Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GF1: still a good buy for 2014?  (Read 5889 times)

DanielStone

Panasonic GF1: still a good buy for 2014?
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:03:48 am »

hey all,

Well I sold my X100s a month ago, and thought that my digital needs(mostly taking pictures of mindless stuff, and stuff for ebay listings, my serious/personal work is still shot all on film)... Anywho, I've realized I'd like to get another small, digital camera. I'm not into bells and whistles, I prefer the "look" of CCD chips, but don't feel like going back to using a c2005 digital camera ;)!

So, doing some basic(well, about 10mins) research, the GF1 is coming up as a "good buy" from a good number of people online.
I like the 3:4 ratio straight out of the camera, so a M4/3 camera is kinda what I'd be after. A G16 isn't capable enough, and if I could use different lenses via adapters, that's cool with me(like using my 55 3.5 AIS Micro Nikkor)

I'm seeing these things on Craigslist locally for ~$100-140 or so, not a huge amount of money, but with a used body, used AF 20/1.7, and a Novoflex Nikon lens adapter, I'm pushing $500 or so in total for this little kit. Not too shabby, but I'd like to keep the price down.
I hardly ever shoot a video, and if I do, I don't need whizbang features like 1080p or crap like that. Regular 480p or 720p max is fine. If it has 1080p, that's cool, but if it can be dumbed-down in-camera to 720p or lower, even better!

thx,
Dan

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Panasonic GF1: still a good buy for 2014?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:34:50 pm »

The GF1 was my first mirrorless camera, and it turned into a large micro 4/3 kit, and then a larger Fuji kit. I shot a lot of photos with that little camera and its 20mm lens, photos that mostly have personal meaning, but still.... One of my favorites and even though it doesn't get used anymore I haven't been able to part with it.

So I guess it depends on what you want -- it's still a great little camera for all kinds of photography. It's small and discreet, the 20mm lens is excellent even at f/2, it'll take pretty much any lens ever made with an adapter. It's not great at high ISO -- I think it's pretty good at ISO 400 and usable at ISO 800, but the Fujis blow it away in that category. If this is just for eBay listings and the like, then it'll be fine.

The other suggestion I would have is the original G1. That has a terrific built in EVF and an LCD that rotates in all directions. Otherwise it's basically the same as the GF1 in terms of image quality. The G1 was my wife's first "serious" camera and she shot many good photos with it, before retiring it for a G5. I think it would be easier to use for the sorts of things you mentioned. Since the G1 didn't get the same glowing reports online, it's probably less expensive. The little zoom that came with it was pretty good, too.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:25 pm »

The GF1 is a pretty solid, little camera. It was my first digital camera that produced raw images and was my introduction to image processing in PS. I quite liked the GF1 but once I bought a Sony RX1, the GF1 never left the house again and I eventually sold it a few months ago.

It's really a low ISO camera and the exposure latitude is a bit narrow, it's pretty easy to over expose the clouds in outdoor pictures. I also found the manual focus a bit frustrating, but that may have more to do with my deteriorating eyesight.
Jay W Page

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:12:43 am »

I had one of these about 4 years ago, with the 20mm lens. Nice, small, and quite capable. Fast forward to today, I would recommend a EM10 with the 17mm f1.8 lens. For sure more expensive, but Olympus is (was?) running some fantastic promotional kits.

For me, the EVF plus IBIS is worth the money.

Geods

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:53 am »

I've owned the GF1 since the beginning.

As I've expanded my m-4/3 system, the was GF1 converted to infrared. While it is only usable with a few m-4/3 lenses, due to IR hotspots, it makes a great monochrome camera. Additionally, it appears the antialiasing filter is removed during the process of conversion because the resolution looks higher than the stock color camera. With stitching, I now get LF-quality infrared images. When I travel with a digital Hasselblad, I'll take a GH3 as its backup and, since I have m-4/3 lenses along, the GF1 for monochrome work. For m-4/3 IR imaging I recommend the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, 20mm f/1.7, and 45-150 f/4-5.6 lenses - lenses that don't produce hotspots...

The GF1 is a great camera and will be useable for years to come.

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:10:47 am »

I had a GF1 which was my first m43 camera. After it was stolen, I bought a G3 on eBay and have used the surviving 20mm f1.7 with it. It’s not just the extra megapixels, but the much-improved dynamic range that makes all the difference. I would not look at a GF1 again. The G3 is under-appreciated, as is the G6 I am going to buy to supplement the G3 (G6 video is excellent).

My 2c.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

DanielStone

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:49:56 pm »

Thanks everyone,
well after doing some more reading/comparing/etc., I think I'm going to save some more shekels and get a GH3. I've got a Novoflex Nikon adapter coming in from ebay, so I can put my Nikon 55/3.5 micro to work right off the bat, as soon as the camera arrives(just waiting for a killer deal to come along on CL/ebay)...

-Dan

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:46:39 am »

I have the GF1, the main drawback it is the noise starts to show up at ISO 400... it was good back them, but now it shows its age comparing to other m4/3 solutions...

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:28 pm »

I've had a GF1 for awhile now, as well as a G2 which was bought for its EVF and the articulated screen.  Compared to the GF1, the G2 feels like a toy, all plasticky and such, with ridiculous placement of controls.  The GF1 is one of the few digital cameras I've used that feels really solid, built like a hockey puck.  Unless I'm carrying more than one body (the GF1 with the 14-42GX, the G2 with the  42-175 and/or, infrequently, my Sony A65 with a Tamron 60mm f2 macro), I will invariably choose the GF1.  At base ISO with proper exposure, the IQ is excellent.  However, as has been mentioned before, the GF1 has a problem with dynamic range, so one really has to strike a careful balance between losing the shadows in noise and blowing out the highlights.  I find myself, contrary to received LULA wisdom, usually exposing to the left.  All said and done, though, I love the little camera.

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »

However, as has been mentioned before, the GF1 has a problem with dynamic range, so one really has to strike a careful balance between losing the shadows in noise and blowing out the highlights.

I agree with the limited dynamic range.  Highlights are often clipped and I also expose to the left by a stop.  The 20/1.7 lens is a gem.  The GF 1 may be an aged model, I still enjoy using it when I need to pocket a camera in my jacket pocket.  I usually convert the images (taken with the GF1) to b&w.
Pages: [1]   Go Up