Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And the name will be.... D620?  (Read 3015 times)

Theodoros

And the name will be.... D620?
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:00 pm »

Surprisingly Nikon will introduce another camera in their "crowded" FF line between D610 and D810...

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/11/the-upcoming-nikon-full-frame-dslr-camera-will-be-marketed-as-an-action-camera.aspx/#more-78882

It is supposed to be an "action" camera which will supplement D4S, much like D700 did with D3/D3S.... Given that the new body is expected to be "faster" than D610, with 51AF system and "sensible" size files, I wonder what the name may be and what sensor will be used into it...

My first guess for naming would be D620 based on the following scenario: Nikon's naming policy for the last 5 years is four digit/odd starting number for APS-C (DX) bodies and 3 digits/even starting number for FF (FX) bodies... Thus, one might have expected an FF D400 in the line, but this would suggest a lower price model than D610, so it can't be... Alternatively, what may be smart, is that Nikon may introduce this as a part of the D6xx series, let D610 price fell further down and then replace D610 with a "new" D4xx line....

My guess for sensor would be for the 16mp one that they already use in D4S and DF... The guess is based on the following: 1. It will provide a sensible "upgrade" link to D700 owners, 2. It is "their own" exclusive sensor & 3. It is a great performance sensor...

Anyway, whatever the name or the resolution might be, there seems that they have realised the marketing mistake they did by not providing a real replacement of the D700 when D800 was first introduced... They disappointed most of their FF marketing base at those days (with the completely different D800) and they where penalised (marketing wise) for that...
It is a widely spread (and discussed) subject that D800/E introduction should have been a D800S(16mp)/D800E(36mp) combination in the first place, given that they had both sensors available at those days.  :'(

Vladimirovich

Re: And the name will be.... D620?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:35 pm »

Sony Semi might sell them 12mp sensor (used in A7s)...

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »

Sony Semi might sell them 12mp sensor (used in A7s)...

Anything is possible, but I suspect they haven't consider using that sensor for the following reasons:

1. Whenever they have used a Sony sensor, they 've done so before Sony passed it in one of their own models.
2. Their own 16mp one is a proven design with exceptional image quality widely appreciated in the market and trusted by pros... it will add prestige to the camera especially if they market the camera as an "action" product.
3. They will profit more by not paying for "rights" to another maker and by increasing the production of their own sensor further thus reducing production costs.
4. D4's sensor is already considered as D3 sensor replacement and thus it will link automatically the new camera to the D700 and the relation that it shared with the pro series.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:41:23 pm »

Anything is possible, but I suspect they haven't consider using that sensor for the following reasons:

1. Whenever they have used a Sony sensor, they 've done so before Sony passed it in one of their own models.

for everything there is a first time

2. Their own 16mp one is a proven design with exceptional image quality widely appreciated in the market and trusted by pros... it will add prestige to the camera especially if they market the camera as an "action" product.

but the point is not to position the camera above D4 (and Df is a niche product) - so no harm done to 16mp "exceptionality" ... and BTW Nikon 16mp does not beat Sony 12mp except in resolution in any tests.

3. They will profit more by not paying for "rights" to another maker and by increasing the production of their own sensor further thus reducing production costs.

they still buy Sony Semi sensors... D810 for example... so there is nothing strange in buying one more

4. D4's sensor is already considered as D3 sensor replacement and thus it will link automatically the new camera to the D700 and the relation that it shared with the pro series.

considered by Nikon (and so you can supply a proof link to the official statement, press conference, etc) or by rumors sites ?

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: the name doesn't matter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:10 pm »

Nikon Rumors says in the linked post that it's going to be a 24MP camera, and their track record is pretty good. As for what it's going to be called, who cares?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:43:36 pm by RobSaecker »
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Theodoros

Re: the name doesn't matter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:28:57 pm »

Nikon Rumors says in the linked post that it's going to be a 24MP camera, and their track record is pretty good. As for what it's going to be called, who cares?

They don't say it's going to be the 24mp sensor... they say it is expected..., the name (this time) has a special significance for some reasons... For starters it won't be D7xx since a camera starting with odd number is outside their naming policy for their later FX products (odd starting number, four digits for DX - even starting number, three digits for FX), ...then, since there are only D6xx or D8xx options and since the product is priced in between the D610 and D810, it can only be related body wise with one of them... in case that it will be the D810, it will mean that they have decided the D800S/D800E path that most people where suggesting they should have followed in the first place... In case it will be the D610, it will possibly mean that the new camera will take the D610 place and thus D610 should be dropped further in price, until it will be finally replaced by a new entry market FF line... (the D4xx series).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:08 pm »

Or this is simply a mistake and we will get a DX camera called D9000 with "D400" specs and a Toshiba sensor with in sensor focus at 20 fps?

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »

I'm not buying another Nikon camera until they come out with a FF mirrorless in F mount.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:59:42 pm »

I'm not buying another Nikon camera until they come out with a FF mirrorless in F mount.

John,

I guess we all have our own priorities. As far as I am concerned I'll look into any option that can help tap into the potential of the lens line up I own in various shooting situations. As of now the D810 is totally splendid from that standpoint.

I have had the opportunity to play with the a7r several times. It is a nice camera for sure, but compactness is the only clear advantage it has over the D810 in my view. I still far prefer the experience I am getting with a good OVF compared to EVFs. All in all, the D810 seems like a significantly superior camera if you own Nikon lenses. I do understand the appeal for Canon shooter though.

If Nikon were to be smart, they would release a a7 like platform but make it 100% open in terms of software, AF, raw file format,... and roll out their own line up of 5 extremely high end lenses with Otus like image quality. Using the F mount would mean existing lenses, which would mean not much value in terms of compactness either.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:04:27 pm by BernardLanguillier »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:24:34 pm »

If Nikon where going to come out with a FX mirrorless, I would like it to have a shorter flange with a dedicated adapter for F-mount lenses (with full functionality).

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:52:54 am »

If Nikon where going to come out with a FX mirrorless, I would like it to have a shorter flange with a dedicated adapter for F-mount lenses (with full functionality).

They would probably release that, just like they have for the 1 series mirrorless cameras.

Cheers,
Bernard

stamper

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 04:29:45 am »

Quote Theodoros.

Surprisingly Nikon will introduce another camera in their "crowded" FF line between D610 and D810...

unquote.

You state that they will introduce another camera and then go on to quote rumours. I don't see a rational connection between the two.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 04:35:21 am »

If they comewith an updated D700,with the A7s sensor, I would be pretty happy :D
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Theodoros

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 10:16:51 am »

FX mirrorless is an inevitable choice for the future... It may not suit those (like me) that their "visualisation" can't function for "normal" photography unless they look through an OVF... but it's a must for those who work tethered or work with view cameras (look at that masterpiece! http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item34298.html ) or those who do creative video. OTOH, those who start with mirroless, they do so with APS-c no matter if the mount can accept FF...

But however, this is not the case here! ...here we may have to deal with a company that confesses that they have done wrong choices by avoiding their customers demand and is whiling to ...listen!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:21:56 am by Theodoros »

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:11 am »

Quote Theodoros.

unquote.

You state that they will introduce another camera and then go on to quote rumours. I don't see a rational connection between the two.
Good point, you are right! ...I'm influenced by my belief that they will introduce an "action" FF product (as the NR rumour insists) and that this will mean an excuse to their old customers (who only had D700 to choose) for ignoring them... I'm certain of that, because (I believe) they've been punished enough (marketwise) for ignoring the ones that have supported them to enter the FF market in the first place.  :-\ ...still, you are right though! ...but they will!  :)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:43:06 am »

If I could drop a 24MP sensor into my D700, that would do very nicely thank you. I'm singularly unimpressed by the D600/D610, and the D800 just seems a little bit overkill, though I'm seriously looking at that as my next DSLR. A consumer-level D6xx camera, with that limited focussing-point coverage, is of no interest, but a D700 quality machine would be another matter.

Theodoros

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:10 am »

If I could drop a 24MP sensor into my D700, that would do very nicely thank you. I'm singularly unimpressed by the D600/D610, and the D800 just seems a little bit overkill, though I'm seriously looking at that as my next DSLR. A consumer-level D6xx camera, with that limited focussing-point coverage, is of no interest, but a D700 quality machine would be another matter.

Most say the same for 2.5 years now (they may only differ on the 24 or the 16mp sensor choice which is of less importance)... but the stupid "golden boys of marketing" in the marketing sections of makers are "playing" DEFF...  :'( MO is that a D810S having the D4S/DF sensor in it and with a price around the 2.5K mark would crash the FF market... It would make the best selling FF DSLR of all times...  :D

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:16 am »

I will not buy another FF Canon until they come with a Sony sensor.  :D
Eduardo
Pages: [1]   Go Up