Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hitch hiking through an Iranian desert  (Read 1953 times)

Ray

Hitch hiking through an Iranian desert
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:09 pm »

I recently re-scanned one of my old Ektachrome slides which is very faded, to try and get a better result than my first attempt several years ago. With increased experience in Photoshop and better scanner software, I think I've produced a reasonable result. What do you think?

The shot was taken 52 years ago with a cheap Canon fixed-lens 35mm camera I'd bought in Tehran. It was my first camera, apart from a Brownie Box camera that I'd played with as a kid.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Hitch hiking through an Iranian desert
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:08:51 pm »

A great shot, Ray. Bravo! It proves, once again, that equipment has almost nothing to do with good photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »

As I said, Ray, in another thread, this is a phenomenal photograph! I first saw it on my iPhone, and thought, for a second, is this a joke, Ray substituting an oil paining for a photo? You know, the word "oil" was the reason for you to post it in the first place, so I thought you are making some sort of a visual pun. Another reason I thought of it as an oil painting is that my grandmother had a similar painting, with something like 18th century Turkish motive, with girls in the field. But I digress, this is just my personal impression.

Looking at images on a puny iPhone screen actually has its advantages, as at that size, a post stamp on steroids kind of, the eye discerns main compositional elements elements easier, also major color elements, without being bothered by details.

Whether it is your improved post processing skills over time, Ektachrome, or the quality of the early morning light (I guess?), but the color gamut in the image is fabulous: soft and muted, yet rich and saturated at the same time. Competent post processing, restrained, no in-your-face effects, just sheer believability! The image has the clarity and 3D of the viewer standing there, as if witnessing a real-life scene.

Composition? Again, seeing it the first time on a small screen, the triangular nature is immediately apparent (a classical group portrait approach). Branches in the foreground add another triangular level to the image, serving as leading lines at the same time (just as the darker stick pointing directly to the girls).

Facial expressions? That is what stopped my in my tracks immediately. Father? Not too far from Steve McCurry's Afghan girl. No, seriously. Girls? The girls seem to be striking a pose worthy of America's Next Top Model (a compliment in this case), however incongruent it might be with the time and place the photo was taken.

All together, Ray, one of the finest images I had the privilege seeing on LuLa or beyond.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:03 pm »

Beautiful photo!
You should post it here so others can enjoy...
www.yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »

Wonderful to have what is now an historical photograph so rich in colour, emotion and presence. It' a real ethnographical study in itself. I echo the Bravos!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

James Clark

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »

Nothing to add that hasn't been said.  It's a wonderful image.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:17 pm »

Very nice!

Your lucky they didn't eat you.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »

A great shot, Ray. Bravo! It proves, once again, that equipment has almost nothing to do with good photography.
+10.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »

All been said. Nicely done.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ray

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:14:48 pm »

Well, I must say I'm flabbergasted at the praise this image is receiving, particularly from Slobodan. I can't recall his ever having been so eloquent before, in his praise of an image.  ;D

Thanks to all of you. Perhaps I'll make a large print to see what others in my local neighborhood think. Perhaps I'll now re-scan the slide repeatedly in order to extract the maximum amount of detail and tonality, or try a wet-scan process, which is something I've considered in the past but have never followed up.

Thanks again.

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:33 am »

Like the image RSL posted of waiting room in airport 1970's style - this image has stood the test of time and now speaks of an era that has passed - no obvious automatic weapon - no anti American expressed sentiment - truly a past era.

Mal

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:19:49 am »

A very nice "find"!

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

mezzoduomo

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:29 am »

Like the image RSL posted of waiting room in airport 1970's style - this image has stood the test of time and now speaks of an era that has passed - no obvious automatic weapon - no anti American expressed sentiment - truly a past era.

Mal

+1.  Lovely shot...

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:51:59 am »

I second Slobodan's comments!

It's really nice and you should be proud to resurrect this gem of a photograph!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:54:23 am by langier »
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

owenn01

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:31 am »

Hi Ray,

What a fine image to have resurrected. I can't add much to what has been so eloquently said already other than in a perverse and rather sad way, the feeling it portrays from the subjects (the adult in partiucular) means it could so easily have been taken yesterday. Well done for putting this out for everyone to see  - a real gem.

Kind regards, N.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 12:09:56 pm »

. . . it could so easily have been taken yesterday.

Or 1,400 years ago.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up