Here's a totally different approach (the "Matthew Brady" look), and my daughter approves. She didn't like the exaggerated color one either ;-).

Done with Exposure and Retrographer.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 04:21:08 am »

I suspect you will soon tire of doing this kind of processing? If not your photography won't won't go anywhere. If you like it that's fine but the feedback from others will mostly negative. :(

plugsnpixels

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:47 am »

Thanks Stamper for your feedback. Tell me more about what you don't like, as others elsewhere have both different and similar opinions. And that's just it, it's very subjective, depending on the viewer.

I do admit I enjoy heavy post-processing, as the raw image bores me (even if it's mine!). If the image looks too much like what my eye sees, I prefer to reinterpret it through software manipulation. Sometimes I'm successful, and other times not (again, it depends on who's viewing). Even though decades ago I used to shoot newspaper photojournalism (with some more casual work as well), I think now I mostly prefer fine art style. And I don't shoot photos for a living (mainly for my website and related materials); I work in IT.

BTW, there is some great street photography in your flickr gallery, as well as scenics/photojournalism. You seem to prefer either natural or slightly toned color or full black-and-white, and both work just fine.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 05:58:15 am »

Thanks for your feedback. Nothing wrong with heavily processing an image. On the odd occasion that I heavily process an image then I keep it to myself because I know there is a limited audience. If you want to post an image then you have to try and second guess what the audience likes. That is difficult. The audience here is picky and have seen a lot of images. ;) :)

chez

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:03 am »

I suspect you will soon tire of doing this kind of processing? If not your photography won't won't go anywhere. If you like it that's fine but the feedback from others will mostly negative. :(

I was at Whistler a few weeks ago and visited a few photo galleries. The one that was full of people was a gallery that exhibited landscape photos that were processed to look like paintings. The other galleries had the standard nice photos, but the one drawing in the people stood out from the crowd by being different.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:07:20 am »

I wonder how many of them were photographers? Impossible to guess, but you get my drift? Usually when you want a critique of an image you ask another photographer or someone who is knowledgeable? The general public..... who can second guess them?

plugsnpixels

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Good point, who is the audience we/I are trying to reach?

Funny, Apple found much more success catering to the average consumer than the professional computer user.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:27 pm »

I was at Whistler a few weeks ago and visited a few photo galleries. The one that was full of people was a gallery that exhibited landscape photos that were processed to look like paintings. The other galleries had the standard nice photos, but the one drawing in the people stood out from the crowd by being different.

Meaning what exactly?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 03:30:39 pm »

Sometimes it is nice to play around and try new things. Fun images. And taken in my backyard. ;D I live withing walking distance of where I think you took this...

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »

Here's a totally different approach (the "Matthew Brady" look), and my daughter approves. She didn't like the exaggerated color one either ;-).

Done with Exposure and Retrographer.

There is definitely commercial value in this, maybe not what we typically see here, but certainly saleable.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

plugsnpixels

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 07:18:43 pm »

Alan, it's on the beach area where this gazebo is. I live out in the 909 so I don't know exactly which one it is ;-).

plugsnpixels

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 07:21:31 pm »

Alright, I tried a new piece and attempted to keep it under control ;-).

The ingredients are similar to the golden example above, Adjust and Exposure. In this case I popped the dull original with Adjust, then ran that result through Exposure (no layer comping).

I do love the old-timey look... Taken in Old Town San Diego.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »

There seem to be some bug in the new Adjust V5 1.0 version. I experienced numerous crashes, mainly when in the Collection view.
They were still working on it last week, so most likely, a new revision will be available shortly.
I would recommend to wait a week or two, and then download or re-download the latest iteration.

Cheers,

Les
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up