Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fancy + More  (Read 1986 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Fancy + More
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »

Does this work? Like the color. C&C requested
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:00:14 pm by Todd Suttles »
One Day At A Time

stamper

Re: Fancy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 04:15:09 am »

It is possibly a little over saturated? It is old and weather beaten but the paint work looks fresh. Possibly a recent paint job? Overall I like it. IMO a good composition.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:17:43 am »

I love this kind of thing, Todd, and I shoot a lot of it when I'm in Florida. Looking at the condition of the red paint, I have to disagree with Stamper about a recent paint job. I think the problem is a large movement of the saturation slider.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »

I think it does work and I'd thread the needle between reality and artistic license with regard to saturation. Unless of course, it really was that red ;)

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:19:56 am »

Pulled the red saturation increase back by half. I think this is more believable. I liked it intense, but did not want observer's first thought to be, "oh, he really pushed the reds" and that is clearly the dominant reaction. So thanks....  -t
One Day At A Time

owenn01

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:17 am »

Hi Todd,

The reds are much more subtle on this version and 'believeable' if that's the word one wants to use. Is it better? I'm not sure actually as the original had a certain impact that I think isn't quite there in this version. I do like the haphazard composition though - it's got that element of reality about it, as though it is entirely unstaged and just left to the elements to do with as they wish.

A great find and nothing like that over here I'm sorry to say!

Kind regards, N.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

Owen, you might want to let us know where "over here" is. Filling in "Location" in your profile would do that.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

owenn01

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:18:05 am »

Ah - the variances of profiles on different sites... And an ageing memory as well!  :)

Sorry about that - it's the UK and I will update the profile accordingly. Thanks for the headsup!

Kind regards, Neil.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:09:34 am »

Hi Todd,

...s it better?... I'm not sure actually as the original had a certain impact that I think isn't quite there in this version....
Kind regards, N.
Thanks Neil for your input. I think this one will have to be printed both ways and lived with for a while before I will find a preference. I felt something was gained and lost by the adjustment too.
-t
One Day At A Time

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »

I find the new version more believable, which I generally like. But I'm not sure whether I prefer it to the "in your face" impact of the first version.

Give them both time before you pick.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

shawnino

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »

I think the edited version with the dialled back saturation is very good.
Great composition period.

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »

Todd

I am attracted to the first image however maybe a little selective desaturation might help.

For instance the leaf littler on the roof. Also consider using a mask to slightly pull back that fluro pink on the window and door frames so just the three posts in the foreground are fully alive - that would give you a little more depth. This also could involve a curves layer mask to lighten just that one off white post so it comes forward out of the gloom.

But then again I am a Photoshop tweaker obsessive - so perhaps its just fine as it stands.

Mal

PS - Russ please note no cloning or cropping involved  ;)

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
Re: Fancy + More
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »

Here are two more "sides" of the Fancy House I posted earlier this week. The reds do not match across all three images, but they did not in Real Life. Does that bother anyone? I still have not printed these yet so reds are not decided yet. Thanks in advance for any C&C.
-t

PS Will post the fourth side independent of these. It stands alone, B&W.
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »

Todd

I am attracted to the first image however maybe a little selective desaturation might help.

For instance the leaf littler on the roof. Also consider using a mask to slightly pull back that fluro pink on the window and door frames so just the three posts in the foreground are fully alive - that would give you a little more depth. This also could involve a curves layer mask to lighten just that one off white post so it comes forward out of the gloom.

But then again I am a Photoshop tweaker obsessive - so perhaps its just fine as it stands.

Mal

PS - Russ please note no cloning or cropping involved  ;)
YES That helped assuming I did what you had in mind?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:36:52 pm by Todd Suttles »
One Day At A Time

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
Re: Fancy + More
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »

Todd

From where I stand I think that is an improvement - undoubtedly others will see it differently.

I guess as we each learn ways of adjusting what the camera recorded to match what you experienced we have more choice on how we want our finished image to be.

Regards

Mal
Pages: [1]   Go Up